Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/ashchurch/index32.shtml

...look at the buffers on that, makes you wonder if it was physically possible to couple 2 of these 16 tonners together!

They look like 2' self-contained buffers, 13" round head.

1.jpg

A number of the 8 shoe clasp vac-fitted (and 8-shoe clasp unfitted*) 16 mins had these buffers. The hook was mounted through a 2" extension bracket on the headstock to keep the slack distance constant.

*the decision to halt vacuum-braked 16t mins, following problems with the infrastructure at some unloading facilities ripping the yokes off, meant that some batches already under construction were finished with 8 shoe clasp, but sans the vacuum cylinders and pipework.

Edited by CloggyDeux

With reference to the wagon in post 2260, taken by Andy Kirkham near Pontardulais; the wagon itself seems to be a 27t Iron Ore Tippler. I have seen several photos of these wagons in use on traffic from Graig Merthyr- does anyone where they were working to? It couldn't have been to Swansea Docks, as that relied on end-tippers; was it to somewhere like Coedbach?

With reference to the wagon in post 2260, taken by Andy Kirkham near Pontardulais; the wagon itself seems to be a 27t Iron Ore Tippler. I have seen several photos of these wagons in use on traffic from Graig Merthyr- does anyone where they were working to? It couldn't have been to Swansea Docks, as that relied on end-tippers; was it to somewhere like Coedbach?

Could it not be one that has became an NCB Internal User?

Mark Saunders

Could it not be one that has became an NCB Internal User?

Mark Saunders

I'd thought this might be the case, but it only had BR markings, as did the ones in the other photos- the local pits were very sharp at repainting stock in internal use. A tippler would have been of little use for 'Land Sales' traffic, as you'd need a way of getting the coal out.

A tippler would have been of little use for 'Land Sales' traffic, as you'd need a way of getting the coal out.

Isn't that the main function of the most junior apprentice with a shovel? :D

I'd thought this might be the case, but it only had BR markings, as did the ones in the other photos- the local pits were very sharp at repainting stock in internal use. A tippler would have been of little use for 'Land Sales' traffic, as you'd need a way of getting the coal out.

If not an iu then could it be used for Coking Coal to a Steel Works?

Mark Saunders

If not an iu then could it be used for Coking Coal to a Steel Works?

Mark Saunders

Wrong sort of coal, Mark; coking coal tended to come from the shallower fields at the eastern end of the coalfield. Graig Merthyr was in an isolated location overlooking the Llwchyr/ Loughor floodplain, on the border of the anthracite field. My suspicion is that the coal went either to one of the washery/disposal plants (Garnant, Coedbach or Onllwyn), or to Carmarthen Bay Power Station; these photos were taken after I'd left the area, so I didn't see the wagons in the flesh.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photo of LMS mineral https://www.flickr.com/photos/69692733@N07/23290154161/in/dateposted/ enlarges very well!

OT but lovely photo showing what happened to M5000 Flatrol MRR https://www.flickr.com/photos/69692733@N07/23372694685/in/photostream/

Paul

Hi. Unfortunately the first link is one of those 'Page not found' errors.

Rob.

In looking through a Freight Working Timetable for the Central Division of BR's Southern Region there appeared a working of three "minifits" from Witham (ER) through to Waddon Marsh on particular train.

I've never heard of "minifits", but with a google search it came up with a couple of examples which seemed to associate them with standard BR 16 ton mineral wagons, but with no details as to what made them "special"  -  any ideas ?

Thanks.