Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

Did they have "pop-up" stores for Christmas again. Could be the stock working its way back to the main warehouse.

Possibly.

When Cardiff had a come-and-go shop they used to hold a closing-down sale every time it was about to vanish.

They might have sent back high-value items though...don't know.

I'm sure I would have noticed any Hornby locomotives at half price!

Well - I tried to order Hornby 12.5 and 14.0 mm. wheels.

It seems that any order in excess of one pack of each results in the message that the requested quantity is not available.

This hasn't changed my opinion that the company is a shambles !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I received 1pk of 12.5mm and 14.0mm wheels today from Hawkins. Sorry if I took the last ones.

I received 1pk of 12.5mm and 14.0mm wheels today from Hawkins. Sorry if I took the last ones.

Sorry to single you out scottrains29, but I'm getting really, really fed up of clicking on View New Content, seeing the Bargains thread listed and thinking that there might be something of interest posted only to find another comment from someone saying that they received such-and-such in the post or what a bargain they got but it's no longer available to anyone else.

Trust me, we (as readers of your post) are not interested, and it just ends up making it harder to find the posts of substance that might be relevant.

Thank you!

Guy

Sorry to single you out scottrains29, but I'm getting really, really fed up of clicking on View New Content, seeing the Bargains thread listed and thinking that there might be something of interest posted only to find another comment from someone saying that they received such-and-such in the post or what a bargain they got but it's no longer available to anyone else.

Trust me, we (as readers of your post) are not interested, and it just ends up making it harder to find the posts of substance that might be relevant.

Thank you!

Guy

Fair enough. It was really just to show the items were actually delivered. Many people have had their order from Hawkins cancelled, me included.

Back on topic, some of the sold out Hawkins Hornby stuff is actually cheaper at Hattons, eg the 2-HAL is currently £62.

Thank you!

Guy

Guy,

I can understand where you're coming from but at the same time, I personally find people posting what they got helpful as it gives you a good idea of what is there to be had. Yes you can say they can inform people about what's available without saying what they bought, but it's nice to see people posting their enjoyment at finding bargains, I think any one would be lying if they said they didn't love a bargain. It's a natural reaction IMO, a newly released B12 for £70 at a time when prices in the hobby are inflating is bloody brilliant!

• RMweb Premium

Thank you!

Guy

Maybe we need a "bargain hunted" thread?

(I won't mention the time I purchased a Dutch 31110 from Hobbycraft. It was marked as half price with a £49.99 tag. When I queried the price to confirm, the assistant scanned it and said "that'll be £25 please". I couldn't get out of the shop fast enough.....................)

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you!

Guy

Yep it's a tad irritating I must say.

I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before but the last time I bought cork underlay, I didn't buy the stuff that is sold for model railways. I was able to buy sheets 1 metre wide and 10 metres long and 4mm thick, for about £40/£50. 

Ok I am building a big layout which needs a lot of cork, but it was remarkably cheaper than buying cork specifically sold to modellers. 

By the way I found it on Ebay.

Rovex

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before but the last time I bought cork underlay, I didn't buy the stuff that is sold for model railways. I was able to buy sheets 1 metre wide and 10 metres long and 4mm thick, for about £40/£50.

Ok I am building a big layout which needs a lot of cork, but it was remarkably cheaper than buying cork specifically sold to modellers.

By the way I found it on Ebay.

Rovex

Ebay is one of the better places to source cork, offering a wide range of thicknesses. All of mine comes from there.

Roy

i think very carefully about posting things on here now as I was 're-aligned' for mentioning a good 'no-contract'  smartphone deal - which of course could be used as a JMRI enabled dcc controller, a 6MP camera at exhibitions (as well as a phone) just in case anyone was interested - its not often you get an unlocked 2GB 5.5" screen popular manufacturer phone sub £150.

And..... they were still available to boot!

I was advised that it wasn't a model railway bargain.

Some people you cant please at all. :cry:

• RMweb Gold

i think very carefully about posting things on here now as I was 're-aligned' for mentioning a good 'no-contract'  smartphone deal - which of course could be used as a JMRI enabled dcc controller, a 6MP camera at exhibitions (as well as a phone) just in case anyone was interested - its not often you get an unlocked 2GB 5.5" screen popular manufacturer phone sub £150.

