What makes you choose what day to attend an exhibition?

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

On the occasions I am going as a punter rather than as an exhibitor then more often than not to fit in with the pattern of other events and commitments. If it is solely my free choice then afternoon (& Sunday in preference on 2 day shows) as the show is generally quieter so better for viewing the layouts/chatting to people I know who are exhibiting.

However as you can see from the examples below for many of us going to the show is one of several things that are on the essential "to do list" over the weekend - other than the events we commit to as performers/exhibitors due to the Societies we belong to my wife and I rarely have time for a fully dedicated hobby day/weekend.

Examples of this in practice - the two nearest local shows are Bridport (usually Sunday as my wife will come too and we combine it with a lunch at the farm shop making it a double day out) and Weymouth (Saturday morning these days as it is only 2 minutes up the road from my wife's choir practice venue - we double up to only use one car.) The most recent one I attended (Burton 7mm NGA show) was also governed by circumstance - it had to be visited as the doors opened on Saturday morning as I had a meeting in Derby in the afternoon, however without the previous night's overnight stay due to that meeting I wouldn't have been within visiting distance anyway!!

• RMweb Gold

If I am going on my own, its far more likely to be a Sunday as my wife and kids will be at Church in the morning, so it means it using time when we are not together. Also Saturdays are driven by various kids activities such as swimming lessons, plus I try an encourage my wife to go and do the Park Run if she can.

Speaking as someone who attends as both customer and exhibitor.

For visiting, other commitments allowing, if its a three day show [e.g. Glasgow] I'd visit on the middle day [though I can't remember the last time I visited Glasgow and wasn't operating]. If a two day show then Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. This way exhibitors have had time [hopefully] to sort out the bugs, but have not had time to become tired [and exhibiting is tiring]. Of course going early the first day has the advantage trade stands might have not sold out of the one item you wanted!

Slightly OT. I agree layouts should work from the start, but try loading a layout into a van and rattling it about for 50 miles!! It worked fine before we left the club premises, honestly....... [and Sods law says the problems don't show up until after the show opens]. On the subject of exhibitors starting to pack up early, yes they shouldn't do so, but if you've a large layout and leave everthing till the show closes it's not long before some organisers are breathing down your neck about the time you're taking.

Jeremy

As a customer it depends on whether I have to drive or not - if the venue is conveniently accessible by public transport from my neck of the woods then Saturday is normally favourite (unless, exceptionally, the relevant railway isn't being dug up on the Sunday), with an arrival timed at around 1300. If I am having to drive (as I had to for Railex this year) then Sunday is my preferred choice. What I have noticed in the last few years is that for the more distant exhibitions (or those that are a pain by public transport), I study the list of layouts on offer to see if a reasonable number are likely to appeal to my rather critical taste - this was the reason for the visit to the excellent Railex this year.

Andy

I usually attend shows on Saturdays, as the traveling is much better ( I have no car so have to rely on public transport).

This year I attended RAILEX on the Sunday as the lure of the Steam Rail Motor at Didcot on Staurday proved too strong. I appreciated the extra space and found everybody a bit more relaxed, but the journeys to and from the exhibition were horrendous.

Last year, the bus journeys from Hemel Hempstead to the exhibition and back, on the Saturday, took 2 hours each way. This year on the Sunday, I arrived at Aylesbury station after traveling for over 2 hours 30 minutes, to see the back of the free bus disappearing down the road. Rather than wait another hour at the bus stop, I took a taxi to the stadium. Even so, my overall journey time was close to 3 hours. The journey home was similarly horrific, considering the length of the journey. The journeys down to Didcot and back, on Saturday, were much more relaxed, despite having to use the Underground.

So in future I will keep to Saturdays, despite preferring the atmosphere on Sundays.

One idea was to raise the cost of admission to £7.50 on a Saturday and drop it to £6.50 on a Sunday.

Under normal circumstances I would opt for a Sunday as it is usually quieter on the roads but it would depend on whatever else I had or was going on over the weekend. Regarding trying to attract more visitors on a Sunday it is a good idea to reduce the admission cost for a Sunday. What would also help with attendances is offering a reduced rate for those of us unfortunate at the moment to be on benefits. Railway modellers are not exempt from losing their jobs so I feel it is important that you do not lose your hobby as well by being priced out of attending a local show. When you are trying to survive on the pittance that you are entitled to every penny really does count and makes the difference between attending and not. It might not seem much but being able to attend an exhibition and have a day out means a lot when you are unemployed and generally feel worthless and excluded from activities due to cost and give your mental health a welcome boost.

