The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

James May's Toy Stories

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

The two remaining episodes are the model railway one, and the Lego house. As the model railway one was trailered at the end of episode 4 (Scalextric) as being on at Christmas, then I expect it is episode 5, and the Lego one episode 6 probably to be aired at new year. This is all just conjecture though, I have no inside info.

• RMweb Gold

AGHHH I will have to wait then ,,its like hanging out for a new episode of LOST

According to my sources, ;) the railway episode is due to be aired on Monday December 21st,BBC2 at 9.00pm.

AFAIC James May has done a power of good in this series.

It made Harry pick up a Mossie and make it up over the last couple of weekends; a good champion for lads' hobbies.

Mossie.jpg

Although the Keyhaven works played a small part in Hitler's downfall with component manufacture of engine parts I'm not sure it was entirely appropriate for this crew to try a short-field landing on the quayside.

• RMweb Premium

AFAIC James May has done a power of good in this series.

It made Harry pick up a Mossie and make it up over the last couple of weekends; a good champion for lads' hobbies.

post-1-12594158538053_thumb.jpg

Although the Keyhaven works played a small part in Hitler's downfall with component manufacture of engine parts I'm not sure it was entirely appropriate for this crew to try a short-field landing on the quayside.

That is a great made model of the Mossie. My complements to the builder. :icon_clap: :icon_clap:Top Job. :icon_wow: :icon_wow:

Terry.

That actually inspired me to go round the corner (there's a model shop there, no railways though unfortunately) and buy an Airfix spitfire if they have any. I used to love doing those when I was a kid.

I also found out Hornby have re-done the classic kit with glue, paints and paintbrush supplied in the box. Now there's no excuse!

Quick Update according to the Express and Star, the Model Railway episode will be broadcast at 7pm on Christmas Day.

One of the TV guides also said this, but the BBC site is saying that the Xmas day showing is the Lego House, and no mention of the Hornby episode

Edit - the above is reported on the Press release page, on the main schedule it is still down as: Episode 5 (Lego) will be broadcast on BBC Two on Sunday 20 December 2009 at 19.00, and will be repeated on Wednesday 30 December at 20.00.

Episode 6 (Hornby) will be broadcast on BBC Two on Christmas Day (Friday 25 December 2009) at 19.00, and will be repeated on Sunday 27 December 2009 at 18.45.

Jim

One of the TV guides also said this, but the BBC site is saying that the Xmas day showing is the Lego House, and no mention of the Hornby episode

Edit - the above is reported on the Press release page, on the main schedule it is still down as: Episode 5 (Lego) will be broadcast on BBC Two on Sunday 20 December 2009 at 19.00, and will be repeated on Wednesday 30 December at 20.00.

Episode 6 (Hornby) will be broadcast on BBC Two on Christmas Day (Friday 25 December 2009) at 19.00, and will be repeated on Sunday 27 December 2009 at 18.45.

Jim

Arrr so thats why i cant find it on i-player, thought it was shown a couple of weeks agolaugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Hornby episode now. Quite entertaining, though that niggling yet ever present bias against model railways appeared now and then. I'd have thought Mr May of all people would not feel the need to emphatically deny too much interest in modelling but there you go.

I dont think he did, its more the anti bore people, like the guy in the model shop when james rolled his eyes, yes its all good being an expert and passionate about a subject, be it aeroplanes, cars, boats etc, they keep it to themselves, the railway guys openly talk out in public in the nazaly voice... thats a such n such xyz pacific 1942 blah blah blah when talking to people who dont really know or want to know about it, which i think is where the trainspotters and trainbores let themselves down and get the bore reputation, its not the interest in the subject itself.

Mike

I'm not so sure Mike - look at the way they put the guy with the G scale garden railway - 1 he came across as not being the sharpest knife in the block, and 2 the shots taken of the perplexed bloke obviously operating it again showed people within the hobby as somewhat odd. I watched it with my two sons who are not into railways - well much anyway - who both were of the same opinion.

There was a lot of stereotyping done, thank god for the shots of Pendon which showed how it can be done. I suppose in the long run it can only be good in selling Hornby trainsets and getting people interested but I was left a little dissapointed overall.

I only caught brief snippets of the program (going to watch the full episode now), and thought the comparisons between Minatur Wonderland, Pendon, and the G scale layout were interesting, and know full well what colleagues are going to say when back at work. I think most people on here might be have quite a strong opinion as to which camp they're in, but to me the outside perception is of the G scale layout when the other two are far greater accomplishments to be proud of. As for the bloke in question looking Nerdy, that's society for you and something that had to be included in the programme to play up to a certain stereotype. I'm sure Pete Waterman would have been available, but wasn't asked because it would have repeated the Toy Stories programme from a couple of years ago.

And another point, why did the entire population of Bideford think it necessary to chase after the trains...? Yes I know they're excited to be on telly, and nothing much has happened down there since the spoof story about the Jackson family moving in, but I don't think the director was yelling "CUT!" too often, and re-filming a scene to add a Chav nearly tripping over the train...

If anyone on here was involved, I hope you feel justifiably proud to be part of the event and it's a shame it wasn't the sucess it ought to have been. Now let's hope it does Hornby and the hobby in general some good. Merry Christmas...!!

Guest Max Stafford

thank god for the shots of Pendon which showed how it can be done...

...and how not to operate permissive block...! ;)

That type of garden set up is pretty eccentric though, but as it appears to be on the Shearings bus tour route, I'm sure the mad old git makes a bit of pocket money out of it!

I enjoyed the programme though, it was a bit of fun, but there was genuine passion involved in this project which was clearly displayed by many involved in organising the project. A seven mile run by a small group of model trains must surely have set a couple of records and the Javelin's performance spoke of a quality model. In the end it was probably wheel and brush wear that finished it off!

Dave.

Archived