Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

This first one was taken in September 1986. Can anybody guess where it is?

attachicon.gif920.jpg

Sharpness Docks?  There were not too many Bagnall 0-6-0DMs built.  If it is Sharpness Docks then the loco (Works No 3151) is now preserved and is currently at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway.

Sharpness Docks?  There were not too many Bagnall 0-6-0DMs built.  If it is Sharpness Docks then the loco (Works No 3151) is now preserved and is currently at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway.

Yes it was  Sharpness Docks, and thankyou for your imformation regarding the loco. I often wondered what happened to it. There were in fact two locos there, DL1 and DL2. That one was DL2. (DL for dock locomotive i guess). It was one of those pictures I took very half-hartedly at the time but so glad I did now. I was only really interested in BR stuff and I'd gone over to Sharpness to photograph the branch freight which at the time was still usually daily. That day I missed it so thought well I might as well take a picture of 'this' now I'm here. In fact, it was the driver of the dock loco that confirmed to me that I'd missed the BR train that day.

• RMweb Premium

After a bit of sleuthing

It's Dunstable North

The train in the bay is this:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/d/dunstable_north/index33.shtml

Interesting train in the background - Class 20 bonnet first

It seems to have some sort of additional insignia above the BR crest. And the two photos show that it's on both sides.

• RMweb Premium

12109178256_08fd572c5f_z.jpg1962.01.27.01 Uxbridge High St. by David Pearson, on Flickr

12108512325_01d49f2110_z.jpg1962.01.27.02 Uxbridge High St. by David Pearson, on Flickr

I've no idea where this next one is, as it's un-captioned

12076893796_4f342e9876_z.jpg1962.06.30.15 by David Pearson, on Flickr

It seems to have some sort of additional insignia above the BR crest. And the two photos show that it's on both sides.

Both pictures were taken on the last day of passenger service between Dunstable and Leighton Buzzard - the loco appears to be carrying a wreath and some kind of headboard below the headlamp.  There's another picture of 41222, taken on the same day at Leighton Buzzard, in "The Hatfield, Luton & Dunstable Railway" by G & S Woodward (Oakwood Press), which also shows what appears to be some sort of painted nameplate on the tank side above the usual crest.  Unfortunately that picture also doesn't show it clearly enough to see what it is.  The loco seems to have been a regular on the line - elsewhere in the book there is reference to it being involved in a blowback incident which fatally injured the fireman - but there is no reference as far as i can see to the 'embellishment'.  However it does ring a bell with me, and perhaps I've seen a picture of it in another book somewhere....

• Like 2

There is another photo in the sequence posted by Metroland which shows the wagons are Iron ore tipplers loaded with ingot mould. A job they were later written for and later had escape holes cut in their sides.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the top one could be Blaenavon:

10421367445_82c41792dd_z.jpgMAR 75 08. A train of coal empties approaches Furnace Sidings Blaenavon, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

The middle one looks like Quakers Yard

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the top one could be Blaenavon:

10421367445_82c41792dd_z.jpgMAR 75 08. A train of coal empties approaches Furnace Sidings Blaenavon, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

The middle one looks like Quakers Yard

On consideration I'm no longer so sure that the top picture is Blaenavon as the telegraph poles are on the wrong side of the line. My main evidence was that the wagons that are visible just in front of the loco's buffers seem to be standing on a line that is about to dive under the bridge on the right, echoing the layout at Blaenavon (OS maps show that there was a railway line passing under the bridge in my photo as late as the 1970s).

I'm now more inclined to think that it's on the Rhondda & Swansea Bay line near Blaenrhondda.

The middle picture is definitely of Quakers Yard as I have found it in a book; it is the work of S.Rickard.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1