Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Kevin and/or Pitbull,

I am constantly amazed by the superb quality of the photograhs that you have posted. I always look forward to the next one!!!

Can you please provide details of the camera equipment, settings etc used?

Sean

Many thanks Sean, posted below is a previous post from earlier on in this thread I hope that no body minds if I post it again - along with a couple of photos that are my personal favourites.

"My little Kodak Easyshare 813 is the very first camera that I have ever owned, and I have only had that for 18 months and that really is my only experience of photography, my misses taking all of our family/holiday photos over the years, here is a photo of my "lighting equipment" that I use.

post-5799-064073800 1285159346_thumb.jpg

The only 'photoshopping' that I use came with a £39.00 HP Photosmart C4480 combined printer/scanner/copier and is called HP Photosmart Essential 3.5 in which enables me to carry out limited cropping and lighting improvement, what I do is experiment with different camera angles, zoom settings in both normal and close up modes, and turn the room lights on and off, draw and undraw the curtains and use the lighting equipment pictured above, and take loads and loads of shots - most have to be sent to the recycle bin but every now and then I like to think a good one comes out".

Anybody got 10p?

post-5799-056652400 1285159443_thumb.jpg

A similar photo to one taken from a few pages back, O0OO (Alex) commented on.

A class 47 sets of for Eastleigh with a load of scrap.

post-5799-029686600 1285159629_thumb.jpg

Regards.

Kevin.

• Like 3

I always thought that they combined the Poole and Plymouth sections at Brum NS for the onward journey to Inverness, I used to always see it at Basing I think it was about 8.30pm-ish by the time it got their, it was just such an unusual short train usually hauled by a 47 (I never saw anything else on it). A little bit later there was another 47 on a short parcels (about 2 vans) once completed loading/unloading it took off like a bat out of hell, it must have been an end of shift working, they were great days.

Class 47 rests between duties.

post-5799-052700300 1284908968_thumb.jpg

See you soon Scott with the ARC's

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

I don't remember seeing the vans on the up working, but I used to get a ride home from Eastleigh now and then on the LE that worked from EH to Bournemouth. It was booked for a class 47 but I know I rode as far as Brockenhurst on a class 33 at least twice, one being a 33/2.

Oh sorry no 10p, got 10 cents though.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Kevin,

I don't remember seeing the vans on the up working, but I used to get a ride home from Eastleigh now and then on the LE that worked from EH to Bournemouth. It was booked for a class 47 but I know I rode as far as Brockenhurst on a class 33 at least twice, one being a 33/2.

Oh sorry no 10p, got 10 cents though.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, I was just wondering is the 10 cents about the same size as a 10p? Coz she looks desperate enough.

A nocturnal visitor to Leaford, looks like the driver is having a brew.

post-5799-009958500 1285225984_thumb.jpg

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin ,more great pics ..like the sleeper stock a great train to model, heres the sleeper ECS at Branksome 1988 ..

Hello yellowvanman, that is the first time that I have seen the Poole Sleeper without a Mk2 day coach, that is great news because with 4 coaches it is tight fit into Leafords plat- form - but with only 3 :) Many thanks for the picture.

I thought I would try it in model form.

post-5799-028127700 1285252213_thumb.jpg

Regards

Kevin

• Like 4

Hello yellowvanman, that is the first time that I have seen the Poole Sleeper without a Mk2 day coach, that is great news because with 4 coaches it is tight fit into Leafords plat- form - but with only 3 :) Many thanks for the picture.

I thought I would try it in model form.

post-5799-028127700 1285252213_thumb.jpg

Regards

Kevin

Fantastic!

It's a great feeling being able to replicate the real thing at the drop of a hat! Would love to see this layout in real life, but alas, a trip across the pond is not in the cards!

briantwigley wrote,

"That brings back some memories, being from dorset originally. Great pics.

Ryan"

Thankyou for that Ryan, I wonder do you ever return to this area?

Fantastic!

It's a great feeling being able to replicate the real thing at the drop of a hat! Would love to see this layout in real life, but alas, a trip across the pond is not in the cards!

You never know br-nse-fan, you would welcome to visit Leaford if you did.

Another nocturnal 37.

post-5799-016291700 1285313440_thumb.jpg

My regards

Kevin.

• Like 1

Many thanks Sean, posted below is a previous post from earlier on in this thread I hope that no body minds if I post it again - along with a couple of photos that are my personal favourites.

