Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

I wonder if you could guide me to Holman Compressors thread as I had an interest in them at one time in the seventies whilst I lived nearby!

Jock, You may have already found this.

There's a few 16t minerals on the Roskear Branch Section of the Railways of Cornwall Website.

e.g.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/_9929324_orig.jpg

Scroll down this page for the Roskear section:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/cornwall-railway-gallery-st-ives--hayle-wharf-branches.html

It wasn't only 21 ton hoppers we used in the North East.

12438109824_5c219a9cda_c.jpgclev - j27 on coal drops west hartlepool mpd JL by John Law, on Flickr

P

Do those wagons have bottom doors? I've always understood that 16 tonners so fitted  had markings to that effect but I can't see any in the photo. If they're not bottom door equipped, how was this dealt with on north-eastern coal drops?

• RMweb Premium

Do those wagons have bottom doors? I've always understood that 16 tonners so fitted  had markings to that effect but I can't see any in the photo. If they're not bottom door equipped, how was this dealt with on north-eastern coal drops?

I don't think it is a set of coal drops but the incline to the coaling stage.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Porcy

It doesn't look like sugar beet, they are not round enough. Another factor is the GWR loco behind, most beet is grown in the east as it grows better in a dryer climate. 

I heard a story of a couple who moved from the West Country to East Anglia. "There was a huge pile of turnips so we helped ourselves to a couple. The first one took ages to cook and didn't taste nice." Even today farmers after harvesting leave beet in large piles awaiting collection as none of the locals will want them for their super.

So are they turnips in the wagon.

It doesn't look like sugar beet, they are not round enough. Another factor is the GWR loco behind, most beet is grown in the east as it grows better in a dryer climate. 

So are they turnips in the wagon.

I too thought a strang shape for beet. But I'n no agriculturist. The way the load is lying the wagons give me the impression it's been unloaded and my first impression was that whatever the load was, it was probably being used as animal feedstuffs.

From my times spent in West Cornwall I've seen small turnips being distributed across field for this use. Ta.

P

Here's the top of that incline.

9954148775_99c7356c2e_c.jpgK1 in steam by Andrew Southwell, on Flickr

P

• Like 6

I'm not 100% sure due to my small screen and poor eyesight but it looks more like they're repairing/rebuilding old wagons rather than building new ones, so I'd question the 1947 date. Interesting photo though, nonetheless.

I'm not 100% sure due to my small screen and poor eyesight but it looks more like they're repairing/rebuilding old wagons rather than building new ones, so I'd question the 1947 date. Interesting photo though, nonetheless.

They're new builds. The piled up pressed doors and weld and heat sink witness marks are a clue. The give away is the attached press bye line that gives the production line process details and the date of 5th May 1947.

I think the wagons will be MOT/MOS builds that were absorbed into BR diagram 1/102. I'll have to check references for confirmation.

I suspect some high resolution images will appear somewhere online in the near future as large photographic archives such as what this image belongs to, have developed a habit of once digitised, selling off hard copies and negatives as copyright expiry dates approach.

An image of the underframes being built is here:

http://historicimages.com/1947-press-photo-woolwich-arsenal-london-war-plant

Wheelsets being dropped in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391340273730?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

P

unless anyone knows better?

:rolleyes:  I'll give you odds on your punt and take your dosh.  :mocking_mini:

Possibly more like Nunnery Goods with Burnett & Hallamshire main distribution base being based there for many a year. Drove past the place for a few years before it was demolished (along with Burnett & Hallamshire's reputation)

A quick google turned up some interesting bits and confirmed with all the railway lines ducking under and diving over each other, what a brilliant location, the area immediately around Nunnery Goods would be to model.

Just visible 16 tonner:

3067354921_7aa9c85de9_o.jpgNunnery Colliery railway tunnel - Sheffield by Tim David, on Flickr

Some more hardly visible 16 tonners on the Nunnery Branch:

8421411072_f8453d6ec3_z.jpgNunnery goods branch at Woodburn Junction by Awwalker1, on Flickr

A few16 tonners next to Burnett & Hallamshires Nunnery Bunkers next to the Park Way:

14845467417_f8d038aae8_o.jpgBritish Fuel Company (Sheffield) Coal Handling Plant by madsteve9, on Flickr

A bit info. on the depot here:

14845353539_dfece81436_z.jpgBurnett & Hallamshire Sheffield Coal Handling Plant Bernard Road by madsteve9, on Flickr

P   

(I'll take yer money at Glasgow).

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5