The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

James May's Toy Stories

gwrrob

I agree, it was a great piece of TV.

Especially liked the stop action battle B) B)

Not too sure about next weeks episode - Plasticine garden at the Chelsea flower show?

The following week - Tuesday 10th Nov is the Meccano one, which should be another good hours worth of TV :) :)

• RMweb Gold

I think Airfix have just released a 1:24 Mosquito, I am rather temped to go and buy one.

David

Its not out yet David.I guess it will be a stonker though. B)

• RMweb Gold

I thought one of the best bits was when one of the kids held tightly on to the tank that had been made not wanting it blown up. I was also impressed by the comments from some of the the kids saying they would carrying on making things after they were done.

All in all a good hour of telly and its on series record so I do not miss any of the others.

Missed it last night :icon_frustrated: , no reason other than I just plain forgot !! :mad:, is it repeated at all anywhere, quick scan of the listings says not.

Kindest

Michael

I've just watched it on Iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nnm3d/James_Mays_Toy_Stories_Airfix/

Thought it was very good, had to laugh at the bit where the kids took the tank kits home and almost all of them were actually built by their dads :D :D

I would probably have done the same, taken over from my kids.......

Regards

Neal.

I've just watched it on Iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nnm3d/James_Mays_Toy_Stories_Airfix/

Thought it was very good, had to laugh at the bit where the kids took the tank kits home and almost all of them were actually built by their dads :D :D

I would probably have done the same, taken over from my kids.......

Regards

Neal.

Thanks for the link, will find a spare moment today to watch it.

Kindest

Michael

• RMweb Gold

I thought one of the best bits was when one of the kids held tightly on to the tank that had been made not wanting it blown up

I can empathise with that! I often thought about having a sea battle with my fleet of Airfix warships, but could never bring myself to destroy days of modelling work!

I just loved the programme, though, even CTMK looked interested at the idea of a plasticene flower display next week!

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the publicity has done them a favour - I keep getting intermittent "Service Unavailable" messages on airfix.com. On a Wednesday afternoon? GET BACK TO WORK!!

The 'May effect' - I was chatting to someone on my round (no, not R Mail as I would not have any time to chat) today and their 13 year old son had dug out some kits and was busy doing them. I thought most 13 year old boys considered making models as c**p? My faith is almost restored!

Sincerely, N.V. Revell

Great program. Mr May has a quiet charm which is very endearing and well suited to these types of programs. Makes a change from swearing cooks! I was slightly disappointed that it didn't deal more with the history of Airfix or show a few more of the models. But overall thats just a small observation. I had fleets of warships and squadrons of WW2 and Jet fighters . Enjoyed making them up and playing with them- never thought of putting gunpowder in them! A good dose of nostalgia and hopefully it would attract folks back to Airfix too. :)

I think Airfix have just released a 1:24 Mosquito, I am rather temped to go and buy one.

David

There is a virtual build of that on the offcial Airfix Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIiieWvcRK0, it does look nice but far too big for the shelf! I still have a Matchbox Spitfire somewhere and that was big enough!

After the disappointment of things like the TSR2 hopefully Hornby are starting to bring Airfix kits into the 21st century.

I'm going to watch the Airfix one tonight on iPlayer (I don't have a tv), the flowers one next week was that garden that got him an award at Chelsea wasn't it?

I can't remember if anyone every bought the Lego house or if they had to demolish it.

• RMweb Gold

And the first sale of the day was......

The basic Airfix Supermarine Spitfire kit to....

a 10 year old young lady....

and she came back shortly after and bought a Sherman Tank.

The power of advertising. smile.gif

Its also known as the 'Delia Effect'

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed tonights programme icon_clap.gif . Next weeks on Plasticine Flowers hmmmmmmmm....... I think not! back to infant school and plasticine "piggin worms" to quote Mike Harding

So that's why you weren't at Club last night :D

See you Friday - Mike :icon_wave:

The Saturn V was brilliant - even with the bayonet-type connections between the stages - and you could get a real feel of the puny size of the command and lunar modules from it. I don't know what became of my one sad.gif .

It may well have been the last Airfix kit I made - either that or the swing-wing F-111. I was probably about 5 or 6 when I made my first kit - it was an Me-110, a tad ambitious perhaps and I remember getting that horrible stringy glue everywhere. But we all have to start somewhere! I must have driven my grandad mad after that because every time we went to Woolies in Camberwell Green I refused to leave until he bought me a new 2-bob kit (and they were displayed in the late 50s/early 60s almost as prominently as the pick & mix or so it seemed).

I see they decided it needed its reinforcing again after the wheelout!

I enjoyed the program as a bit of entertainment but it didn't seem to have much success in its ambition for the children involved at least. If model shops are seeing a rise in sales though then it'll be excellent publicity.

The requirement for sensationalism was a bit sad though in a way (you can just build a tank model, get in a real one; can't just build a Spitfire, need to build a massive one) but then I guess my generation doesn't really have the imagination or the wartime memories of the last (ie James') for building Spitfires etc.

It was entertaining seeing James have his parents on the show and it does reinforce the fact he hasn't really grown up :lol: .

I look forward to the Hornby one and hope Margate has some extra train sets ready for xmas! Although research http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8328921.stm suggests they need to be sub ??50!

It was also quite funny hearing 'build Airfix' on the BBC without the usual 'other makes are available' for a change. In recent years its more 'build Tamiya/Revell.

Archived