New Bryford - the Final Countdown.

newbryford

Hi Mick

Thanks. I am at Glasgow, playing trains with Mr Tailby and at the same time demoing how to cut and shut Tri-ang coaches into EMUs and DMUs. So I will come and have a play drive.

You know that New Bryford has an extra C in it's electrics don't you, you're Woodhead, this is the Great Eastern after they saw the light.

Hi Mick,

Nice to finally see New Bryford at Warley! I can't believe it's been going since the 90's! Some great stock on show, my favourite being the FLHH rake of HIAs as we had a similar rake run down here in South Wales to Neath when FL had the contract!

PS: Ta for the OBAs!

Cheers

Wayne

• RMweb Premium

Very nice! An unusual view. I spy some red wagons too :D

That video also features some exceptionally rare footage...Mick OPERATING!!! :O

:jester:

Jack.

I've never seen that before, I didn't think he knew how !! :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-408-0-58414900-1543747555_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's more like your usual pose !!!

Cheers,

Phil

Bloody operator fools....set the route first and it won't short out!

Engage!

To be fair....does look the leader!

Cheers,

Phil

Engage!

Cheers,

Phil

Engage!

• 5 weeks later...

There have been rumours, but I can formally announce that New Bryford is for sale. It will be available after the Glasgow exhibition in 22-24 February 2019.

16' x 8' double track continuous run.

Portable exhibition layout that has regularly appeared at shows around the UK and also in the model press.

It will be sold as a working layout minus rolling stock and most of the road vehicles - although there are a few that are glued down, so they will obviously stay on.

DCC system not included, but all you have to do is connect up to two wires to power up the track.

Please contact me via PM if you are serious - no "tyre kickers" please.

I'll see it 'in the flesh' at Model Rail Scotland in February, but from the photographs on this thread, I could be tempted to purchase a layout like New Bryford (given how painfully slow progress has been on my own plans), albeit I would need to understand how I could make it slightly smaller.  My attic can accommodate a 16' long layout or one 8' wide, but unfortunately, due to the location of the cold water storage tank, I can't quite accommodate a 16' by 8' layout.  Would there be scope to reduce the overall length of the layout by around 9" by shortening a couple of the middle boards (one to the front and also the fiddle yard)?  It looks as though the tracks may be parallel to the baseboard edge.  Alternatively, could a 45 degree slice be taken off any of the corners?  Modifying the corners would be another way to possibly make it fit.

I'll see if I can find the May 2014 issue of BRM referred to earlier, which I think it appeared in as I'm sure that may answer some questions that I have, but I'll ask them here anyway as the answers may be of interest to other prospective purchasers.

1. Do you have a track plan - I couldn't see one in this thread?
  2. What is the operating height of the layout (ie floor to underside of baseboards / track level)?
  3. A post in this thread indicates that the track is PECO (presumably 00).  Are the points electrofrog (I'm assuming they are) and what is the minimum radius of the curves at either end (I'm assuming that the minimum radius is probably around 2' 6" or 3')?  Are the points generally small, medium or large radius?
  4. The layout is DCC - how many separate power districts / sub-districts are there?  I'm interested in how easy it would be to operate some DC stock (in the short term).  Whilst I have a DCC controller, most of my stock is still DC at the moment.
  5. What type of point motors are employed and are these DCC operated or is the layout DCC for the trains and analogue for the route setting / point switching?
  6. What is the maximum size of the baseboards?  I'd need to actually determine whether I could get all baseboards into my attic, not just that it would fit when it was there!

See you at Glasgow next month.

• RMweb Premium

I'll see it 'in the flesh' at Model Rail Scotland in February, but from the photographs on this thread, I could be tempted to purchase a layout like New Bryford (given how painfully slow progress has been on my own plans), albeit I would need to understand how I could make it slightly smaller.  My attic can accommodate a 16' long layout or one 8' wide, but unfortunately, due to the location of the cold water storage tank, I can't quite accommodate a 16' by 8' layout.  Would there be scope to either reduce the overall length of the layout by around 9" by shortening a couple of the middle boards (one to the front and also the fiddle yard)?  It looks as though the tracks may be parallel to the baseboard edge.  Alternatively, could a 45 degree slice be taken off any of the corners?  Modifying the corners would be another way to possibly make it fit.

I'll see if I can find the May 2014 issue of BRM referred to earlier, which I think it appeared in as I'm sure that may answer some questions that I have, but I'll ask them here anyway as the answers may be of interest to other prospective purchasers.

