Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

34063 '229 Squadron'

• RMweb Premium

Hello Rob/Peter thanks for the comments, l had to re-do the wiper pick-ups on 229' (they are very crude but they work) and thats the main thing, really should have drilled the holes for plunger pick-ups in the chassis but forgot all about them and the holes for the brake rodding etc, still we live and learn don't we ?

Pickups look fine to me; as you say, they work and thats the main thing. I was going to suggest nickel-silver wire for the pickups, most efficient and easier to adjust than guitar-string,.

Not a fan of plungers myself, but my experience with them is limited to 4mm scale, probably a lot less of a pain in O-gauge.

l think 229 Squadron will be a white elephant, as l am seriously thinking of going southern 1930s

Well I dont suppose you would have any trouble selling it once its finishedf, if thats what you wanted.

Looks terrific,

All the best

Dave.T

Yes Andy, l tried all day to get them right, might be OK on small tank locos, but useless on a pacific ?,

Progress on the Bullied, well l'm at the painting stage now (at last),, and l have decided to re-name the loco to 'FIGHTER PILOT' Mainly as this was the first Bullied '00' l ever worked on many years ago, with an airfix plastic kit, and with Albert Goodall white metal parts / paper overlays etc............

Yes Andy, l tried all day to get them right, might be OK on small tank locos, but useless on a pacific ?,

Progress on the Bullied, well l'm at the painting stage now (at last),, and l have decided to re-name the loco to 'FIGHTER PILOT' Mainly as this was the first Bullied '00' l ever worked on many years ago, with an airfix plastic kit, and with Albert Goodall white metal parts / paper overlays etc............

Good choice of name change, 229 never ment anything to me but Fighter Pilot is good, well done mate.

I think you are spot on there Peter/Andy 'Fighter Pilot' is a much better name, l have been rather busy with all the brake gear, and she now has her first coat of BR Green, and real coal in the tender...

post-7716-0-04443600-1332327855_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-60328800-1332327952_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy/Rob your comments are always welcome, Rob you ask what next ? well l am really thinking of building a 'O' gauge layout, based on a small country station with probably 3 or 4 train movements a day at most, with small tank locos doing most of the work, don't think 'Fighter Pilot' would look right, so she will probably sit on a plinth on my shelf, unless l sell her,

As for the next loco, l fancy a B4 for the shunting duties in the yard, totally fictitious l know, l went to the Nottingham show with 'Andrew P' at the weekend and saw a lovely 'O gauge B4 shunting on a layout, it was well weathered and looked the part, l don't know if there is a kit for a B4 ? will have to look out for one if not l may scratch build one...........

Thanks Andy/Rob your comments are always welcome, Rob you ask what next ? well l am really thinking of building a 'O' gauge layout, based on a small country station with probably 3 or 4 train movements a day at most, with small tank locos doing most of the work, don't think 'Fighter Pilot' would look right, so she will probably sit on a plinth on my shelf, unless l sell her,

As for the next loco, l fancy a B4 for the shunting duties in the yard, totally fictitious l know, l went to the Nottingham show with 'Andrew P' at the weekend and saw a lovely 'O gauge B4 shunting on a layout, it was well weathered and looked the part, l don't know if there is a kit for a B4 ? will have to look out for one if not l may scratch build one...........

Dont forget that to scratchbuild a B4 you will need all the drawings and that may not be to easy mate.

'Fighter Pilot' just need's her BR lining and nameplate's and then l think she's finished, It has been a challenge, but l have made some friend's along the way, and had load's of encouragement from fellow RMwebber's, what with photos and comment's, can't believe l have been doing this for over a year, still it has been fun and l now have a bullied Pacific at last.

post-7716-0-82269900-1332517035_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-20225200-1332517166_thumb.jpg

Hi George, I guess that you are talking about a Southern B4? Sorry mate but a B4 to me would be an Ex GCR 8F which became the LNER B4. And yes I would love to see you scratch build one of those but it may not fit your planned shunting layout. :no:

Fighter Pilot looks superb, a real credit to you :sungum: - I do quite fancy an original Merchant Navy - which would be finished as Peninsular and Orient Lines (I usually go on holiday with P&O) although it wouldn't fit at all with anything else that I model.

Nice model!

