RMweb Groups

Apologies - I didn't realise there was a heading "Groups" at the top of the page - I was following it across from the groups heading near the bottom of the page where the "protected Forum" title appears- somewhat confusing as there is nothing to point out that the groups subforums down there isn't what you should be looking at, Mayhap something needs a re-title, or a direct link from the old area groups :blink:

I think it's rare for anyone to dive straight to the last post in any of the existing forum areas anyway; they're far more likely to do it from Active Content or View New Content though where it can be seen to relate to a specific topic.

I dont use Active Content or View New Content, FWIW; I just go to the subforums that most interest me, often via that latest post

How do I join a Group?

There will be a 'Join Group' button just above any Group topics.

There isnt one (that I can see anyway) in the Transition Diesel group

• RMweb Gold

Would you mind, Andy, if we left 'The Noble Realm' sub group where it is for the moment, please?

Thanks.

(by the way, what's happened to WAG and the other area groups?)

Further edit - just found them.. doh!

Well, I can't really see the point. As someone who couldn't care less about the fragmentation of the forums (as long as "Active Contents" works) I see this as a further fragmentation (ditto "Active Contents") the only really down side being you now have to sign up for every Group - a bit like Yahoo - (which I think is rubbish).

It is a pity that you cannot be signed up automatically to every group - I participate across a very wide range of topics.

Then perhaps opt out of any that are really not your scene.

I think it will add yet another hurdle to those 1000's of lurkers who find it difficult to participate.

The next version of the software may include Tags which will allow for greater cross-fertilisation too.

Hah! but will it be fully integrated as a functioning Tag cloud? If it is, and operates down at a post level this could be the answer to the indexing problems. I look forward to this addition, though I have grave doubts about IPB's ability to implement it.

[Ed] Just tried to join a group (O Gauge Modular Layout Group) but the button doesn't seem to work - nothing at all happens.

Right, I've been away working on some configurations and it is now possible for members to participate in Groups without joining taking away the necessity to Join to participate. It was only one click but it seems I was asking a lot.

However I think it appropriate for people to Join the Groups they have an interest in. Why? Well when you click on the Groups tab at the top of the page you can see an overview of your Groups. It is easier to keep up to date with developments in that Group and communicate with people who are actively sharing the same interest, educating and learning.

Although there has been some negativity, which my stubborn press-ahead style gets frustrated with, I can see an awful lot of interest being suddenly sparked in new and rekindled interests (and that's no bad thing) just because of a different way of looking at the way something is done. That interest is coming from natural organisers and the participants and I'm thrilled by what we may start to see come of this. I wanted to get this project underway before finalising other forthcoming changes.

I have quite a few outstanding requests from this evening whilst I've been making those changes but I will endeavour to get back to everyone as soon as possible during tomorrow with the other new Groups.

Thanks for the support in this, I don't do standing still very well. ;)

I tried several times to join a group, using my desktop computer, and was not able to. The 'Join Group' button was there, and I could click on it, but nothing happened. I then tried using a laptop and was successful on the first try. Interestingly, the desktop has this problem with displaying status updates, while the laptop displays statuses correctly. Is there some connection between these two problems?

I can see it working for, say, a US Group - at present one must post in either the Overseas Prototype or Overseas Modeling. This has always confused me because I take photos of the prototype in order to help the modeling aspect (usually). I'm still not sure I'd rather see separate US Group in the main section of Forums though.

Best, Pete.

I tried several times to join a group, using my desktop computer, and was not able to. The 'Join Group' button was there, and I could click on it, but nothing happened. I then tried using a laptop and was successful on the first try. Interestingly, the desktop has this problem with displaying status updates, while the laptop displays statuses correctly. Is there some connection between these two problems?

