Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

...for once the troublesome truck is innocent...I reckon it was the old mine workings under the track...

Nah. Nobody had told the CME about Dave Franks and his unfeasibly large range of LMS bufferstops.   :smile_mini:

• RMweb Gold

You can see it the driver's face, "I was hoping for my gold watch next week when I retire, fat chance now." :stink:

Nah - his report would read like this

'Sir,

I regret to report that the wheels picked up due to a greasy rail and with the wagons pushing I was unable to stop my engine in time.

Your obedient servant  ... etc'

And the number of times I have read that, or similar ... ... ...

• Like 4

Here's one of life's mysteries (to me anyway). When somebody did release the bottom doors to dump the load, how did they get them locked back in position? I'm assuming somebody crawled under the wagon (when it had been moved off the coal drop - naturally, but you never know, H&S being what it was in the first half of then 20th century) and heaved the door back into position, while his mate put the locking bar and lever back. 

Here's my prototype contribution. Seen at Cottesmore last summer (I know it's a tippler - no doors at all!)..post-21853-0-25274600-1459263963_thumb.jpg

... and here's a 7mm MMP 1/108 starting to get rusty on the Making Stuff blog...

post-21853-0-42046600-1459264071_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian H C
  • Like 7

Here's one of life's mysteries (to me anyway). When somebody did release the bottom doors to dump the load, how did they get them locked back in position? I'm assuming somebody crawled under the wagon (when it had been moved off the coal drop - naturally, but you never know, H&S being what it was in the first half of then 20th century) and heaved the door back into position, while his mate put the locking bar and lever back. 

Here's my prototype contribution. Seen at Cottesmore last summer (I know it's a tippler - no doors at all!)..attachicon.gifrusty tippler.jpg

... and here's a 7mm MMP 1/108 starting to get rusty on the Making Stuff blog...

attachicon.gif1-108 blog rust base coat 4.jpg

The same way as all hoppers and minerals with Monkey Tail bottom doors, use the hook on the end of a shunting pole and the pole/correct technique to lit them! crawling under would be a last resort! The NCB were still using this type of door on the wagons at Westoe in the 1990's!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Crated loads.

https://flic.kr/p/a2YhX4

I thought somebody would have commented on the loads, but they don't seem to have done, so here goes!  The crated loads look to me like the crates of car parts that were loaded into mineral wagons in the up sidings at Oakleigh Park station on the late '50s - early '60s, for rail transport to London Docks for export.  I thought I would be able to find 'chapter & verse' on this as the sidings at Oakleigh Park are visible in enough picture books about the ECML, but I can't.  However I think I've read that they were components from Vauxhall at Luton, what I can't find out is why they didn't go by rail direct from Luton to the Docks, but there are several road cranes visible in the sidings at Oakleigh Park so it's pretty certain the wagons were loaded there.

What a fascinating thread! I am heartened by the fact there are a few photos of 16t wagons in the North East as I have a plan for a little micro layout for as a test project in a new scale and it disproves the theory that his was only 21t hopper country!

I have been offered a couple of 16t minerals kits at a great price so the idea was for an industrial loco simply to shunt some of these around... I was thinking a small 'drift mine' as the basis, but looking at this thread I suppose I should think outside the box a little...... turnips anyone!?!

• Like 1

What a fascinating thread! I am heartened by the fact there are a few photos of 16t wagons in the North East as I have a plan for a little micro layout for as a test project in a new scale and it disproves the theory that his was only 21t hopper country!

I have been offered a couple of 16t minerals kits at a great price so the idea was for an industrial loco simply to shunt some of these around... I was thinking a small 'drift mine' as the basis, but looking at this thread I suppose I should think outside the box a little...... turnips anyone!?!

Sugar beet?

Sugar beet?

Well funny you should say that but I will hopefully, very shortly, be the proud owner of a Ixion Hudswell Clarke loco... the very prototype of 'Wissington' used at the British Sugar factory near Downham Market in Norfolk I am thinking some 16t minerals would go perfectly with her in a 1960s and early '70s setting! ☺

http://www.mandgn.co.uk/page.php?pid=37

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for something entirely different, I found this.

Nice slope sided (French) wagon n the background

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=British%20Transport%20Commission&objid=1996-7038_BTF_273_3952

Regards

Ian

Ian

There is a possibility this is a "P" ex private owner rather than a MoT wagon returned from France!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

My 16T mineral recognition certificate is very out of date.

You could well be right, but I tried, I tried!

With regards to that comment, I was scanning through some photos from the Britain from Above website of the Paisley St James area which I am modelling.

I am no wagon expert, but looking at this view:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw017828

and from the opposite direction:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw017833

there do seem to be quite a few steel bodied mineral wagons of the 16T type. I was surprised at this as the photo is dated 1948

Were there big 4 predecessors of the humble Dia 1/102 and its brothers?

Regards

Ian

My 16T mineral recognition certificate is very out of date.

You could well be right, but I tried, I tried!

With regards to that comment, I was scanning through some photos from the Britain from Above website of the Paisley St James area which I am modelling.

I am no wagon expert, but looking at this view:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw017828

and from the opposite direction:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw017833

there do seem to be quite a few steel bodied mineral wagons of the 16T type. I was surprised at this as the photo is dated 1948

Were there big 4 predecessors of the humble Dia 1/102 and its brothers?

Regards

Ian

The LMS built welded body ones, and the LNER rivetted. Both are available from Cambrian. Larkin suggested, in one of his mid-1970s volumes, that the LMS had at least 5000, and the LNER slightly fewer. To this should be added MoWT/MoS builds. and some private owners, which would have been pooled during the War.

• RMweb Gold

When I went to the Llangollen's autumn gala last year, one of the guys said they'd tried to organise some brake van rides in order to do summat different but the insurers didn't want to know......

(The LR did do an engine + Inspection Saloon for 3 days)

When I went to the Llangollen's autumn gala last year, one of the guys said they'd tried to organise some brake van rides in order to do summat different but the insurers didn't want to know......

(The LR did do an engine + Inspection Saloon for 3 days)

It's not an insurance issue, it's having the correct paperwork in the safety case.

• RMweb Gold

It's not an insurance issue, it's having the correct paperwork in the safety case.

Not exactly but is about having the correct paperwork - which is a risk assessment and method statement/written procedure for doing it  (you don't need to do a safety case item under ROGS but you do have to do all the assessment etc and keep records of course).  It might also be covered by the 'Competent Person requirement although that usually applies to design and planning of physical items such as infrastructure and signalling rather than to operational matters.

As far as the insurers are concerned it is really about them being prepared to accept the paperwork - especially the method statement/operating procedure and set a price if they are prepared to accept it.  if they don't think the paperwork is up to scratch in terms of setting out a safe method or they'r either aren't prepared to accept an unusual risk or simply don't want the business then they'll say no.

Just to add to the post by The Stationmaster.

Regarding risk assessments.

If you are involved with an activity that requires one it has to be up to date.

I have one in front of me as I write.

It is for a cycling event on open roads, so the scenario is slightly different, but it has a general on-going part and then requires a check and update shortly before the event takes place.

If you are involved in an event that requires an RA then it is essential to check and double check exactly what is required.

Bernard