The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

James May's Toy Stories

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Now what about the Saturn 5 Airfix kit?

There was a beastie... I'd love to get hold of one of those again :D

Hi

I have an unbuilt model in its box (it might even still be in the plastic bags I can't remember) if you are interested make me an offer.

Cheers

Paul

Do you mean sprue? That was to make it look exactly like the original supplied kit. I did laugh at the saw being used to remove bits from the fret!

Yes, that amused me as well, particularly because the sprue looked to be nothing more than drain pipes gaffer taped to the parts! :D

• RMweb Premium

There was a beastie... I'd love to get hold of one of those again biggrin.gif

The Saturn V is still available - easy to find too if Google is anything to go by. At 1:144 it's not too far of N Gauge either...

The requirement for sensationalism was a bit sad though in a way (you can just build a tank model, get in a real one; can't just build a Spitfire, need to build a massive one) but then I guess my generation doesn't really have the imagination or the wartime memories of the last (ie James') for building Spitfires etc.

The sensationalism helped make me feel ten again! There's no point building a model unless there's some context to go with it. Todays kids are separated from many of the Airfix models by two or three generations. Without seeing the real thing how can you spark an interest in building a model of it? You start with something you know and then move on to stuff you don't. Visiting the APCs and James' flight in the Spitfire gave that insight, without which the program would have been very different. How many of us watched the programme and were jelous of that flight and then started itching to build an Airfix kit as a result?

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

the airfix episode of toy stories has restarted my enthusiasm for airfix kits, so i purchased a couple today, predictably a spitfire being one of them. the last time i made them i was just a kid, when i made them before i just painted them whatever looked right. when i picked up a box today i noticed there were about 10 different paint numbers....... is this just a con to make you spend more, it seems a little daft to spend ??12 on a kit , then the same again on paints. Is it a case of you just have to buy the paints once and that most kits will only then require you to buy the main colours.. in the end i just looked inside the box and purchased the 3 main colour numbers, i already have the blacks and silvers etc. we'll see how it goes anyway. There were some rather good looking big kits i wouldnt mind having a go at for around ??35. i know theyre probably all packaging with a tiny kit inside ....perhaps someone could recommend some good kits (prefably ones still easy to get hold of) , id prefer to stick to planes and boats, preferably 1930s and onwards, nothing too old.

• RMweb Premium

I watched the Sunday night repeat and found it delightful! I confess that when I was 10, I was into Lego rather than Airfix!

Let's hope the other episodes are just as enjoyable!

Guest TomTank

I'm really enjoying this series, James has that great way of presenting and entertaining!

I really enjoyed Episode 1 and was going to miss episode 2 thinking Plasticine wouldn't be my thing, but decided to watch

and really enjoyed it.

Obviously the Model Railway one is the one I'm really looking forward to but I must say this series really doesn't disappoint!

Guest stuartp

The Spit was 'Haldane Place', an address etched forever on my memory having seen in on literally hundreds of Airfix 'Missing Part' slips over the last 35 years.

I loved the completely non-plussed reaction of the RHS judges to the plasticene garden !

It is directly equivalent to exhibiting horses at a model railway exhibition and entering them in the best scratchbuilt loco category. That's bound to trouble judges. No wheels, no paintwork, no drawing to judge fidelity against...

What wasn't made clear was how lucky May was to get in. Chelsea is planned way in advance and exhibition slots are fiercely competed for. Someone must have dropped out very late in the day for him to get that patch of ground. Quite who had the courage to allow a non-horticultural entry would make a story: this is a society which regards silk flowers as the spawn of satan.

There was a beastie... I'd love to get hold of one of those again biggrin.gif

Its been re-released for the 40th anniversary of the moon landing. Just spotted on in Ian Allen, Waterloo.

What wasn't made clear was how lucky May was to get in. Chelsea is planned way in advance and exhibition slots are fiercely competed for. Someone must have dropped out very late in the day for him to get that patch of ground. Quite who had the courage to allow a non-horticultural entry would make a story: this is a society which regards silk flowers as the spawn of satan.

But the publicity didn't do Chelsea any harm....

But the publicity didn't do Chelsea any harm....

SWMBO is an RHS member. The main reasons James May got in to Chelsea are because several sponsors of the large gardens pulled out last year due to the recession. This coincided with a number of designers deciding to take a year off. That left a fair bit of extra space available. Some of which was used for commercial sales. The Beeb have a very good working relationship with the society as well. It was a lot of fun. We were there on opening day and was standing just to the right of the camera when he went on his 'up the revolution rant'. While he played up the whole plant snobbery thing, the truth is apart from a few stuffed shirts it was very well received. Little known fact is he is the first to sneak in a garden gnome.

Guest 009matt

At the school I work in, we runa robotics club. After seeing this programme, a number of boys and girls ho are part of the robotics club asked 'Can we have an Airfix club?' I replied 'Of course' Woohoo!

At the school I work in, we run a robotics club. After seeing this programme, a number of boys and girls ho are part of the robotics club asked 'Can we have an Airfix club?' I replied 'Of course' Woohoo!

OK, Sir, so you've started an Airfix club; can we have a Meccano club too, please, Sir, please? We want to build a bridge........ :icon_lol:

Archived