And..... they were still available to boot!

I was advised that it wasn't a model railway bargain.

Some people you cant please at all. :cry:

I dont think that is a proper what i call model railway bargain.

But you have to draw the line somewhere, using your logic Tesco have a good deal on packs of canned drinks.

You can drink it while you read a railway magazine, or drink it while you model trains or drink it at model railway exhibitions !!

Does that constitute a model railway bargain?

You are correct you cant please everyone, but a bit of common sense works wonders with some.

But you have to draw the line somewhere, using your logic Tesco have a good deal on packs of canned drinks.

You can drink it while you read a railway magazine, or drink it while you model trains or drink it at model railway exhibitions !!

You are correct you cant please everyone, but a bit of common sense works wonders with some.

In the US they very often use full drink cans to weight down track while the adhesive dries  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we need a "bargain hunted" thread?

(I won't mention the time I purchased a Dutch 31110 from Hobbycraft. It was marked as half price with a £49.99 tag. When I queried the price to confirm, the assistant scanned it and said "that'll be £25 please". I couldn't get out of the shop fast enough.....................)

Cheers,

Mick

And you only bought one????

• RMweb Premium

In the US they very often use full drink cans to weight down track while the adhesive dries  :scratchhead:

If it's "Bud" - best use I've heard for it yet. It's certainly no good for drinking. :no:

However in the UK the way people over here drink there wouldn't be many full cans to use!

Those that were would be empty before the adhesive set :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Ebay is one of the better places to source cork, offering a wide range of thicknesses. All of mine comes from there.

Roy

If you don't need that much buy cork floor tiles.

Not so cheap but easy to get.

Keith

My bold (in the quote); and I think that it, as it follows what you have posted serves to qualify the rest of your post as being one of those 'never a truer word spoken in jest' circumstances :D

Edit to add Just received mail from Rails advising they have the 'Ex Set' triple grey Class 20 with sound on sale at £139.50 - now is that a Model Railway Bargain  or a Train Set Bargain?

• RMweb Gold

My bold (in the quote); and I think that it, as it follows what you have posted serves to qualify the rest of your post as being one of those 'never a truer word spoken in jest' circumstances :D

Edit to add Just received mail from Rails advising they have the 'Ex Set' triple grey Class 20 with sound on sale at £139.50 - now is that a Model Railway Bargain or a Train Set Bargain?

Hurrah, back to proper bargains at last lol ;-)

Edit.

Just had the same email. Also has split downs from shakespear pack and churchills funeral pack.

Some other bits and bobs but some seem to me to be fromother previous sales.

Edit to add Just received mail from Rails advising they have the 'Ex Set' triple grey Class 20 with sound on sale at £139.50 - now is that a Model Railway Bargain  or a Train Set Bargain?

Given this is a Loksound select (worth £40) rather than a Loksound V4 (worth £100) it's not such a bargain.

• RMweb Gold

Also in Rails' email is the Hornby VTEC HST set (R3390) with the TTS removed. This has been at £119 for a while, but it's gone down another tenner to £109 now (plus £2 delivery if you buy on eBay).

Been this price for a few days now admittedly, but I don't think it's been mentioned here.

Can't recall being able to buy a Hornby HST set delivered for £111 for a few years now.... Just trying to resist researching liveries that I don't already own, to avoid buying this set as a donor.....

Cheers

Rob

Also in Rails' email is the Hornby VTEC HST set (R3390) with the TTS removed. This has been at £119 for a while, but it's gone down another tenner to £109 now (plus £2 delivery if you buy on eBay).

Been this price for a few days now admittedly, but I don't think it's been mentioned here.

Can't recall being able to buy a Hornby HST set delivered for £111 for a few years now.... Just trying to resist researching liveries that I don't already own, to avoid buying this set as a donor.....

Cheers

Rob

Amazing bearing in mind Hornby will be trying to flog the GWR one for around the £300 mark!!

Archived