What loco would you own?

Quite a few people have the same view as me on this one.

First choice would have to be one of the lost NBL classes. D600 probably favourite.

Then either a highland 24 or LMS 10000.

For Irish it would have to be an 071 - awesome machines and none preserved yet, they're all still IE owned.

• RMweb Gold

I know, but I can't see it being sold and in reality is it the right loco for the SDR? Coal costs would be prohibitive for them to use it regularly as has been found with the 28xx

If I was them I would be far more concerned about track damage than coal costs - and nod through your purchasewink.gif

• RMweb Gold

I'd have a Midland/SDJR 483 (LMS 2P) 4-4-0. Problem is,as was the case in my 2mm world, I'd have to have two - a red one and a blue one! Wasn't there once talk about building a new 2P - it would be a perfect size loco for many preserved lines.

Jerry

I know, but I can't see it being sold and in reality is it the right loco for the SDR? Coal costs would be prohibitive for them to use it regularly as has been found with the 28xx

True, but you could return it to mainline condition, as we are in fantasy land, then do tours and visit other railways where it could properly stretch its legs. I quite like its present scruffy external condition. I might settle for the gas works Peckett for now.

More worryingly I am starting to become a tiny bit fond of Class 37's and Deltics...

Where Urie led, Stanier, --

JE

improved :yes:

The loco I would own would be a member of the most useful class to most heritage railways, hire it out so it can pay for itself, another Standard 2-6-4T.

• RMweb Gold

LNER C13 in lined BR black, auto fitted with a couple of ex GC coaches, wonder if they'd let me run it from Glossop to Manchester?

Brilliant choice, but could we run to a D10 original Director too? Or a J10?

Hardwicke, because it's one of the very few L&NWR locos still existing. A "typical" rake of L&NWR carriages in that lovely livery would look great with it.

Ironic that so many of Stanier's locos are preserved, when it was him that scrapped the L&NWR locos stored in Crewe.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Existing locos is easy - my favourite diesel/electric is still in existence; 73140. For steam it would be another vote for the sole remaining LBSCR E1 'Burgundy'.

If I could have any, it would have to be an ex-LBSCR K Class mogul; a truely beautiful locomotive and a travesty none survived. Runners up would be a C2X, I3, D1 or H2 Atlantic - preferably all :yes:

Not that I'm tribal or anything!

i know im gonna be the oddball here:

Hunslet Austerity Errol Lonsdale 196 repainted into LMR blue

Or

3803 in GWR green

And if it was a diesel a class 25 in two tone green perhaps D7612

Kristian

A man of taste! Apart from the rat.... A director would be nice too

Ironic that so many of Stanier's locos are preserved, when it was him that scrapped the L&NWR locos stored in Crewe.

Well said that man. :good:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Black Five was referred to during the design stage as the 'Improved Prince of Wales'.

• RMweb Premium

Steam: 46245 "City of London".

Diesel: D0280/1200 "Falcon" and a complete Blue Pullman set.

And "Western Invader", and...damn, I've run out of money.

I'll go halves with you on 46245 - but only if it stays in late BR maroon condition!

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me, or has that got a little bit of Clayton about it...?

No, it's not on fire...

I'll go halves with you on 46245 - but only if it stays in late BR maroon condition!

Done.

Actually, I didn't get round to any Isle of Wight stuff on my list. Most remiss.

This is difficult... how radical do we have to be ... how bold or practical. Ok.... I'm with LH for the Diesel... however, just pointing out that D9009, as nice as she still is... is Alycidon, not MELD that was lost in 1981(?) - (D)9003/55003. For me, it'd have to be the racehorse that I (clearly remember I) saw at Finsbury Park when just 8 years old - 55020 Nimbus. Easy

Steam... tricky. Very strong Southern preferences... Bulleid... Hmmm, 35028 Clan Line I think... and pulling enthusiast trains not just VSOE.

And maybe a Class 26... for those more practical runs :yes:

oops i like them both!! i ment 3 just couldn't decide which one :)

Archived