What loco would you own?

• RMweb Premium

46245 City of London in BR Maroon!

That's 3 of us want 46245 - do I detect the faintest stirrings of a new preservation society?

46256 would be nice too...........

• RMweb Premium

For me, it would have to be 50050 Fearless. If only for the fact it always put a massive grin on my face when i saw it as a kid, which wasn't too often, as my earliest railway related memory is watching (the second thing on my wish list) a pair of 76's on MGR's, from my bedroom window.

Happy Days! :yes:

Hi guys,

I've been at it again, thinking that is!

I have decided that the loco I would really like to have is an early 'Achilles' class single.

To me, it looks more elegant than the Stirling single.

Cheers, Jeff

• RMweb Premium

No, no and thrice no. Final BR condition - only clean!

Definitely - if 46229 hadn't been turned into a bathtub, I'd have been happy with her!

Not "final" BR condition mind - that 1964 yellow cab stripe was hideous!

Imagine for a moment the following scenario:

A 4-4-0 express loco built with all those aesthetic refinements by Samuel Johnson of Derby, rebuilt by the right-hand man of William Dean of Swindon, finished in ultramarine blue, black borders and vermilion lining.

Believe it or not, two of these fine machines once existed - the GER class C8 - the final locos built by Johnson before moving to Derby, rebuilt by Holden and withdrawn in the late 1890s.

For perfection, see here . That's what I'd own.

Just another couple of thoughts -

18100 in electric guise as it was one of the first electric locos on the railway I grew up close to (Manchester-Wilmslow via Styal) though of course long before my time,

Or 'Unique' from the SKLR - regauged to run on either the Metropolitan Water Board Railway at Kempton, Kew Bridge, or the Woolwich Arsenal Railway at Crosness as all three of those locations have a static steam supply.

So as not to have to fight over it wit the others, I will graciously not say 46245, even though that would be my steam choice

instead I'll make do with

Steam: French 241P 17 an amazing machine

and the other categories

Diesel: EE Class 50 - I'd need two unrefurbished

Electric: DB Class 103

regards

jgp

APT-E Install modern off the shelf tilt equipment and run it as a private franchise on the west coast. That would teach MR Branson a thing or two about high speed tilting trains :laugh:

Show him what exactly?!

I think it would have to be one of these:

Locomotive_CC-72084.jpg

(Wikipedia commons)

I've always had a soft spot for the SNCF CC72000s

The Nene Valley Railway like running continental stuff, and have the gauge clearance - I'd give 'em some proper traction!

Show him what exactly?!

Assuming that the OP will include BR First Class service et al, he'll presumably show Beardy that rail travel need not be as tacky, soulless, sterile, uncomfortable and have correspondingly poor food as is available on his airline/rail franchise?

Imagine the travelling public actually enjoying long distance railway travel - perish the thought!

My first choice would be the Leader of course (hence my name...) but I'd aslo like Type 73 73202. No disrespect to Dave Berry (after all it was his retirement) but I'd give it its original name back -Royal Observer Corps- which has a history with Southern Rail/Southern Region.

Then there is Remembrance -LB&SCR's 4-6-4T. A unique layout and quite fast, apparently.

Simon.

Looking at what was possible on the LNER forum recently, a further choice would be A2/2 Wolf of Badenoch - sharing parts with already built A1 Tornado and parts with the mooted P2s to be built, it would fill a gap in the story of the ECML and also in the development of the LNER Pacifics too. Plus, with a variety of liveries and reliable (but not necessarily outstanding performance), it could join the other 7Ps and 8Ps in providing traction for the mainline in the 21st century.

• RMweb Gold

I have a soft spot for 73202 myself as i used to see this loco nearly everyday go past my school with its bright blue background nameplates and i even have a photo of it i took at Gatwick Airport.

Anyway, my first choice will be a un-rebuilt SR West country and then a Austerity tank, although the latter i may be involved in restoring soon anyway after discussions during measuring one today!

Regards Robert

RT Models

My first choice would be the Leader of course (hence my name...) but I'd aslo like Type 73 73202. No disrespect to Dave Berry (after all it was his retirement) but I'd give it its original name back -Royal Observer Corps- which has a history with Southern Rail/Southern Region.

Then there is Remembrance -LB&SCR's 4-6-4T. A unique layout and quite fast, apparently.

Simon.

Archived