I generally attend on which ever days that the few of us from club can attend as we split the costs of petrol.

On the subject of exhibitors starting to pack up early, yes they shouldn't do so, but if you've a large layout and leave everthing till the show closes it's not long before some organisers are breathing down your neck about the time you're taking.

Jeremy

I agree with this one as on our layout 4 mainline and 2 branch line fiddle yards generally mean that from about an hour before show finish we have usually started topack everything away that takes the most time, ie. my freightliner spines are the first to go taking about 20 mins to put away. But we always leave a couple of trains on each line to play with so that we can still entertain. things like the voyagers and the easy ones to put away stay out till last.

What would also help with attendances is offering a reduced rate for those of us unfortunate at the moment to be on benefits. Railway modellers are not exempt from losing their jobs so I feel it is important that you do not lose your hobby as well by being priced out of attending a local show. have a day out means a lot when you are unemployed and generally feel worthless and excluded from activities due to cost and give your mental health a welcome boost.

Now this is a big one. Firstly how do you 'police' this one, because as much as I would like to see this happen, there is little hope. The reason is that if you asked for proof that the person is on benifits they can give an out of date sign-on book as I still have mine from 3 years ago.

What would also help with attendances is offering a reduced rate for those of us unfortunate at the moment to be on benefits. Railway modellers are not exempt from losing their jobs so I feel it is important that you do not lose your hobby as well by being priced out of attending a local show. When you are trying to survive on the pittance that you are entitled to every penny really does count and makes the difference between attending and not. It might not seem much but being able to attend an exhibition and have a day out means a lot when you are unemployed and generally feel worthless and excluded from activities due to cost and give your mental health a welcome boost.

Now this is a big one. Firstly how do you 'police' this one, because as much as I would like to see this happen, there is little hope. The reason is that if you asked for proof that the person is on benifits they can give an out of date sign-on book as I still have mine from 3 years ago.

I agree completely with Natalie!

The DWP send out so many letters to those trying to claim jobseekers that it would be easy to have something dated within a fornight of a show - produced with a photcard driving license to confirm the address. So it is possible but I would do it only for those who could prove that they were in recepit of benefits or, like in my case, signing on but receiving nothing! The DWP are useless and must waste a fortune with all their letters! (PS Mods, i have loads of evidence to back the useless claim up!)

I've noticed the York Show website actually stats "No concessions for unemployed" which just seems heartless. The only reason I went at the time was because my Dad paid.

There is one thing of course, many of those who have experienced unemployment will still pay full price if they can out of pride.

What makes you choose what day to attend an exhibition? It seems that normally attendance of model railway show attract 2/3 of visitors on a Saturday and 1/3 on a Sunday, with Railex Saturday is very crowded and Sunday quite relaxed, I was thinking what we could do to make more people come on a Sunday as the advantages are there is less problem finding a parking spot, the you can see exhibits much easier.

One idea was to raise the cost of admission to £7.50 on a Saturday and drop it to £6.50 on a Sunday.

I look forward to seeing what people think.

David

I know it's not much help but always make sure I choose to visit those shows I am exhibiting or operating at. Thoroughly enjoyed Railex, I would pay GBP 7.50 to visit, Brian.

I sail on Sundays, so It can only be a Saturday for a show for me , however this weekend I sail both days for up to 24hours!!

big plug on....It's the biggest inland waterways sailing race, The 3 Rivers Race taking place starting from Horning on the Norfolk broads, boats between 14 ft and 40ft, under bridges 6 times, 54 miles to cover, maximum of 24 hours, your choice of course to the turning marks!!

See Horning Sailing club site, and the Unofficial threeriversrace.org for details of what us lunatics get up to.

Big plug off

The Q

I agree completely with Natalie!

..snip..

There is one thing of course, many of those who have experienced unemployment will still pay full price if they can out of pride.

I'm with that too. I frequently wonder if those who claim concessions could prove it if asked. I think it would be no different to a "student" or the reduction for "families"

Perhaps that would be an added benefit (pun unintended) of Sunday attendance.

