Torrington Mk 1 and Torrington Mk 2

darren01

Hi All

Have now got the layout on the home run! , The wood has turned up and the back since can go up this weekend.

As you can see the trees are almost done, just waiting on new order arriving this week.

I have redone the road leading up to the farm, I was never happy with the way it looked.

I gave it a dry brushing of light grey colour, called clay from a tester pot.

I still have a few more little bits to do,

Add fences.

Concert post putting in and wiring up.

It is now nice to see the layout at this stage, it has been fun and hard work to do, and I must have put in well over thousand hours on it, but the best thousand hours, and i have learnt so much doing this layout.

I will be adding small things to the layout that will just enhance areas in the future.

I have started plans to build a new later this year, based on a pottery’s

Set in Devon ,this one will be only 8 feet long ,including fiddle yard .

I will out up a plan of it soon on here.

I will add more photos as the final bits are put in, but for now, here is

how it looks now.

Soon I will be able to sit back and just enjoy running trains and building my ER1.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-043096200 1286396329_thumb.jpg

post-6929-020418500 1286396359_thumb.jpg

post-6929-080456700 1286396377_thumb.jpg

post-6929-084075800 1286396588_thumb.jpg

You have achieved a great sense of atmosphere in the latest photos. Please post more - this is a superb layout.

All it needs now is a 'shopped sky to remove the brickwork.

Could you show the finished shot of the overhead of the yard with the overbridge (it has dripping plaster on the tops of the bridge walls) with the bridge finished? I really think that shot captures the mood of the layout perfectly. (From 02 October.)

Hi Artisen

The Bridge is now finished; the shot I used was from last week.

I will put up some photo of it this weekend, as I will be able to take the shots during the day (Working nights this time of year sucks)

I would like to thank you all for all your help and kind comments, while I have been building Torrington.

I will post up more photos from time to time, if you have not got to board by now with it?

Can not Waite until Dapol bring out the class 22, as I have photo of one working out of Torrington, on clay trucks.

Here is the photo of it I have of the class 22.

All the very best

Darren

post-6929-083065200 1286425150_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren, I can only add to the remarks about the latest pictures, just fantastic.

I've always been puzzled by the "wiggle" in the tracks just past the platforms in the pictures I've seen (mostly later period & quite obvious in that last picture of the clay train) - any idea why / what was the reason for this?

Hi

Came home from work this morning and had a look in the railway room, with the sun lower in the sky this time of year.

My railway room was lit up, so I got my camera out and did a few shots, as you can see not much more to do.

Just the back since to go up and a bit of concrete post and wire to go in, the layout is now looking very much on the home run.

Have been trying out weather powders for the first time, I saw a video of am American chap using them, and mixing the powder with acrylic vanish, water down.

So I had a go at doing a 16 ton wagon, just need to change those hooks!

I worked the wagon over with a cotton bud, to build up streaks, and a dusting of coal weathering powder.

Let me know what you think, well or bad?

I will post some more photo on Sunday, I will photo the whole layout.

And I must thank you all for you kind comments , it has helped keeping me going over the last few years!.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-088538500 1286535061_thumb.jpg

post-6929-029868900 1286535086_thumb.jpg

post-6929-011099700 1286535139_thumb.jpg

post-6929-061139100 1286535187_thumb.jpg

post-6929-065878600 1286535273_thumb.jpg

post-6929-009133200 1286535743_thumb.jpg

post-6929-083128900 1286535789_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This thread is getting silly - some of us have run out of superlatives! Darren - you junked the last version of Torrington before it was complete, and we can now see that this one is indeed better, and has been "knocked up" in record time by most modellers' standards. Now you talk of another layout for later in the year. I do hope Torrington will continue to run and be subject to minor updates now and again?

In the era of the 10,000th RMWebber, Torrington is a classic inspiration for newcomers and old ghytts alike. Please don't tear it down any time soon!

This thread is getting silly - some of us have run out of superlatives! Darren - you junked the last version of Torrington before it was complete, and we can now see that this one is indeed better, and has been "knocked up" in record time by most modellers' standards. Now you talk of another layout for later in the year. I do hope Torrington will continue to run and be subject to minor updates now and again?

In the era of the 10,000th RMWebber, Torrington is a classic inspiration for newcomers and old ghytts alike. Please don't tear it down any time soon!

Ditto re: Ian's comments. :) As SWMBO just remarked, "It's beautiful."

HI all

Olddudder Torrington will not be taken down!

I will be starting a new layout later this year.

Have spent most of this weekend sorting out the last of the bits of scenery around the layout, the farm is now finished.

All I need now is to add the chickens and farm gate that I have made, just waiting on my order form dart castings.

I have made a house for the chickens to live in .

What is left to do is get the back scene up around the layout and finish the concrete post along the line.

I will later this week put up some more photos, covering the layout in detail; these will be the last lot of photo I will put up on Torrington.

As I feel Torrington has been covered, and I do not just want to keep rehashing old photo of it.

I will from time to time add some photo, but not as much as I have been doing.

Once I start work on the new layout I will post it up on here, I must thank every one for there help and guidance, with building Torrington.

Enjoy the photo and happy modelling!!

All the best

Darren

post-6929-004536800 1286727017_thumb.jpg

post-6929-020836500 1286727113_thumb.jpg

post-6929-099795200 1286727236_thumb.jpg

post-6929-039547400 1286727255_thumb.jpg

post-6929-090570100 1286727367_thumb.jpg

post-6929-018130200 1286727453_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Darren, I can only add to the remarks about the latest pictures, just fantastic.

