Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

I like to try not to post up images that don't provide a direct link but in this instance I think the unusual location of the 16 tonner makes it worthwhile.

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/show/3260/Stairfoot-Railway-Station

P

(well I'll go to the foot of our stairs!)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully no re-posts

16836199336_c228a58ddd_z.jpg31279 & 31217 St.James Deeping 07.05.83 by Phil, on Flickr

24289897330_afca3564cb_z.jpg31290 Healey Mills by Andy Hoare, on Flickr

8507446846_bcf9e53389_z.jpg31327 Hexthorpe by Paul Robertson, on Flickr

21333898068_2dfc4f3203_z.jpg19831025_001: 31217 at Swinderby by Gary Thornton, on Flickr

18711630411_029dc0e38d_z.jpgA very mixed freight by geoff7918, on Flickr

19711283811_2e4d12258b_z.jpgMarchclass31onsandtrain by dustybin322, on Flickr

• Like 6

I wasn't sure if this photo would be up to standard, but it does show the lines of 16 ton wagons waiting at the Resolven screens and coal washery circa 1962 - 63

What I do like is the hut on stilts that must be straddling at least two tracks, presumably some sort of aerial site office.

Anyway my contribution to a thread I enjoy.

post-25628-0-11326600-1454003767_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I wasn't sure if this photo would be up to standard, but it does show the lines of 16 ton wagons waiting at the Resolven screens and coal washery circa 1962 - 63

What I do like is the hut on stilts that must be straddling at least two tracks, presumably some sort of aerial site office.

Anyway my contribution to a thread I enjoy.

Not sure what that building could be for; it would be an odd place for an office, as you'd have to struggle through the mire to get to it, and NCB office workers didn't like getting their shoes dirty.

I'm trying to work out where this was in relation to the road to Glyn Neath and Hirwaun; I recollect the road used to make an S-bend around some NCB screens near here, before coming close to the Rheola aluminium works, which is visible in the distance.

The old road to Glyn Neath runs in the trees in front of the Rheola works, and ran parallel to the canal and river.

I think the screens you remember were further up the valley towards Glyn, but I could be wrong.

The Resolven screens nestled up against the west side of the valley, and you can just see the Neath to Merthyr line behind the furthest rank of 16 tonners

Not sure what that building could be for; it would be an odd place for an office, as you'd have to struggle through the mire to get to it, and NCB office workers didn't like getting their shoes dirty.

I'm trying to work out where this was in relation to the road to Glyn Neath and Hirwaun; I recollect the road used to make an S-bend around some NCB screens near here, before coming close to the Rheola aluminium works, which is visible in the distance.

Taken from about here I reckon:

https://goo.gl/maps/FYSxaXSYxEJ2

That raised building; I've seen small electric cranes like that with their upper gubbins enclosed to give protection but in this instance I think were looking at an elevated weighbridge wagon check room for the fulls. 

P

Safety feature kicking in. For ###### read "come" but as in Chorlton--Hardy

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Some with the 16T's mixed in with wooden bodied stock (the 16T's are a loooong way forward in the first pic. Allotments like the first pic were also once commonplace, but now the land would be divided off with palisade fencing and notices of £1,000 fines.

7751727978_8bbc7e6bd7_z.jpg31857's Long goods train by Peter, on Flickr

7975933132_1525f2af38_z.jpg33033 by Peter, on Flickr

8084180179_926dd27d1c_z.jpg1368 by Peter, on Flickr

• Like 4

So you missed the Niffty little Presflo being unloaded on the Derwent Valley Light, and the odd 16 tonner just sneaking in here & there among all the Iron ore tipplers. Brand new set of Michelins on the tractor unit.

15662204385_3afca3dab5_o.jpg597 VRA by Terry, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5

No scales? I take it the whole wagonload is being bagged for one customer, perhaps a commercial boilerhouse...

Mike

Neither Heaton nor Blaydon coal yards (which I think were the last two operating in the Newcastle/Gateshead area, lasting until the Miners' Strike of 1984) had facilities for handling hoppers, and only took deliveries in 'flat-bottomed' minerals only.

No scales? I take it the whole wagonload is being bagged for one customer, perhaps a commercial boilerhouse...

Mike

Open you mind Mike. Be a free spirit.

They're behind the coat and single sack. You can just glimpse the weight.

As in this example.

8190757106_49d798db90_c.jpgTor047, Torday's Tyneside by Newcastle Libraries, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6