I actually consider even £7.50 (plus £1 for program) is good value compared to some shows. I've paid over £5 to get in to some shows with less than 10 layouts that couldn't even compare to the least favourite at RAILEX. On top of that you get good trade. Sometimes I think there is no real relation between what is being charged the punter and the value of entertainment of layouts and access to top of the range trade. When you even compare venues and facilities RAILEX is a bargain in comparison to some shows in dingy church/school halls - how much do Warley charge these days for that shambles?

As much as I support the small club show - in comparison I think the punter is taken for a ride.

IMHO there should be no concessions at a show period - but allow kids in free. The reason - because Ive sat at paydesks at shows every year and see the same old freeloaders trying it on, inevitably when asked politely and often flatteringly if they can provide proof (the bus pass will do thanks) then they can't. Believe me its nothing but hassle on a door at a show and by one size fits all approach whilst you get a few moaners, generally speaking it makes life a lot easier not having to make snap judgements.

Where do you draw the line with concessions anyway - There are plenty of people out there in employment on the national minimum wage with kids who are struggling to make ends meet who perhaps would like to come to a show but can't afford to, they are every bit as deserving of a discount as someone whos out of work. And why allow kids in free? because it then attracts more adults through the door!!

IMHO there should be no concessions at a show period - but allow kids in free. ...

Where do you draw the line with concessions anyway - There are plenty of people out there in employment on the national minimum wage with kids who are struggling to make ends meet who perhaps would like to come to a show but can't afford to, they are every bit as deserving of a discount as someone whos out of work. And why allow kids in free? because it then attracts more adults through the door!!

Totally agree. Everyone's doing this for fun, aren't they?

• RMweb Gold

The problem with concessions is where do you stop?

Example = I'm lucky enough to be retired with an employer pension, but am not yet 65, so no state OAP pension; therefore I don't get any concessions at shows (Nor do I expect one currently I hasten to add) yet when I do hit state pension age my available income will rise by whatever value the OAP pension will then be but due to age rather than income circumstances I start getting the ability to claim concessionary rates!

Assuming they are accompanied by someone who can be described as "adult"

And to answer your query Kenton ;) (and get some gratuitous publicity :yahoo:

MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION

ROCHDALE – NOVEMBER 2011 Oulder Hill Leisure Centre Hudsons Walk, Rochdale OL11 5EW

(3 miles from M62, junction 20 - signed on all major routes)

For a map, click here or here.

SATURDAY 5th November :10am-5.00pmSUNDAY 6th November :10am-4.30pm

Large free car park on site Refreshments available Disabled access

Adults - £ 5.00

Under 16s (unaccompanied) - £ 3.00

Under 16s (accompanied by adult) - FREE

As a punter I usually attend shows on Sunday:

a) The traffic is usually lighter on the roads.

B) I usually travel as part of a group of up to two cars. Sunday appears to be the better day due to family / football commitments on Saturday.

c) Sunday is usually quieter, and not so many familys.

On the reverse one of our group usually goes on a Saturday.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Generally Sunday for me, as I normally have a 5 year old in tow so crowds etc are a right no-no. Parking is usually better too as long as it's at a venue where parking is freely available.

I did attend Derby on Saturday afternoon this year as I had a family commitment on the Sunday. It was quiet enough and there's plenty of parking at Moorways.

Getting there as the doors open on Saturday does not attract these days as box shifter bargains are not my thing

For me it would depend on the type of show and what I was going for. If I'm looking for something specific from a trader I would go on a Saturday but if going more to look at the layouts and for a general browse I would more likely to go on a Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

Something a bit different on the 'concessions' theme; I went to a 'vintage steam etc' event at the weekend - no concesssionary price for OFs but instead they got a complimentary copy of the programme (normal price £1.50). Not quite sure how a show organiser could run theh admin/results measurement of something like that but it struck me as quite a clever idea.

I've long been in the habit of attending shows on Sundays. This mainly comes from when I used to work part time on Saturdays.

Since coming out of education and being one of the lucky people to get a Job I've tried going to shows on the Saturday but mainly I find the sunday to be better because: a) less traffic on the roads meaning better/easier travelling B) Generally fewer people attending meaning it's less crowded.

Being retired and a car owner I take the car to the station (no buses at that unearthly hour of the morning), and then catch the first train out of Inverness. I visit Glasgow on the Friday (avoiding the overloaded train full of shoppers on the Saturday) and Perth on the Saturday, leaving mid-pm to avoid the shopaholics returning from Glasgow, since Sunday train travel in Northern Scotland is most definitely a no-no, no-go, and to be avoided like a severe case of the plague! :huh:

Archived