Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

• 3 weeks later...

hi. has anyone else had a problem with shorting of thier class 50? ive got a 50004 st vincent that shorts on all my insufrog points. its dcc fitted and my points are fitted with Hornby dcc point clips. my other 50's, 50007, 50045, 2 repainted 50035's do not do it. its just this one loco and i cannot work it out. any help would be great. thank you.

hi. has anyone else had a problem with shorting of thier class 50?

My "Ark Royal" was rewheeled to P4 ages ago. It does seem have shorting problems (there is a crackling sound as it moves along the test track), as well as the head and tail lights at one end coming on simultaneously at low speed.

I am going to try Justin Newitt's etched all-sprung bogies in due course, and would be interested to see if this eliminates the shorting problem, or whether it has no effect.

Dan, don't know what could be causing that, but have you checked that you're wheels are the correct way around? Maybe you have one that's inverted....

(wheels on one side are all insulated, you can tell becausese there's a little plastic/rubber yolk between the axle and the wheel it'sself)

Guest jim s-w

No they aren't. Both wheels are live on stubb axles and it's not difficult to accidentally have them touch. The inner ends are pinpoints and filing them down will help.

The clearance between the wheels and the underside of the chassis is quite small if you fit scale sized wheels and correct the ride height. You might find you sprung bogie shorts a lot more Ivan.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Another one rolls off the workbench - the usual treatment , replacement bodyside grills, windscreen frames, roof fan, proper sized wheels and lowered on its bogies.

50031atBNSjuly2012.jpg

Theres a reason for doing 031 and also for it being almost ex-works and that reason is what happened to the ship its named after. My own little tribute to those lost, of the 1418 crew only 3 survived her sinking during WWII.

http://www.hmshood.com/

Jim

• Like 4

Guest jim s-w

Hi Sean

A few years ago someone was selling resin ones, before that I used to hack up cheap scrap lima bodies

Hth

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

• RMweb Premium

Just added another to the fleet, original NSE livery again but this time a complete repaint into the higher stripe Doncaster Works version as 50048 'Dauntless'

post-6910-0-12296800-1343940508_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-12507300-1343940518_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

where was this taken? 1m27 was the Glasgow Liverpool which split at Preston the other half going to Manchester where im guessing this is?

...err, in the photo D408 is showing 1M26, not 1M27. The 1M26 I remember was the afternoon Leeds - Carlisle frequented by 40106  :sungum:

Edited by brushman47544

• 4 months later...

Just seen some pictures on the internet of D444 wearing two-tone green and small yellow warning panels. The livers suits it well, except for that ghastly orange cantrail stripe which seems to be very popular amongst preserved diesels in 'heritage' liveries. Is there any reason for this orange extra? Is it required of preserved diesels for main line running? Or is it just someone's idea of modern design?

I know that no Class 50 actually ever ran in green, but it's a nice idea - I don't suppose Hornby could be persuaded to release a green D444?

Just seen some pictures on the internet of D444 wearing two-tone green and small yellow warning panels. The livers suits it well, except for that ghastly orange cantrail stripe which seems to be very popular amongst preserved diesels in 'heritage' liveries. Is there any reason for this orange extra? Is it required of preserved diesels for main line running? Or is it just someone's idea of modern design?

I know that no Class 50 actually ever ran in green, but it's a nice idea - I don't suppose Hornby could be persuaded to release a green D444?

I believe the canrail stripe is a requirement for mainline running. It also needs to have a headlight - the central headlight on the 50s was a later modification, so D444 has the headlight in place of one of the marker lights.

• 7 months later...