RMweb Groups

• RMweb Gold

Disappointed? DISAPPOINTED? Absolutely not! I am in no way an IT person - but did once find myself as Project Director for a rather large new IT system - or, at least, over 1 million lines of code seemed a lot to me. The in-house supplier had a history of doing his own UAT (User Acceptance Testing) which the in-house customer seldom got any sort of handle upon, so I set up a full test team, with a manager, several analysts, and front-line users from the customer. This worked well in finding 1000s of bugs in each release - but it cost a fortune! Here we have a FREE site which offers us a very fine system, with new apps like yours adding futher value, enabling many of us to happily waste our days here. Every so often Andy passes the hat round - with tempting inducements! - and we secure the viability for another period. Thanks for adding your bit - and keep with us. We need your apps more than you need us as an individual customer!

I'm 100% with Ian on this - having also at one time been landed with project managing the purchase and introduction of a software package (whereas in my case I quickly stamped on much further development as I found it was diverging widely from the operator spec and we were being charged to alter it back from what the developer had designed to what we originally specified .. and so on.)

But enough of that - I sit here as a simple user on, as Ian eloquently put it, a free site which has grown hugely in capability etc in a short time. A few bugs seem to be inevitable with 'puters and software changes but overall this site hasn't managed too badly compared with much that seems to happen in the IT world and some of the emerging extras are well worth a little, brief, user aggro in my view so keep at it.

Kenton,

To quote George Bernard Shaw :

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

More power to your keyboard !

Stu

It''s reasonable to be unreasonable then :laugh:

Xerces Fobe

• RMweb Gold

Just a very minor carp re Groups now (rightly, and thankyou!) appearing in Active Content - when I clicked on this "Board Index re-org and Groups" I was politely told I couldn't read the content. I fully understand why Andy Y needs to deal in private with Group Owners, and they with him, but perhaps it might be better not to appear in Groups if the rest of us are denied access?

You're right Ian. My understanding was that a topic should only appear in Active and VNC if you have the permissions to read it; that'll need looking at. It's probably the least exciting of the Groups laugh1.gif and really for Group Owners to ask questions on managing the Groups etc and the functionality of them. The topic you saw was just me letting them know everything had shifted.

......., so I set up a full test team, with a manager, several analysts, and front-line users from the customer. This worked well in finding 1000s of bugs in each release - but it cost a fortune! ....

At an even more basic level, when my DLO (Direct Labour Organisation) got going we had answer phones with in-house recorded outgoing messages etc., then I tried to leave a message...

As a result of my attempt, I got our people to go out, ring in and try and leave messages too, on the basis of what they heard etc.,

- there was a lot of tweaking after that by the very people who told me to go and manage and leave the real work to them.

- I didn't pay them either for their time rectifying the system because they told me the system was fool proof (silly people) which it most definitely wasn't before the tweaks.

And as for the computerised Vehicle Management systems that I had been involved in the development of as an end user... oh, oh, oh.....

So I'm extremely grateful for this site, whatever Mk #X we are in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Andy,

I have spent the last couple of weeks recovering and researching the standard railways of South Wales- I got quite a shock to find that there is no Railways of Wales group!

Despite the many excellent modellers and models based in the Principality, is there no appetite for a dedicated group?

Or is the subject covered by the industrial and narrow gauge groups?

I think that there might be sufficient interest for a group focussed on the Railways Wales rather than other sub-texts (which have equal merit).

Anyone else interested?

Tim

Andy,

I have spent the last couple of weeks recovering and researching the standard railways of South Wales- I got quite a shock to find that there is no Railways of Wales group!

Despite the many excellent modellers and models based in the Principality, is there no appetite for a dedicated group?

I think that there might be sufficient interest for a group focussed on the Railways Wales rather than other sub-texts (which have equal merit).

Anyone else interested?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I think there is an issue with RMweb Groups since the last SW upgrade in that they are currently not as visible as they were and a lot of RMweb members are therefore not visiting the Group areas anyware near as frequently. This has occured with the my Group " North & West London DC Lines & GOB"and quite a few others as well.

Andy stated after the last SW upgrade that the current situation was a temporary solution. Given that there are still some performance issues at time with RMweb ay present I would assume that getting the main Forum issues resolved would be Andy's main priority.

I am sure that when the Groups isues are resolved you will get more interest in - where was it? - Oh South Wales :winkclear: :lol:

Nigel

• 4 months later...

Andy,

Anyone else interested?

Tim

Yes Tim, I am building a model of the Llanfyllin Branch Terminus and have researched a lot about the Branch, the Tanat Valley and the Cambrian in general.

I would like to see a Railways of Wales Group, I am sure there are a lot more of us out there

Archived