I've always been puzzled by the "wiggle" in the tracks just past the platforms in the pictures I've seen (mostly later period & quite obvious in that last picture of the clay train) - any idea why / what was the reason for this?

Rich,

If I remember correctly the wiggle was due to the pair of Y points that were originally at that end of the platform.

It seems a shame that you won't continue to put up regular photo's of Torrington Darren, although I await your new layout with great interest, have you a location in mind and will you be taking that out on the exhibition circuit?

Colin

Hi

Torrington used to have a turntable ,that was taken out in 1932 ,The track curved round it .

This is why there is a curve in the track work here, I did not included it in to the layout ,due to space.

I will put up later this week a whole series of photo covering the whole layout.

I must admit it have been grate fun building Torrington ,being my first layout ,I have learnt a hell of a lot.

I must thank you all for the kind and helpful comments you have made over the time I have been building it .

Form time to time I will put up photo of it , as I feel I have covered all that there is with this layout, and I want to move on to building the new layout.

I have been asked if I would take Torrington to shows ,but I never built it so it could be taken ,mores the pity.

If I was going to take it to shows I would have to do a lot more work to make it move friendly ,the next layout I plan to be able to take to shows ,that’s if anyone wants it, that is .

I will put up a plan of the new layout soon ,but I do have a name for it “Imperial pottery “ set again in Devon .

Once again I would like to thank you all ,for without your help and support I would have never got this far with it.

All the very best to you all and happy modelling !.

Darren

Hi Darren,

Sorry to repeat everything said before...

but Torrington is looking really superb!

I think you've achieved a very high standard of finish to each area of the layout.

That sort of consistency is very hard to achieve (particularly in a relatively short space of time) and I take my hat off to you sir!

I particularly like the drab, weathered finish to the concrete rendering on the farm buildings - it's all part of good observational modelling,

and getting the level of weathering just right:D

Great stuff mate

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Gold

I must admit it have been grate fun building Torrington ,being my first layout ,I have learnt a hell of a lot.

Darren

Can't believe this is your first. Many modellers strive for years to achieve near this quality, with many attempts ending in the bin/skip/bonfire. I know many of mine have ended that way.

Looking forward to 'Imperial Pottery'. :good_mini:

Hi all

I have been having a look back, released had not included many photos of the real thing.

Having good photo of the location you are setting your railway on helps no end.

Here are a set of photo I took a few years ago.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments !.

The first photo is "Reeds siding .

Second photo is Torrington Station as it is today ,now the Puffing Billy pub,the milk pumping house would have been to the right of this shot, The big stone building is on the site of the good shed.

The third photo is the head shunt under the road over bridge , the head shunt would be on the left and the line to bideford on the right.

Fourth photo is the road over bridge ,that leads to the two white houses

All the best

Darren

post-6929-028275800 1286994578_thumb.jpg

post-6929-004484000 1286994676_thumb.jpg

post-6929-028036700 1286994729_thumb.jpg

post-6929-033796100 1286995426_thumb.jpg

post-6929-017274800 1286995515_thumb.jpg

Hi Darren,

It has been wonderful to see this layout progress both on the forum as well as in the "real" model form. So Thank you!

It is as BlackRat has commented on. The loss of the real railway but hopefully the enthusiasts will get the trains going again there soon.

Looking forward to "Imperial Potteries depot in Devon"

I guess we have to guess where in Devon it is as you are building it. I'll be looking at the rock colour etc.

Cheers.

Chris in Devon

P.S. The Barnstaple Model Railway Club will be putting up a thread soon... Keep a look out for the new layout.

HI All

Still working on the last bits of the layout, the last thing to do is out up the back scenes.

Once this has been done I will the put up photo of the whole layout, but until then here are a few more photo of Torrington station …..Ho and one of my N class leaving with the mind afternoon milk train.

Sorted out the rats nest of wiring under the layout, now neatly held in place, been one of them jobs I have been putting off for month.

Here are some close up shots of the station as it is today, not much has change over the years.

If anyone wants any more info on the Torrington line, just PM I, as I have collected a lot of photo and info while building this layout.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-007489500 1287140232_thumb.jpg

post-6929-079463400 1287140290_thumb.jpg

post-6929-073955200 1287140320_thumb.jpg

post-6929-042627100 1287140341_thumb.jpg

post-6929-040743400 1287140374_thumb.jpg

post-6929-052853100 1287140399_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Can't believe this is your first. Many modellers strive for years to achieve near this quality, with many attempts ending in the bin/skip/bonfire. I know many of mine have ended that way.

Looking forward to 'Imperial Pottery'. :good_mini:

I can only echo what's said here. I didn't realise this is your first layout, you certainly have a gift for modelling! Looking at this thread always inspires me to make a tiny bit more progress on my own layout.

Thanks for sharing it with us and can't wait for the next one! :)

I have just found this layout on RMweb. Absolutely fantastic. Congratulations. I love the overall consistency of your work and attention to detail. I have only had time to briefly look at photos, and will be back to read the detail when I get a bit more time (12 pages may take a while!). Added to my favourites.

• 2 weeks later...

HI All

Just a little up date , most of the layout is now finished and now just adding the lower ground cover from the bit i got at the Taunton show at the weekend .

Hope you like them ?

All the best

Darren

post-6929-066634300 1288123932_thumb.jpg

post-6929-018966700 1288124465_thumb.jpg

post-6929-008042200 1288124517_thumb.jpg

Archived