Leon

Thanks Lee, still a lot more clutter to get when I have the money, I want some skips and I see Ten Comandments do fly tipped items such as tyres, fridges etc. still a lot to get, need to think about signalling soon, I think there will be just one and that will be at the exit to the fiddle yard as the trains pass the depot into the tunnel. Will have to do a bit of research on what type is suitable. Also looking at some point to get more floodlights, not on the layout but to light the layout, at the monument the attic has 12 GU10 spot lis and a 500w floodlight on stand but the pictures still look dark at times.

Edited by Leon

Nice Pics Leon,

The passenger stock useing the yard to run round or to be parked up was quite common back in the day, and having a railtour certainly works for me. The headboard on your class 59 looks great.

47612 looks nice too I will have to give my 613 a run always like the Inter City liv.

Your NSE MK1 could be seen in a rake with MK2 air cons but matching MK2 brakes would be more common I am sure you will be able to pick up a cheap one now that Bachmann have announced theirs. 

Cheers Peter.

Ah thanks Peter, I did get a MK2 intercity brake on ebay for £11, then the seller pulled out, prob cos I got it so cheap. I liked the livery to, hence me buying them, glad the rail tour looks good. Gives me a reason to run them with different traction. I think I will still look out for a MK2 brake, possibly a blue/grey one. I will try to build up more NSE MK1s to be used on Rugby Specials.

All the best and have a great Easter break all.

Thanks 66, not sure it blends in with the freight yard, but nice to have a change I guess, will be concentrating on increasing the freig stock next. Could do with some more steel wagons.

Always nice to have good range of modern stock Leon...

Good evening all, Hope you never got bored of all the Intercity 47 action recently, back to normal this evening, after 47612 runs round its train ready to depart, we see 60062 arrive with a short depot fuel train. Its then seen backing its train into one of the sidings tucking herself behing a rake of HAA's. Super shunter 09109 from trainload Metals pool is seen drawing a freightliner train up from the docks. 56032 pulls through with a metals service to Llanwern. Lastly Trainload Metals 37/2 arrives to colect a short train of Railfreight HEA's. Not sure if 37201 will last and may need replacing before leaving Morfa Bank, not sounding too good.

post-5554-0-88359300-1364675589_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-50351600-1364675612_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-69309300-1364675634_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-08397600-1364675651_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-16356800-1364675671_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-80579800-1364675686_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-77347000-1364675705_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-20309000-1364675719_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-90391600-1364675739_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Ah thanks Peter, I did get a MK2 intercity brake on ebay for £11, then the seller pulled out, prob cos I got it so cheap. I liked the livery to, hence me buying them, glad the rail tour looks good. Gives me a reason to run them with different traction. I think I will still look out for a MK2 brake, possibly a blue/grey one. I will try to build up more NSE MK1s to be used on Rugby Specials.

All the best and have a great Easter break all.

No worries Leon,

Happy Easter. You could get a few blue grey MK1s to mix with your NSE rake. Looking forwards to seeing what turns up on a railtour next.

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One question guys, I did buy a NSE brake, can anyone tell me if the combo in the picture would have happened? Im not concerned about the mix of NSE & InterCity as I know this did happen. My question is would the older brake be used with the more modern looking InterCity, the mix of windows dont look right to me, I see they are both C1 which I belive is relevent to the speeds? Thanks in advance.

C1 refers to the route clearance - i.e. size of the stock. Mk1 and Mk2 is C1, the longer Mk3's are C3, so need larger clearances on curves etc. (A 20m long Class 150 is C1, Class 156 and 158 are C3 as they are 23m long)

Mixing Mk1 and Mk2 (and Mk3) isn't uncommon. Some WCML rakes had a Mk1 BG, Mk2 coaches, with a Mk3 catering vehicle. All you really need to worry about is that the continuous brake through the train was air or vacuum, with a loco capable of operating said brake type.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon all, Been a while. Been spending time on the mountian bike and inthe garden recently not the attic. Going to sit down when I get five and read through everyones updated posts.  Stopped of at Margam yesterday snapped a rather nice 60.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Cheers

Leon

post-5554-0-76904600-1369669057.jpg

post-5554-0-95916600-1369669090.jpg

• Like 4

Being honest I havent been back to see SWF for a while after generally being out of the loop but must admit I admire you for sticking with the same layout and concept for nearly 4 years without being binned through loss of interest.

Excellent stuff.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I haven't been spending enough time on the mountain bike recently and with a trip to Switchbacks in Bubion fast approaching, I need to get out and get fit :)

Sometimes, a break from a layout can be a good thing as you come back with fresh ideas and enthusiasm. What I like about SWF is that it is a different concept to many modern (well, not steam :D ) layouts and is all the better for it. It is believable, e.g. The layout justifies the locos and stock seen on it, and that, unfortunately, is quite rare.

Disclaimer: I am guilty of the above, as some of the locos I have would have been exceptionally rare in Bacup, and one of the kits I have (for an L&Y 0-8-0 - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2606508) had all gone ten years before the layout is set, but rule 1 applies :D

Jason.

Leon

Really like the pictures in post 1010. Can I ask where you sourced the man hanging off the loco in the 7th picture?

Love the feel to them. The first of this set is my favourite, not only do you have a lot of the finer details in place, but your use of colour is tonally well balanced. 

Subtle use of weathering also.

I am off to go look at the whole of the thread, expect to be a while  :mosking:

Hi Leon

Just spent a few hours reading through this thread from the begining, fantastic layout and very South Wales, it's just the sort of atmosphere I want to aim for on my layout, very 50002. 

Ian

Evening all, just a few poor quality shots from the iPad.

A single Cargowagon sits in the Yard. A clear up of the garden has provided some timber for the timber yard, just need some OTA,s for them. VGA stands in he steelworks.

Lastly some advice needed, after seeing Pitbulls new signal it has reminded me that I need one for the exit. I was going to site it at the entrance to the tunnel, I know nothing about signals. I have seen two and three light from Ekon, can anyone tell me which type is suitable for this location?

Thanks.

post-5554-0-83863300-1371068006_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-07192600-1371068075_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-86169600-1371068111_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-01878300-1371068201_thumb.jpg

• Like 15