1. Do you have a track plan - I couldn't see one in this thread?
  2. What is the operating height of the layout (ie floor to underside of baseboards / track level)?
  3. A post in this thread indicates that the track is PECO (presumably 00).  Are the points electrofrog (I'm assuming they are) and what is the minimum radius of the curves at either end (I'm assuming that the minimum radius is probably around 2' 6" or 3')?  Are the points generally small, medium or large radius?
  4. The layout is DCC - how many separate power districts / sub-districts are there?  I'm interested in how easy it would be to operate some DC stock (in the short term).  Whilst I have a DCC controller, most of my stock is still DC at the moment.
  5. What type of point motors are employed and are these DCC operated or is the layout DCC for the trains and analogue for the route setting / point switching?
  6. What is the maximum size of the baseboards?  I'd need to actually determine whether I could get all baseboards into my attic, not just that it would fit when it was there!

See you at Glasgow next month.

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest.

It is marginally under 16 x 8 - that's the quoted size for exhibition managers.

The corners could be modified but not without work to the attached boards as well - so looking at altering two corner boards at each end as well as those attached to them - so 8 in total!

Shortening it is not a viable proposition without major surgery either - four boards would need to be done.Front layout, front scenic and 2 x fiddle yard boards.

I'll add a trackplan shortly. I think there's one upthread somewhere - will have a look and edit later.

Track level is approximately 42"from the floor - but the legs can easily be altered.

Trackwork is all Peco - Code 75 medium electrofrog in the scenic sections and Code 100 short insulfrog in the storage yards. Minimum radius is nominally 2'6" but there is one tiny section that is marginally sharper.

No separate power districts - it was originally DC with two controllers and common return, but made into one DCC area by removing (and shorting out the switches at a terminal strip). All the DC wiring/plugs/sockets are still in place so in theory could be converted back to DC use with a few hours work.

All point motors are Peco PL10 and operated from a conventional CDU panel - there is some diode matrix switching of routes.

Baseboard sizes vary - 3' x 18", 4' x 15" and 6 ' x 9"

With regard to it being an "attic" layout, the scenic sections are all designed to be viewed from the outside, although that wouldn't stop them being used in a larger space with boards added to make the layout be viewable/operable from the scenic side.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

Thanks for the answers - I'll have to give this some thought.  The layout height is okay (I'd already ascertained that something like 43" was optimal for my circumstances - as long as the underside of the baseboards are higher than about 38" they would clear a wooden baton at an access hatch) and obviously the baseboards are reasonably small, so I should be able to handle these relatively easily.  I'm aware that the scenic area should be viewed from the front, but my attic is 11' 9" wide, so I could arrange for a roughly 3' 6" viewing gallery along the front with full headroom.  The only problem is the length, as I can only accommodate with reasonable ease a layout that is 15' 3" in length - I've just checked with a tape measure.  If shortening New Bryford isn't a viable proposition, then I probably need to pass.

Unfortunately, the opposite attic wall is long enough to accommodate all 16' without shortening, but I would be constrained to a maximum width of 7' 7" at the left side of the layout when viewed from the front.  I wouldn't need to modify all corners, just the one behind 'pie bridge', where I'd hope to be able to keep the scenic area unchanged and leave the track on its existing alignment but remove a triangle of hopefully bare baseboard from the corner.  However, I'll have to take some careful measurements to ascertain precisely how it would fit in this orientation and it wouldn't be as convenient for others to view (although the lighting would arguably be better).  The station corner and the one diagonally opposite in the fiddle yard definitely wouldn't have to be changed.

Anyway, if you can post a track plan that would be great.  I'll also go through our library of back issues of BRM when I'm at the E&LMRC club room tomorrow evening.  I'm sure there will be a track plan to accompany the article from 2014.

Hi Mick,

I’m looking forward to seeing New Bryford at Glasgow for one last time. Excellent layout which I first saw in the 90’s at Blackburn one match day and I remember it being so current back then and a few years back at Barrow it’s just kept up with the times so well. 16x8 would easily fit in my garage too. See you soon

Cheers

Mark

Baseboard sizes vary - 3' x 18", 4' x 15" and 6 ' x 9"

Mick,

A few further questions, because I'm not quite sure how the scenic area is 12' long and the whole layout is 16':

A few quick pics taken at Blackburn show.

attachicon.gifDSCF4097s.jpg

I'm assuming from the above photograph of the fiddle yard (post #54) that the fiddle yard boards are the ones that are 15" wide, which means that the total reach from the central operating well to the outside line in the fiddle yard is approximately 30".   That seems to be about as far as I can reach with the layout at the stated height and seven tracks on a 15" wide board at 2" centres seems about right.

Over the last couple of shows, the only niggly problem has been a couple of rail joints that have been suffering the ravages of time - particularly those where the track is curved across a baseboard joint.

The original solution was a copper coated nail, soldered to the rail, but over time, these have either bent or disconnected as the joint between the rail and nail wasn't particularly strong.

The solution isn't pretty, but doesn't need to be, as they are hidden from normal viewing. It is very reliable and this is a higher priority.

