Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi everyone,

And here's a question..............................who thinks we should sell sound equipped DCC ready Westerns using our big speaker and a loc sound4? (just sounding you out (excuse the pun))

Thoughts and questions are as usual welcomed.

cheers

Dave

Provided the sound chip has been programmed with quality sounds ( there are a number of sound chips of varying quality available now) I think it would have appeal and I would certainly be on the list of buyers

• RMweb Premium

If it were capable of sounding off on DC as well - and I know some can do that - I might be interested also. The biggest problem is not the operating system but the neighbours. The outdoor line runs along the fence and I'm not sure how well a shift worker will take to a Western in full flight passing a few feet from their windows!!

This is looking really encouraging,a sound fitted Western would be the dogs dangly bits for me (in BR Blue),and given the recent quality of Dapol products in both 00 and N, and their very realistic pricing - which I think has made others sit up and take note- We will definitely have something to look forward to... I need to start saving.

A very happy new year to you all.

• Like 1

I will need to look into a P4 wheelset... in a bid for perfection in what appears will be a superb representation of the class. Did I read somewhere that Dapol would be offering EM/P4 wheelsets for these... or was that just very wishful thinking?

Jon

Oh, and Happy new year y'all

Edited by Jon020

• RMweb Premium

I will need to look into a P4 wheelset... in a bid for perfection in what appears will be a superb representation of the class. Did I read somewhere that Dapol would be offering EM/P4 wheelsets for these... or was that just very wishful thinking?

Jon

Oh, and Happy new year y'all

Dapol Dave did canvas support for a P4 wheelset, although the idea was put on hold when Ultrascale appeared to be reconsidering their earlier negative vibes towards producing some.

EDIT: come to think of it that was the 22 not the 52.

Edited by spamcan61

Ultrascale already have P4 wheels for a Western which could be produced for this model. The issue with the class 22 is producing conductive spoked wheels for use with the split axle pickups.

I sent Ultrascale my drawings of the Western Wheel several years ago and the wheel was produced against these drawings. Ultrascale are the only company who produce a wheel for both the Western and the Warship with the correct disc profile. This profile is totally different to the disc profile on coach wheels.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 1

Hi Chaps,

With Chinese New Year quickly descending on us like a 2 week holiday turning into a 4 week marathon :banghead: the cad engineer has improved further the cad/cam of the Western for your comments.

I also attach the profile of the Western with measurements so we can hopefully sort out the bodyside profile once and for all.

Not much more to do now, and once this one is accepted i'll get the battery box fittings changed as a separate entity rather than muck around with this version when its 'locked down'.

Anyway, comments appreciated.

And yes, the more i look at it i think its going to be mighty fine in OO gauge, great in N and who knows in 'O'? :secret:

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-29190100-1325754251_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-40373400-1325754277_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-86824500-1325754303_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-48458100-1325754324_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-94076100-1325754344_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-11980000-1325754366_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-55372500-1325754381_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-70600700-1325754402_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-13404600-1325754423_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-30001800-1325754448_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Well it certainly looks like a "1000" and I see how the brake rodding can be made to clear the main bodywork on a layout curve. Some of that detail looks very fine indeed - the speedo cable for example which is an item that breaks on some other locos if so much as looked at. And I could believe from those CADs that this loco might even have functional suspension ............ B)

Edited by Gwiwer

Hi Chaps,

With Chinese New Year quickly descending on us like a 2 week holiday turning into a 4 week marathon :banghead: the cad engineer has improved further the cad/cam of the Western for your comments.

I also attach the profile of the Western with measurements so we can hopefully sort out the bodyside profile once and for all.

Not much more to do now, and once this one is accepted i'll get the battery box fittings changed as a separate entity rather than muck around with this version when its 'locked down'.

Anyway, comments appreciated.

And yes, the more i look at it i think its going to be mighty fine in OO gauge, great in N and who knows in 'O'? :secret:

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

They still haven't got the drop of the roof correct either side of the horn. The curve should be much less severe forward of the horn than shown on the cadds file. Also the rivets are still shown on the roof panels and sand box fillers.

The cross-section section you posted implies they have got the lower valences vertical again!

The nose should have some curvature along the top of the ledge in the horizontal plane. Also the fold line in the middle of the nose should also be curved slightly and the upper edge of the nose is not a straight edge. It is curved. This is quite clear on the cadds model I sent you if you wish to refer the Chinese to this area for scrutiny. Basically if you draw a triangle from the top centre of the nose running to either side of the headcode panel top corners, then everything inside this triangle follows the angle of the top of the headcode panel, but is curved slightly in the vertical plane. Outside of this triangle, the nose curves rearwards to the edge of the loco. I can send you a simple cadds sketch to illustrate what I mean, but it has been done that way in the model I sent you.

Do you have a copy of David Birt's book 'A Tribute to the Western's' published in 1988? He produced a set of measurements that tied up quite well when I measured Western Campaigner. If you don't have a copy, let me know and I will send you a pdf file by PM.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 7

Dapol Dave said:

Ambassador is this an O gauge western? or are you spoiling us ??? :O :o :wub: (said in a french accent)

I remember when this thread started I mentioned about Dapol doing this in O gauge before they had publicly anounced there introduction into O gauge and it promptly got deleted from the thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by steve fay

Dave,

I can't quite make out how the NEM pocket is attached. In the face.on CAD picture, it looks like it is moulded as part of the lower front skirt portion, i.e. not pivoted, nor on a cam, but immoveably fixed... surely not? Or does that skirt part move with the bogie, like the old Hornby Western? Or is the skirt on a close-coupling cam attavhment, like the Roco 'Ludmilla'?

• RMweb Premium

As one who grew up listening to Westerns every day, I would love a sound version, one would have to have the chip volume turned high because they were very loud unmistakable engines.

Dave, apart from what looks to be a great model,this has been the most enlightening read ever, into the trials and tribulations of creating a model from a manufacturers perspective, I think that this is an area too many people take for granted when buying a model and then nit-pick over small detail.

Also someone mentioned an element of working suspension springs... I wonder if they have seen the links to Bachmann china on another site where there appears to be a pre production HO chinese electric loco with sprung suspension.

Thanks again for shareing your thoughts and progress.

This looks like it will be a wonderful model. I really appreciate the effort that is going in to it to get it right.

Just for the record, I would buy a sound equiped one (if it was in BR Blue :D ). If it came without sound the first thing I would do would be to buy a sound decoder for it.

Cheers,

John.