For the B4 there was the old Vulcan kit, which was my first attempt at 7mm scale, over twenty years ago. At that time the Precision LSWR goods green was going through a period of non-availbability and I had to mix my own, similarly I had to hand letter it. Think it could do with a bit of a spring clean now! I believe that after Eric Underhill retired the range went to ABS; hopefully someone will buy the range up now that ABS appears to have ceased trading. They were quite a popular kit - an unmade one came up at a Vectis auction recently.

The kit was not perfect - there was no gap between the boiler and the tops of the tanks (there is a gap of a good couple of inches on a B4), but more seriously, although it was claimed to build as an open or closed cab version it does not properly build up as an open cab version - the cab roof is wrong (the central rib was only provided on closed cab variants) (I simply turned it upside down) the handbrake, certain other cab fittings bore no relation to those on Normandy (following several vists to the Bluebell I built the correct bits up from brass - my model is of the loco in preservation), and the cab shape required some adjustment. In friendly correspondance with Mr Underhill, he confirmed that the model had been based on the Bressingham example, which of course has a unique history having been converted from an open cab to a pukka closed cab version (as opposed to having weather sheets bolted into the open can structure), which was then cut back into an impresion of an open cab by Eastleigh Works in 1964, before being packed off for preservation in a Butlins camp. But these gripes aside it is a well engineered kit that is well manufactured and builds up nicely.

post-11245-0-71580800-1332547219_thumb.jpg

post-11245-0-82216300-1332547326_thumb.jpg

Thank you Phil - Andy - Peter - Rob, for the nice comment's as alway's very encouraging, l took 'Fighter Pilot' to my club on friday night to give her a real good running in session, and she loved it, ran really good all night, had a problem with the leading bogie, as l did not fit a spring to it, so if she hit a bump it would de-rail, but my friend Eric saved the day, and put it right, also the tender is slightly out of line with the loco, so will have to put that right, trouble is l soldered the tender chassis to the tender body?

Now l have to un-solder it and make a new chassis in which l will use two bolts to fix it to the tender, that way l can remove it if l need too in the future, well we live and learn,

There was another member who bought some early southern loco's up for a run-in session in olive green, l must admit l was more impressed with his loco's than mine, When 'Fighter Pilot' is all finished l will sell her on to finance my southern project, a nice little southern country type village with a small goods shed, nice little engine shed and lazy sunshine all day probably 1938-40,

Thank you Brake Compo for the info and picture's of you model, my friend Eric say's he has a 7mm drawing of a B4, so l my scratch build again,..regards georgeT

It you do a scratchbuild and want any of the unused bits from the Vulcan kit to help you on your way, e.g. closed cab components (including tank sides) and Drummond boiler fittings please shout.

The works GA drawing for the B4 Class is avialable from the NRM (see page 1 of the Eastleigh Works drawing list: http://www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/Files/NRM/PDF/archiveslists2012/railwaycompanyworks/Southern%20Railway%20drawing%20list%20Eastleigh%20Works%20Drawings.pdf

Hello Brake Compo, Any parts would be appreciated, as l would need to see if all the bits l would need are out there somewhere ? i,e chimney, domes etc, if you would kindly send me details of what you have and the price l would be very interested indeed..........with 'Fighter Pilot' l just went steaming ahead only to find l could not get the castings l needed from anyone, so l wont make that mistake again ? l will get all the parts before l scratch build again.......regards

I am offering them gratis George - they are unlikely to be of future use to me (one B4 is enough for me in one lifetime) and they might as well go to a good home where they will be used. Will dig out what I can find easily and post the pictures, hopefully in the next fews days. If you are interested in anything just PM me.

I managed to find a few spare minutes today to dig out the bits and take the following snap. Slightly perplexed as I could not find a dome - was sure that there was a Drummond dome for the Drummond boilered variants, but there was no sign of one with the other white metal castings. The etches have had a lucky escape - for years they lived in the bottom of the loco's box, but I found them amongst my scrap pieces of metal.

As can be seen the etches are for a closed cab & tank sides, a couple of spectacle plates and one roof rib. The white metal parts are an Adams stovepipe chimney, the smallest bits are a couple of fountains(?) for the tank tops, the funny corrugated thing is a linseed filtrator, fitted to Southampton Docks (i.e. open cabbed) B4s in the 1920s & 30s, while the long bit at the bottom is the mounting bracket for the linseed filtrator.

If you want anything George just PM me.

post-11245-0-43254600-1332797336_thumb.jpg

Archived