RMweb

Class 85

Michael Delamar

Great video that..! lLoking at it I was briefly transported back to the cold and windy platform of Rugby Midland in the 'Winter Of Discontent', when just about every other high speed freight and parcels train had an 85 on the front, alongside 81s, 82s and the odd 83.... well and done Bachmann, you've made time travel almost become reality!

• Like 1

What struck me as a little odd was theres no OHE warning flashes on the model, then I looked at pictures of the real things in that era, and they don't have any too. Why was that? I thought everything had them after about 1961.

Well D605, if you were working on these locos day in day out you should already be well aware of the what's coursing through those wires above your head and shouldn't need reminding!

• Like 3

D605Eagle, on 16 May 2012 - 10:53 , said:

What struck me as a little odd was theres no OHE warning flashes on the model, then I looked at pictures of the real things in that era, and they don't have any too. Why was that? I thought everything had them after about 1961.

Well D605, if you were working on these locos day in day out you should already be well aware of the what's coursing through those wires above your head and shouldn't need reminding!

What is even more surprising is that the AC electrics did not recieve the yellow panels until 1965, despite being much quieter & quicker on the approach than the English Electric type 4s & Stanier machinery that preceded them.

• Like 1

I'm very glad that everyone enjoyed the video, it was a bit of a rush job but fun to make.

At the moment 85026 is quietly resting in its box in the spare room. The wife thinks it should enter revenue earning service in August but I have other ideas.

Guest Max Stafford

"it was a bit of a rush job but fun to make."

Heh, I see what you did there...! ;) Good little film though.

Strange as it seems, the AC locos don't seem to have recieved OHL flashes until rather late. This was perhaps due to there being less need to go above floor level on an electric than with other forms of traction. As Lewishambill states, when you were aware of what actually powered one of these you had 25,000 good reasons not to climb above floor level!

Dave.

• Like 1

Yes but the signs were put on locos to warn of the dangers. Just because they are there all the time with an electric loco is no reason to leave them off. I think MaxStafford answered the question best, theres no need to get aloft, plus theres no steps or anyway of getting up there.

Edited by D605Eagle
  • Like 1

:triniti: Mine best be winging its way to me as we speak!! Hattons kind email told me it had been packed and posted this morning!! Hoping a kind postman delivers tomorrow!!

The loco looks superb and yes I always found it strange that electric locos didnt receive overhead flashes in the main. Right upto privatisation in the mid 90's there were only a handful of AC loco with them. In fact theres only 87 101 in my fleet that will have them.

Cav

• Like 1

Did the overhead warning flashes have something to do with steam heating boilers? Locos with boilers required someone to climb onto the roof the fill the boiler water tank. That's why a lot of diesels had steps built into the sides. Electric locos didn't have steam heating boilers so there was no need to climb onto the roof. Perhaps this explains the lack of warning signs in the early years.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1

Also got me confirmation email today for me this is the the most eagerly awaited model Ive been over a model since DELTIC

Ive always wanted one of these beauties since I read Graham Clark's article in Practical Model Railways March 86

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After delving into my archives, I've found a little something for Mr Stafford: 85 030 bringing a special into Carlisle on Wednesday 12th August 1981. Sir Nigel Gresley, then running as 4498, was waiting to take the train back over the S & C route.

post-7291-0-08415100-1337269362_thumb.jpg

I haven't been back to Carlisle since, so I think a return visit is slightly overdue...

• Like 3

Well, I have to say this loco has given me the best laugh of the week. Not the model itself, it looks superb, but I've been advised that some folk are getting hot and bothered about this Ebay member:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-678-Class-85-Electric-85026-BR-Blue-/190679421585?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c65611291

Apparently there's disquiet at him trading at a profit as soon as the model's out; well, look just a few inches to the right of course, and you can clearly see it's a shop. Erm, that's what they do, isnt it :derisive:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Apparently there's disquiet at him trading at a profit as soon as the model's out; well, look just a few inches to the right of course, and you can clearly see it's a shop. Erm, that's what they do, isnt it :derisive:

Exactly!

The RRP is £112.45, ebay price £105.99 - what's the problem?

Cheers,

Mick

Dunno about £79, I paid £90 for mine and worth every penny.

Forgot to add earlier that the 85 comes with a detailing pack (hoses, couplings etc) and also an etched pair of BR arrows.

Just need the Mk 1s now...

Come, come young Ian, the vicarious dig hasnt gone unnoticed.

For the benefit of those not in the know, I was the person slating the seller and yes, I got it wrong (bull in a china shop moment - we all do it).

To get a full screen I have to tab across so in my haste I made the comment and missed that it was a shop thinking it was another carpet bagger-so then, is it really such a big deal and worth mentioning here or a lame (and I would add, failed) attempt to cause me embarassment perhaps? I dont think anybody here is overly interested but I dare say Ian has now cracked his face if something this trivial caused him such a good belly laugh.

• Like 1

My models arrived today and I am extremely pleased with them.

I may be going mad, but I thought this model was supposed to be £79 when it came out?

NL

I think the initial RRP was set at around £93 and then it went to £112 around March when we had the general price increases.

You can still obtain them for £76 if you shop around.

still got my AL5 on pre order from Hattons, £78 which includes £2 postage, I know i live about 6 miles from Hattons but its the other side of town and for £2 its cheaper and easier to have it posted. just best put some money away now if they are close.

Edited by michael delamar