RMweb Groups

A new modification has been made available for the site software which allows for the set-up of Groups. The application was written in the style of Facebook groups but I could see a useful application within our context to encourage and stimulate specific interest areas. Site members will be able to join the Groups to participate in those special interest areas. I hope this extends the Community concept.

So what can a Group be?

It could be scale or gauge specific, relate to a particular modelling or railway theme, a club or society or be a geographical social group e.g. SWAG. If it's something that several members are or would be interested in and are prepared to contribute to then it's fair game. Each Group then becomes a mini forum area with its own topics that can be styled with its own header or logo images whilst feeding into the existing forum structure.

How do I set up a Group?

Drop me a PM with your proposal and if it can be seen that it's of interest and is likely to be used then I will set this up. The person who proposes the area would then become the Group Owner and can style that Group accordingly. The Group Owner and any appointed Group Moderators can have involvement in the ongoing management of that Group, create news articles and invite members to the Group.

How do I join a Group?

There will be a 'Join Group' button just above any Group topics.

How do I post in a Group Area?

You will need to join the Group and you can then take part in the same way as any forum areas.

Can existing special interest areas become Groups?

Yes, I would propose moving all Special Interest sections and existing Groups into this format. If there are any existing topics which should be moved to a Group please PM me or use the report button on the original topic to get it moved over.

How is a Group different from an existing Forum area?

Although Group areas will perform in very much the same way as existing areas it is envisaged that creation of the Groups will stimulate these interest areas, make members feel more included and interested in that area of activity and find it easier to communicate with fellow members who share the same interest (e.g. it's possible to PM the Group members).

Great idea - I can foresee a Waverley Route Group and a Southern Withered Arm Group for example.

Will Group contributions be picked up in Active Content?

Andy has a PM ;)

I could feel you reading my mind about fifteen minutes ago :D

• RMweb Premium

Instead of us finding them by chance, is there going to be a list of groups anywhere so that we have one place to look?

There is a groups tab at the top of the page.

Nice idea

- but based on the test topic you have to join before you can read the group content. Can this be opened up to those who may just enjoy "casual window shopping" on given interest areas?

Will Group contributions be picked up in Active Content?

Yes, the test topic seemed to show up for me (but you may not have seen it because of jamie's point below).

- but based on the test topic you have to join before you can read the group content. Can this be opened up to those who may just enjoy "casual window shopping" on given interest areas?

I hadn't fully understood some of the permissions masks whilst setting it up but that should be resolved now with everyone able to see the content.

• RMweb Gold

since dwhitedcc has started a dcc sound group the forum has dissapeared from the main forum area is that right?

to be honest it comes across as a bit "elitest" to me, having to join a group to be able to contribute, there are a few topics i have posted on here in that i have no interest in but had something to contribute, if these topics ended up in a "group" then i'd have to join that group, thats the way i read it

i for one don't particularly want to be joining this group and that group just to contribute to topics, although i have reluctantly joined the dcc sounds which is my main area of contribution

also if a person "owns" a group can they decide what topics are posted in there and who joins etc?

can you put the dcc sound forum back on the main forum for "window shoppers" to view

the way its going we will be "poking" each other or having "virtual pillow fights" next (as you can probably tell im very anti facebook)

It makes sense to group the relevant topics together.

'Joining' a group is a one click move and it then helps you to keep tabs on the areas that you're a member of via the Groups tab at the top.

The owner of the group isn't there to decide on what topics are posted (as anyone who has joined can start a topic) and joining is automatic but they are there to help and promote that area.

It isn't about being elitist at all but a means to stimulate and encourage certain areas.

It's a new feature and approach but it still fits within the existing site framework.

can you put the dcc sound forum back on the main forum for "window shoppers" to view

the way its going we will be "poking" each other or having "virtual pillow fights" next (as you can probably tell im very anti facebook)

Those points were added during or after my earlier response.

'Window shoppers' can still view the DCC Sound area.

I'm no Facebook fan (due to the more invasive/intrusive nature) at all but I see the merit of particular approaches and how this keeps pace with contemporary communication patterns when blended with an existing format. I always look for sensible evolution rather than just plonking a basic off the shelf product there.

• RMweb Gold

yeah sorry andy, editing as you replied!

i can see the new groups section and can indeed see the dcc sound sub group but the sound sub forum is missing from the DCC forum which is surely where people wold look first regards matters dcc?

the groups i will probably get used to over time but to lose a whole popular sub forum from the main page completly seems crazy, i mean there are a huge range of topics in the sound forum covering a lot of manufacturors, suppliers, advice etc, why group them all into one group "owned" by one person

as an idea why not put the dcc section back in place then have individual "niche" groups running off the back of it, for example dwhite could have a "loksound programmer" group, pauliebanger ditto with zimo etc, ii have an idea for a "howes sound chip help group" if bryan is up for it but it currently falls within the "dcc sound" groups remit, help and advice "groups" along those lines seem a lot more useful than a bunch of random topics which is what the group is now

i echo dutch's comments about the group i joined being rmweb as a community, i enjoy railway modelling on the whole and really dont want to be pigeonholed into being in a particular "group", i have mor interests than dcc sound

I'm also not (yet) convinced of the benefits for the existing user over 'normal' sub-forum divisions, and has the added disadvantage of needing to 'Join' the groups (however simple it may be) to be able to contribute including to threads you may already have contributed to, but in promoting to an outside audience I can see the neat boundaries and clear signposting created working for special interest groups such as Narrow Gauge, Tramways and specific geographic areas.

