34063 '229 Squadron'

WOW....just found the topic. Wish I had the time and skill to build my own. This is an incredible rendition of the BoB/WC.

If someone would be willing to PM me, maybe we can work out what Goodall castings/parts are available and work some sort of transatlantic barter. I have a pair of Hornby WC's that really need quite a bit of detail work.

Sorry for the slight OT, and not wishing to dilute Georges thread, a couple of renders of the frames today. ....

Don't forget that Bulleid frames are spaced 3'3" apart, as opposed to the traditional 4'1.5". Hornblocks and guides are mounted on the centrelines of each frame plate.

Don't forget that Bulleid frames are spaced 3'3" apart, as opposed to the traditional 4'1.5". Hornblocks and guides are mounted on the centrelines of each frame plate.

@#%&$$!, that would explain why nothing lined up at the rear drag box when cross referenced with photos. I knew they were mid horn guide aligned but the drawings said 4' 1" apart. Do you, or anyone?, know the thickness of the frames, looks to be about 1" thick, additionally, is the 3' 3" frame center to center or between frame inner faces. Doesn't matter in 4mm or I suppose 7mm, but in 1/32nd its a difference of 35thou...approximately, again not much but if it could be right, then it should be right :).

Regards Michael

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if this will help or not, but on the drawing I have (E 1068, 4-6-2 engine, Drawing No E31491, date illegible), which I assume to be for a Merchant Navy the distance between frame faces is given as 3' 3 7/8" and the frame thickness as 1 1/8".

Don't know if this will help or not, but on the drawing I have (E 1068, 4-6-2 engine, Drawing No E31491, date illegible), which I assume to be for a Merchant Navy the distance between frame faces is given as 3' 3 7/8" and the frame thickness as 1 1/8".

Excellent, that'll be close enough, easiest way to check which frames they are is the distance between rear driver and pony truck wheel, 9'0" for light pacifics, 10' 0" for Merchant Navies.

Regards Michael

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, that'll be close enough, easiest way to check which frames they are is the distance between rear driver and pony truck wheel, 9'0" for light pacifics, 10' 0" for Merchant Navies.

Regards Michael

Yep, Merchant Navy it is then. :umbrage:

Don't forget the 'frame plates to have 1/8" radius on outside edges except where otherwise stated'!!

Hi, Have had a re-think on the type of tender l want for '229' as the shed layout l have planned will be about 1963, '229' would have had her tender cut-down by then, so l have scrapped the 4,500 high sided tender for a cut-down version, but l think we will have to get a bigger turntable?.....................

post-7716-0-22228200-1315173950_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-60800800-1315174013_thumb.jpg

Hello Horsetan, Amazing what you can do with four days off, l'm lucky when Cathy is at work, l have the day to myself, so l can get on with thing's, it wasn't that bad as l had the high sided tender to copy with a few change's, l will re-use the chassis, as l will never build another Bullied from scratch again ?

When l built the lamp's on the rear of the tender l used too much solder, so l cleaned it all off with my drill with a cutting disc on, certainly got it all off but when l applied the undercoat you could see a the mark's, it was awful, and was going to strip it all down and start again, that's when l decided to build another, l will use as much from the tender as l can, l think the cut-down tender look's better anyway................

• RMweb Gold

Flippin' heck George, you do more in a day than I do in a month! Good work.

I should be able to get under 007 or 105 on Sep 14th for the photos of the underside / frame spacers etc. which I think you wanted - anything else let me know before then.

Hi, Progress has been a bit slow lately on '229', l have been trying to finish the tank locos l have been building, still haven't saved up enough dosh for the wheels for '229', But l have been searching for a picture of '229 with a high sided 4,500 gallon tender, all l can find is pictures with a cut-down version, so as l am modelling 1963ish l have decided to give her a cut-down one, still have the wheels and brake gear to do yet.......................

post-7716-0-25058200-1315916684_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-96226800-1315916752_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-88444100-1315916847_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-90900700-1315916916_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-77130100-1315916980_thumb.jpg

If you're modelling 1963 ish then you'll need the AWS and AWS battery box on the front bufferbeam... Sorry! That's the problem with these Bulleids... you alter a design to fix one problem and there's a knock on effect elsewhere.

Personally, I prefer the front end modification with the batt box for the AWS, feeling it gives it a more purposeful look... I think these went in in about 1960.. although i can't find it listed for 063...but it must surely have had it!?!

Jon

Hello Rob, Jon and Andy, Thank's for the kind word's and helpful information, l need it believe me, l have studied hundred's of photo's of Bullied Pacific's, and as you say Jon they all differ, so l am going to stick to one photo, and try to get it right (or there about's)...Regard's

post-7716-0-29754700-1315937017_thumb.jpg

Hello Rob, Jon and Andy, Thank's for the kind word's and helpful information, l need it believe me, l have studied hundred's of photo's of Bullied Pacific's, and as you say Jon they all differ, so l am going to stick to one photo, and try to get it right (or there about's)...Regard's

Well... I don't care what anyone else thinks, but I think that the photo shows the BoB pacific in all her "worked" glory. This is exactly the feel that I was aiming for when I did my drawing of 34081 92 Sqn.... a copy of which in on my gallery on here... cut down tender, AWS front end and beaten air-smoothed casing. Lovely. My only concession would be the preference for the look of the 9' cabs. Otherwise.. SUPERB!!!!

Gents, had a nice day at York today, sadly could not get near 34051 so only a few overhead shots in the workshop, get them here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/34051.zip

Managed to get a couple of hours in the library and bagged some drawings on CD (to be posted), its quite a task to pick the ones you think you need from the description, depends on works and date of drawing and batch of locomotive, some were quite small orders, but picked 20 or so that I think I need to be getting on with, still missing the rear truck pivot stretcher. I asked at NRM and they will send the works drawing list as a pdf, so email going off shortly so I can peruse the list in peace at home.

However, on the way back I dropped by NVR where 34081 is stripped down to the frames and on jacks, it was late in the day and the chaps were just going home and locking up, but after hearing of my marathon 440mile 7 hour round trip, kindly left the workshop open for 10 mins so I could grab some shots, these are here http://homepage.ntlw...files/34081.zip its the lot, no descriptions, just off the camera and up loaded as they are, warts and all, there are some blurred ones but I've left them in there as reference as to what I need to take next time I go up, probably week after next, so enjoy the 70 odd frame images I bagged, theres no cohesion, I just pointed at everything and banged away like crazy so the guys could go home, big thanks to them for staying on a little longer to let me get these.

I think Phil is going under one or two tomorrow, thats great, only area I could not get is directly under the stretchers, specifically the rear pony truck pivot, best shirt and trousers you see :), so what Phil comes up with will be greatly received, the more the merrier I say.

Kindest Michael

Archived