Leon

Hi guys hope all are well. Unfortunately no progress, I am struggling to find interest anymore. I think the lack of natural light is a big problem for me, really need a skylight in the roof for me to be able to stay up there any period of time. I guess a lot has changed on the modelling scene over the past few months?

Grab a few pics, nothing new tho sorry.

post-5554-0-02169200-1383399994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 4

This really is a cracking layout Leon, I think being set on the "curve" really helps set it apart from the all too common layouts with rows of dead straight sidings. 

Keep up the job work & posting the cracking photo's.

Cheers

Edited by sdw7300

Thanks guys, I based the yard on Tidal which is on a slight curve.

I am having thoughts of rebuilding as I am struggling to pay for all the various wagons. I have always been drawn to South Wales coal mines and I'm thinking of changing it to one? I can then concentrate I just getting three types of wagon - HAA, HEA & MEA. I think I can get away with keeping the track work as it is, the sidings would stay as sidings for the coal wagons with the nearest two so used to load via shovel. I would however get rid of the steelworks which would become the headshunt. I will also loose the tmd and wagon works.

The areas around the layout would then be just coal heaps.

Your thoughts?

Hi Leon,

Good to see you back, have to admit I too have been struggling lately with my layout.

Being someone that has changed their layout often, my advice would be to plan the next one rather than have an idea, rip up the scenic and then realise it's not actually what you wanted.  I did a quarry style layout once which is similar to the coal idea you have. The problem with it is the limitations of movements and lack of variety with regards to stock. Didn't you introduce ECS moves to add a bit of added interest to the current layout?

Saying that, if its an itch that needs scratching then you need to do what's right for you. 

I would try and keep the depot or wagon works just for the added interest, I'm sure what ever you choose to do will capture the theme as you've done so well with the current layout.

Good luck

Scott

Hi Leon, lovely layout this with plenty of that gritty South Wales atmosphere  :good: With regards to the natural light problem, have you thought about using Daylight tubes ? I see the layout is in the loft, is there any chance you could position the lights 1/2 way down the roof eves so they sit above your layout, you could even put a pelmet in front of them so they concentrate the light down onto the layout and not shine out into the walkway area. I have done that in my loft area, I got the lights mounted and fed the power from a switched fused spur, and the wires are in surface mounted white plastic conduit, ok it may not be the 100% ideal situation, but it beats ripping out plaster and making a mess that way, as the conduit can be concealed in places.

Hope this idea helps, but then again you may already be doing that ???

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Hi guys, really appreciate the advice. I don't want to sound ungrateful I know I am lucky to have the space I have to play with. South Wales Freight was planned with as much a possible to keep the operator interested so that's why I have a TMD, Wagon Works, Marshalling Yard, Steelworks and two fiddle yards one of which is a pretend Docks. Having all this pretty much means I can run what I like when I like, such as Coal, Steel, Petroleum, General Railfreight, Containers etc as well as the occasional coaching stock and departmental trains and light engine movements to the depot. This means I am always kept busy. On the down side from this I struggle to operate such a large layout and also to fund all the rolling stock I desire where as a Coal Mine would concentrate my stock requirements to just three types of Coal wagon and a few locomotives and allow me to purchase sound decoders. Having looked at the layout again and the time spent on buildings etc I think I will carry on and try to improve the area's I'm not happy with, If I make changes now I would feel I had given up and may regret losing the TMD and Wagon Works etc and become bored again.

Craig - I will post a pic of the lighting setup to see what you think. Also thanks to David and Scott.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I based the yard on Tidal which is on a slight curve.

I am having thoughts of rebuilding as I am struggling to pay for all the various wagons. I have always been drawn to South Wales coal mines and I'm thinking of changing it to one? I can then concentrate I just getting three types of wagon - HAA, HEA & MEA. I think I can get away with keeping the track work as it is, the sidings would stay as sidings for the coal wagons with the nearest two so used to load via shovel. I would however get rid of the steelworks which would become the headshunt. I will also loose the tmd and wagon works.

The areas around the layout would then be just coal heaps.

Your thoughts?

Sounds very interesting!! would be nice to see what you come up with Leon... :no:  :locomotive:

Hi Leon,

I would keep the variety if I were you, you can always add more coal wagons as money allows and use other wagons a bit less. I have recently bought some Railraod MGRs from Hattons, they have a 3 pack for 14.00 quid.

You might find if you make up a timetable and run trains to that it will give a purpose for locos arriving on and off shed and into the yard on trains etc. It makes running Llanbourne less boring.

Keep the pics coming it's a great layout.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I haves rake of the Railroad HAA, great price for building up trains, decided to keep the layout as it is for now and hopefully crack on through the winter, next job is to replace all the Backscene as it's coming away.

Many thanks peter.

• Like 1