Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Dapol Dave said:

And yes, the more i look at it i think its going to be mighty fine in OO gauge, great in N and who knows in 'O'? :secret:

Ambassador is this an O gauge western? or are you spoiling us ??? :O :o :wub: (said in a french accent)

I remember when this thread started I mentioned about Dapol doing this in O gauge before they had publicly anounced there introduction into O gauge and it promptly got deleted from the thread!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmm O gauge version please please :D

My friend and I are currently in the planning stages of an exhibition standard WR N gauge DCC with sound layout, we will be buying a couple of westerns, however if some were to come out with sound fitted and the sound was a good enough representation, you'd definately sell a minimum of two or three to us!

Cheers,

Benn.

Hi everyone,

The cad/design for this model is reaching a slow but hopfully great conclusion and i put the latest pictures here for your delectation and comment.

I'm not sure of the curved front window ledge to be honest as i could see this in my pictures, but things to look out for include the side profile now looks nicely curved and the roof and cab front windows are way better without those awful rivets.

So please take a look, and yes the valance is fitted to the coupler but a separate valance will be supplied without the coupling arm hole. I'm not sure of a way to improve this so the valance is fixed so i'd appreciate any thougths on this matter too.

Cheers

Dave

Edit, to show both sides of the Western for clarity

post-1144-0-15180500-1326802132_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-99371200-1326802179_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-85525500-1326802207_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-26145700-1326802260_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-42871400-1326802277_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-95121900-1326802309_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-26815600-1326802345_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-96079600-1326802369_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-75445400-1326802410_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-39961500-1326802444_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-79981000-1326808004_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Oh, now that is getting reassuringly close. Despite my modelling choices, these remain my favourite diesel (in fact favourite loco) class, and the way this is heading, I shall be looking at major expenditure when they reach fruition. Fantastic, Dave.

EDIT: the curved ledge beneath the windscreens did have me wondering though, and this (admittedly) upwards shot makes me wonder still more - http://www.flickr.co...axe/2224317524/ - the edge on D1023 here looks practically straight. Maybe a discernible slight curve here, on scabby 1041, again upwards-facing - http://www.flickr.co...N08/2327071738/. Even looking down, as at D1034 here, doesn't entirely bear out the curving on the CGI - http://www.flickr.co...N08/2843555764/; this suggests a curve on a close up of 1023 again, but there may be some optical distortion importing that feeling - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thingamijig/2390141199/.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

I'm not sure of the curved front window ledge to be honest as i could see this in my pictures,

Capturing things that are barely perceptible is a tough one! I've been comparing all manner of views against reference shots at this end at it's all looking rather good indeed. I know it would be tight but if you could get everything to sit just 1mm lower and reduce the wheel/bodyside spacing I think this would be first loco to properly achieve something close to reality.

Seriously; it is looking excellent.

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

The cad/design for this model is reaching a slow but hopfully great conclusion and i put the latest pictures here for your delectation and comment.

I'm not sure of the curved front window ledge to be honest as i could see this in my pictures, but things to look out for include the side profile now looks nicely curved and the roof and cab front windows are way better without those awful rivets.

So please take a look, and yes the valance is fitted to the coupler but a separate valance will be supplied without the coupling arm hole. I'm not sure of a way to improve this so the valance is fixed so i'd appreciate any thougths on this matter too.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

That is starting to look brilliant now!

A few minor points.

There should be a slightly bigger spacing between the top slat and the top of the main bodyside grill cutouts.

The middle valence still shows the post Ealing battery box door clips, which limits the model to post 1973

The bottom of the cab door should have a slight outward taper

The handrail across the top of the nose is missing the central support in the middle of the nose.

The large hinged grills over the engine room windows appear to extend too far down the side. The bottom of the opening panel should be in line with the other roof grills or very slightly lower and the top should be very slightly higher than the others.

I can't be sure looking at the images, but the distance between the top of the bodyside grills and the bottom of the roof grills seems a little to big. It may be down to the perspective of the images creating a telephoto effect!

Are the valences different on both sides? The cadds images only show the same side. The opposite side has a rectangular cut out at one end of the valences.

Also, The rectangular shape shown on the body in the view shown should not be on the other side. Again it isn't possible to see from the views supplied.

The GA I sent you the other day should help to clarify these points.

The profile of the nose looks to be spot on now and the whole thing is really coming together very well!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Edited by Mark
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
I know it would be tight but if you could get everything to sit just 1mm lower and reduce the wheel/bodyside spacing I think this would be first loco to properly achieve something close to reality.

While I can agree with the reasoning I find it hard to see how that might be done without the brake gear fouling the battery boxes. Given that we always have to accept a degree of compromise (we do after all expect our models to negotiate tramway-radius curves in the main and dramatic changes of gradient in some cases) we may have to accept this as such. Unless Dave can suggest otherwise of course.

Seriously; it is looking excellent.

Agreed absolutely. The remaining Hornby Westerns in the fleet had better watch out. The Heljan ones are too new and costly to replace but if Dapol come good with the traction as well as the representation then I'm thinking perhaps 4 or 5 over a couple of years might have to come in this direction.

The nose profile - agreed. The nose in plan view though? Hmmmmm...

Having spent several months climbing all over Western Campaigner, I can assure you the plan view is exactly as it should be. The only thing missing is the middle support for the front hand rail.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Having spent several months climbing all over Western Campaigner, I can assure you the plan view is exactly as it should be. The only thing missing is the middle support for the front hand rail.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Mark, I am heartened by your confidence. Now all we need to be pointed to is a vertically down footbridge shot (or equivalent) from which to draw our own conclusions.

Mark, I am heartened by your confidence. Now all we need to be pointed to is a vertically down footbridge shot (or equivalent) from which to draw our own conclusions.

There is a view in the Bradford Barton book on Westerns Page 81 taken from the wall at Penzance, which gives a good indication of the true shape of the top of the nose, as well as the images I have posted earlier in this thread.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 1

Looks fantastic Dave, I cannot contribute to the discussion about the fine detail. My only hope is you supply a maroon version with no name and number plates so I can name it after my favorite "Governor". Never look right when i rename them over the existing plates supplied.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Hi Dave,

There is a way the valance problem. The Austrian manufacturer Roco had a similar problem with it's model of the Spanish £319 class that, like the Western, has a very obvious buffer beam / valance area.

Roco supplied the loco with 4 removable pieces; 2 with full detail and 2 with a gap for the coupling. Basically the whole area below the body side is removable in the buffer beam / valance area.

(I've got a copy of the images from the Roco spare parts diagrams but I can't get them to load, sorry)

If you go to www.roco.cc>service>ersatzteilblatter then enter 62955 then click on "Suchen" it will give you the spare parts sheet. Look at sections 12 (Open Valance) and 16 (Closed Valance)

Hopefully the pictures will give you a better idea of what I'm trying to describe!.

Luke

Looks fantastic Dave, I cannot contribute to the discussion about the fine detail. My only hope is you supply a maroon version with no name and number plates so I can name it after my favorite "Governor". Never look right when i rename them over the existing plates supplied.

Good idea, how about doing them all unnumbered/named, so easy to do yourselfs with numberplates rather than number transfers!! (blue western for me) ill decide name later.... :-)

• Like 1