It would be nice though if for example a thread on a narrow gauge layout could be made to appear in both the 'Layouts' Forum and 'Narrow Gauge' Group.

I can also see an advantage for the admin team if the group Owner/Moderators effectively pick up the duties of the global Admin/Mods for that area.

(So having said that Andy - I guess I should offer my services if you decide to convert the existing 'Tramways' sub-forum to a group...)

Paul

Why not bring 'Showcase' back in-house as a 'Group' where it will benefit from simpler computer skills, and maybe recieve a wider audience?

I'm working on that too. :)

I can also see an advantage for the admin team if the group Owner/Moderators effectively pick up the duties of the global Admin/Mods for that area.

(So having said that Andy - I guess I should offer my services if you decide to convert the existing 'Tramways' sub-forum to a group...)

Paul

Talked yourself into a job there. laugh1.gif Let me know when you want to set it up.

The next version of the software may include Tags which will allow for greater cross-fertilisation too.

• RMweb Gold

Andy, is there any way to make a Topic visible in more than one Fourum / Area - I'm certain there will be some subject which over lap (eg a layout which is based in Cornwall), it would be good if it showed up in whichever list it was relevent to. Or can a Group page have buttons/tabs showing topics elesewhere? Otherwise there may be multiple posts in different threads which wil be difficult to get a handle on!

You do realise of course that there will now need to be S&DJR groups to take over from the now defunct S&DJR Forums... ;)

I'm surprised that wasn't one of the first proposals!

Andy, is there any way to make a Topic visible in more than one Fourum / Area - I'm certain there will be some subject which over lap (eg a layout which is based in Cornwall), it would be good if it showed up in whichever list it was relevent to. Or can a Group page have buttons/tabs showing topics elesewhere? Otherwise there may be multiple posts in different threads which wil be difficult to get a handle on!

Technically no but I can move a topic from one area to another and leave a link to its new location in the old place. The next version of the software may allow some further flexibility; we're already going beyond the bounds of most forum type animals.

Why is there a heading in Groups for "Protected Forum" which there appears to be no method of accessing, except for certain people who seem to be able to post things? Sorry, Andy - but if there is one thing likely to split a forum, it is the "Us and them" partioning that this appears to generate, in what was an inclusive forum where members simply read the sections that interested them. I understand that you feel the forum should evolve, but I think this is a step forward followed closely by two steps back - a little like a certain gentlemans ever -changing plans for the the running of the nations health.

Why is there a heading in Groups for "Protected Forum" which there appears to be no method of accessing, except for certain people who seem to be able to post things? Sorry, Andy - but if there is one thing likely to split a forum, it is the "Us and them" partioning that this appears to generate, in what was an inclusive forum where members simply read the sections that interested them. I understand that you feel the forum should evolve, but I think this is a step forward followed closely by two steps back - a little like a certain gentlemans ever -changing plans for the the running of the nations health.

Sorry Jack, I have to disagree.

When you're at the forum index page as shown below it says Protected Forum and just lists the name and the time of the last poster (at that stage only) without the little last_post.png icon. I think it's rare for anyone to dive straight to the last post in any of the existing forum areas anyway; they're far more likely to do it from Active Content or View New Content though where it can be seen to relate to a specific topic.

sshot.jpg

Once you click on Groups or the individual Group areas it's all the same as it ever was.

There's no partitioning; there's no 'them and us' and it's intended to be more inclusive in relation to special interests that get lost in the froth and repetitive questions.

Sorry, Andy - what is confusing me is the fact that, as I type, it is showing "Protected Forum last post 17:21 by 'Chard". Opening "Groups" doesn't appear to show any posting in any group as "last post at 17:21 by 'Chard" - in fact the latest post is showing yesterday 14:11 by Penlan - which is what triggered my comment that there appears to be an inaccessible area, and gives the impression that the forum is being "partioned". My sincere apologies if, as you say, that isn't the case :bad:

Opening "Groups" doesn't appear to show any posting in any group as "last post at 17:21 by 'Chard" - in fact the latest post is showing yesterday 14:11 by Penlan

Open Groups and look at the Transition Diesel Liveries sub-forum, that's the last post across all of the Groups. What you skipped onto is the posting by Penlan in a WAG topic that sits under the old area group postings. I accept that those should maybe reclassified into another sub-forum to denote they're the old style of posts.

The above will be come irrelevant as soon as anyone posts anything newer of course.

Archived