The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

James May's Toy Stories

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up on this 4 part series which starts this Tuesday night 27th at 8pm on BBC2.The first one has some Lego and Airfix items in it so I'm assuming its the episode showing the laying of track from Bideford in a world record attempt.Looking forward to it.

I thought there were 5 episodes in total, each dealing with a particular them. The ones I know about are Airfix, Plasticine,Lego, scalextrix and Model Railways (not necesserily in that order). I think this coming Tuesday 8.00pm BBC2 is the one about Airfix. Looking forward to it as an enthusuiastic user of them in the 1960s and 70s

:icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob

Just finished watching the Airfix one (like many on here I'm sure).

Can't believe though that the TV mob thought that you could build a full size plane and not have any structure beneath holding the thing up - I'm sure in the end a whole heap more reinforcement than we saw went in to the pieces of the kit.

Good on Mr May though for bringing old school constructive hobbies back to the attention of the young folk.

Should be an interesting series - pity the model railway challenge was perhaps a bit too....challenging.

Am I the only one who noticed the cadet fail? Didn't fall out on time which looks bad on parade, worse nat. TV.

Still, majorly impressed by the whole operation. Wasnt sure how they'd make a fret that big.

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful show, a real tonic.

Given the chance to fly a Spitfire I'd do just the same as James May "Tally Ho! Dakka, dakka, dakka":D

Did you spot the big grin on his face when the plane had landed?! I can't blame him for that (going a shade of green here)

Superb - loved every minute of that. I wonder if we could do something similar, like making a Kitmaster Blue Pullman full size... ;)

*ducks for cover!

Stop swearing Simon it's the Blu@ P***man :rolleyes: - anyway, piece of cake - there's would be enough wi$hlisters to build a full set :D

Bob.

I do wonder if Hornby has had any serious involvement in this, seeing as they own Scalextric and Airfix. I'd put a big bet on the model railway using Hornby's RTR products.

Watched tonight's episode and loved it, reminds me of his other programs before, especially one where he did a run down on the best boy's toys and model railways came in at number 1! :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Good fun telly - what more could one want on TV midweek!! On 'series link' now.

Actually the 'Around the World in 80 Days' that followed was rather good too with the big Russian trains and top totty!

"Top Totty" - don't the Russians have strange names for their locos.....

• RMweb Premium

I think Airfix have just released a 1:24 Mosquito, I am rather temped to go and buy one.

David

The Mosi was always my favourite kit as a kid. Must have built and crashed / blown up dozens! (Not with an air rifle or gunpowder though!)

My dad (who was in training for Bomber Command when the war ended) once carved a mosi from a piece of wood from a real (crashed) one. I'm hoping he's still got it somewhere.

Despite the fun building them, it was also de rigeur (as James mentioned more than once) to destroy them from time to time with bangers or airguns, and I thought the stop-action tank battle film was brilliant!

I remember once having a large collection of Airfix warships, including Bismarck, Hood and several cruisers and destroyers. They met their end in a friend's garden as we re-enacted the sinking of the Bismarck using airguns and lobbing darts at them from long range (pity he didn't have a decent sized pond!).

Archived