"My little Kodak Easyshare 813 is the very first camera that I have ever owned, and I have only had that for 18 months and that really is my only experience of photography, my misses taking all of our family/holiday photos over the years, here is a photo of my "lighting equipment" that I use.

post-5799-064073800 1285159346_thumb.jpg

The only 'photoshopping' that I use came with a £39.00 HP Photosmart C4480 combined printer/scanner/copier and is called HP Photosmart Essential 3.5 in which enables me to carry out limited cropping and lighting improvement, what I do is experiment with different camera angles, zoom settings in both normal and close up modes, and turn the room lights on and off, draw and undraw the curtains and use the lighting equipment pictured above, and take loads and loads of shots - most have to be sent to the recycle bin but every now and then I like to think a good one comes out".

Anybody got 10p?

post-5799-056652400 1285159443_thumb.jpg

A similar photo to one taken from a few pages back, O0OO (Alex) commented on.

A class 47 sets of for Eastleigh with a load of scrap.

post-5799-029686600 1285159629_thumb.jpg

Regards.

Kevin.

Thanks Kevin for your reply, If only I could obtain similar results!!!!!

Since seeing Leaford at Alton earlier this year you have inspired me to return to active modelling (having been an armchair modeller for the past 25 years!!). - I just need to pursuade the wife of the benefits of demolishing the garden to install a new 12 x 6 shed to use as a workshop and build the layout in!

Keep the photos and information coming. I enjoy reading your thread immensly.

Sean

Thanks Kevin for your reply, If only I could obtain similar results!!!!!

Since seeing Leaford at Alton earlier this year you have inspired me to return to active modelling (having been an armchair modeller for the past 25 years!!). - I just need to pursuade the wife of the benefits of demolishing the garden to install a new 12 x 6 shed to use as a workshop and build the layout in!

Keep the photos and information coming. I enjoy reading your thread immensly.

Sean

Thankyou for your kind comments Sean, I am pleased to have played my part in your return to active modelling, may I wish you good luck in the pursuasion of the misses - perhaps a meal in a local hostelry may just be helpful ;)

post-5799-039890600 1285777176_thumb.jpg

Regards Kevin.

• Like 3

Thankyou for your kind comments Sean, I am pleased to have played my part in your return to active modelling, may I wish you good luck in the pursuasion of the misses - perhaps a meal in a local hostelry may just be helpful ;)

post-5799-039890600 1285777176_thumb.jpg

Regards Kevin.

You never know!

However, I find from past experience that it is going to cost me a lot more!!!!!!! (usually involves me being dragged along by my wife and daughter on yet another boring shopping expedition for yet more clothes and shoes with me paying the bill and carrying the shopping bags!)

• 2 weeks later...

Great layout Kevin, enjoyed seeing it last night. Hope you are making a bit more progress now with RR&Co.

Thanks to your wife as well for the fish, chips and coffee to keep us playing at a reasonable speed.

TTG

My thanks Two Tone it is now all beginning to fit into place and you know you will always be welcome whenever you are able to make it.

Regards.

Kevin

Really enjoyable thread to read and view smile.gif

Will keep my eye on this, not a period I want to model currently but a period I appreciate as I was too young to remember pre-privatisation.

I do however remember the intercity coaches (sleepers too) and NSE slam-door trains when travelling with scouts to Scotland before all the liveries or trains changed.

He he doing well with RR&Co and has got some calibrated locos now which will allow his automated schedules to be more reliable.

Kevin, think about removing the points from blocks and back into routes as you will limit the flexibility of your running otherwise. Think of it this way. If a loco is at the far end of a block which has a point at the other end, as the block is occupied it locks the point out from use by routes allowing another train to use it.

Doing this will allow more of your schedules to run freely and not end up waiting for blocks to release. This will become more apparent when you get the parallel line to the main platform track circuited and you want to use the cross over at the end of the platform.

Have fun.

TTG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kevin

Just read the article about Leaford in Model Rail 150 and was interested to learn how you weather your loco's. It states that you paint the loco black then wipe it off. Just a couple of questions:

1. Do you paint whole loco all at once or do it in stages.

2. Which paint do you use ? is it acrylic or water based.

3. Do you varnish loco once weathered.

Thanks

Dave

Kevin

Just read the article about Leaford in Model Rail 150 and was interested to learn how you weather your loco's. It states that you paint the loco black then wipe it off. Just a couple of questions:

1. Do you paint whole loco all at once or do it in stages.

2. Which paint do you use ? is it acrylic or water based.

3. Do you varnish loco once weathered.

Thanks

Dave

Your answers are on page 8. ;)