I've cut back the rails to about 2" from the board joint, then I fix a large piece of PCB/copperclad across the joint, using plenty of glue and a few screws. Once it is set, the rails are relaid over the joint and all soldered into place.

The mini drill is next, slicing through the whole assembly. Finally, using a grinding disc in the mini drill to remove thin slots of copper to isolate the rails.

attachicon.gifNB1.jpg

attachicon.gifNB2.jpg

I have one more joint to do before the trip to BRM Ally Pally in 11 days.

Cheers,

Mick

The baseboard at the right side in the photographs in the above post (#197) seem to be of the baseboard at the front left end of the layout (when viewed from the front).  Would I be correct in assuming that this board must be one of the baseboards that is 18" wide?  The same baseboard appears in the front of the first picture in the image below (post #5).  However, if the 6' x 9" baseboards are the two scenic ones that house the buildings and back-scene, that would imply that these end boards must be wider than 18" - possibly closer to 2' to get the total layout length up to 16' or thereabouts.

An overall view of the layout

attachicon.gifDSCF3639s.jpg

Taken from the inside, showing the new deeper section to the backscene

attachicon.gifDSCF3642s.jpg

From the other end - the box for the new station building and concourse taking shape. The new high backboards are also in place

attachicon.gifDSCF3648s.jpg

At the moment, I'm just trying to understand how the various baseboards fit together: I've not quite given up on finding a way to make it fit my attic.  Unfortunately I'm still looking for a photograph that shows the rear right hand corner.  It's such a pity that everyone just photographs or videos the scenic areas!!

• RMweb Premium

Mick,

A few further questions, because I'm not quite sure how the scenic area is 12' long and the whole layout is 16':

I'm assuming from the above photograph of the fiddle yard (post #54) that the fiddle yard boards are the ones that are 15" wide, which means that the total reach from the central operating well to the outside line in the fiddle yard is approximately 30".   That seems to be about as far as I can reach with the layout at the stated height and seven tracks on a 15" wide board at 2" centres seems about right.

The baseboard at the right side in the photographs in the above post (#197) seem to be of the baseboard at the front left end of the layout (when viewed from the front).  Would I be correct in assuming that this board must be one of the baseboards that is 18" wide?  The same baseboard appears in the front of the first picture in the image below (post #5).  However, if the 6' x 9" baseboards are the two scenic ones that house the buildings and back-scene, that would imply that these end boards must be wider than 18" - possibly closer to 2' to get the total layout length up to 16' or thereabouts.

At the moment, I'm just trying to understand how the various baseboards fit together: I've not quite given up on finding a way to make it fit my attic.  Unfortunately I'm still looking for a photograph that shows the rear right hand corner.  It's such a pity that everyone just photographs or videos the scenic areas!!

This is the best shot I can find of the layout.

post-408-0-17638000-1547161697_thumb.jpg

The joint pictures is beyond the bridge at the left end.

The fiddle yard is in two sections - each 15" wide.

Can't find a neat trackplan, but this should help.

post-408-0-30466700-1547162272_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

When you're taking some of your final photographs, would you mind taking and posting a couple of photographs of the area that I've circled in the image below.

post-13791-0-54558000-1547304846.jpg

The photograph above shows something behind the station, but I'm not sure if this is a control panel or a stock box sitting on top of a shelf.  Anyway, it's the corner I'm most interested in because it's the one I'd need to modify most and I can't find any photographs showing what is there.

Thanks for clarifying the layout of the baseboards.  The only ones that I'm not clear on the sizes of are the ones that I have shaded in green.  To get up to the stated 16' x 8' overall dimensions, these boards would each need to be 46.5" x 24".  I'd therefore be grateful if you would also check the size of these when you have it up for the last time.  If they are less than those dimensions, then the overall layout must be less that 16' x 8', which would be great from my point of view.  The two red rectangles that I have drawn on top of your plan are the locations where I would need to make changes to be able to accommodate New Bryford in the only feasible space I have at home.

post-13791-0-21587800-1547305476.jpg

I'm confident that I could remove a 9" x 5" rectangle from the front corner and modify the leg that supports that board, as there doesn't seem to be any track there.  For practical purposes it would be easier to cut a triangle 18" in from the corner along the front and 10" along the side end or maybe even make the corner curved.  For the rear, I'd need to be able to cut a rectangle about 10" x 30", which would mean modifying two baseboards.  I envisage the rear board being relatively easy, as I assume that there is no track on the bit I'd want to remove, but I'm less clear about the other board.  However, it looks as though there would only be three baseboards that I'd need to modify and if the layout is smaller than 16' x 8', then the size of these areas would obviously reduce also.

Have you had many offers to purchase New Bryford yet?

Archived