There's another clue in there to go with a couple of PMs I had last night reporting a similar problem. The common factor seems to be Internet Explorer so there's probably a bug in the application. I've just tried it in IE9 and it seemed fine but it may be worth trying again with compatibility mode switched on - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197#2

Is it meant to look like that because all I can see is this:

Erm, that's definitely not right but there again neither is IE6 ;)

What happens when you click on the word Groups? The next stage should look like this:

sshot2.jpg

Agree about IE6 - obsolete, but corporate standard for many I'm afraid :(

If I click on Groups I get that...

post-7489-0-93769300-1305791322_thumb.jpg

...and then if I click on that I get this...

post-7489-0-32921500-1305791684_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't bust yer balls over fixing it, loads of stuff round here doesn't display or work properly on IE6. Just that this one actually denies me content, which is a shame.

I wondered why my WAG posting had been archived after two days.

Presumably someone in WAG will set up a Group, at present they are not there,

and hopefully there will be some tweaking so the Groups on the Forum Main Page will correlate to the menu button on the top bar.

Presumably someone in WAG will set up a Group, at present they are not there,

As soon as someone 'volunteers' a WAG Group I can set that up and move the existing WAG topics which are mixed amongst all the others into their own new area.

As soon as someone 'volunteers' a WAG Group I can set that up and move the existing WAG topics which are mixed amongst all the others into their own new area.

We've got a vicious little song/ tirade called 'WAG For Life,' but I'm not sure that's entirely what was in mind here... :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Hah! but will it be fully integrated as a functioning Tag cloud? If it is, and operates down at a post level this could be the answer to the indexing problems. I look forward to this addition, though I have grave doubts about IPB's ability to implement it.

I sometimes wonder why folk have difficulty grasping the principles of signalling or operational practices - but then I look at phrases like that (emboldened, above) and firmly conclude that I should have stuck with breeding swans for writing purposesblink.gif (sorry Kenton, not getting at you but whth is a 'tag cloud'? PS I am familiar with Tags, even the computing kind as opposed to the railway kind, but not how they get into clouds)

As for Groups the idea seems quite good although I do wonder if it will mean even more to go through on a visit - or will new posts within them show up under 'New Content' or 'Active Content'? My railway tastes are catholic to say the least so I dive into all sorts of places as I go down 'New Contents' etc... what happens now?

or will new posts within them show up under 'New Content' or 'Active Content'? My railway tastes are catholic to say the least so I dive into all sorts of places as I go down 'New Contents' etc... what happens now?

They will indeed show there so you can do as you already do Mike. What it should do though is encourage more diversity of content than repetition. :)

What I believe that Groups will do is provide a focus for the interested and help to prevent them from being disinterested. I've lost count long ago of the number of times I remember 'something' from RMWeb and then can't find it because I've not thought of the right search phrase. Groups will evolve and as such will help stimulate interest because they're collection of topics round a subject which is more easily scannable. RMWeb is big and will get bigger. Making 'stuff' easier to find is going to become more of a necessity.

• RMweb Gold

andy, on my ipad if i click the "groups" tag at the top of the forum i do indeed get the list of groups but in a different format to ypur screengrab.

however if i click the "groups" sub forum futher down the page all i see is something similar to what dave777 gets (protected forum) you can see dcc sound and archived posts as little clickys under "group subforums" but groups has no groups listed but says "no posts within the timescale" or words to that effect

i think im using safari on the pad?

• RMweb Gold

I wondered why my WAG posting had been archived after two days.

It may have been archived, Sandy, but I couldn't see anything to prevent one posting/replying to it, from the location it had been moved to.

what is a 'tag cloud'? PS I am familiar with Tags, even the computing kind as opposed to the railway kind, but not how they get into clouds)

Global warming, mate.

Finding my old 'stuff' is often not easy when it has drifted into the galaxy of lost threads, and so I try to keep at least one coach thread firmly on planet Active Content by adding occasional items. I know where my carriage blog is but does anyone else?

The GROUP idea looks interesting right now, but as more are added they will surely become lost in the mists of time without the aid of an index.

Archived