What loco would you own?

I know they were both scrapped, and would both be totally useless these days due to the lack of suitable overhead supply, but at the very least they would be nice to look at!

I would have either:

Original EM1, 26000 Tommy in final BR green livery. This loco should never have been scrapped and was definatly worthy of the national collection.

Or

Another EM1, 76 022 in final condition, BR blue with old BR logo. This was always my favourite!

For me, it would have to be 50050 Fearless. If only for the fact it always put a massive grin on my face when i saw it as a kid, which wasn't too often, as my earliest railway related memory is watching (the second thing on my wish list) a pair of 76's on MGR's, from my bedroom window.

Happy Days! :yes:

Last time I had a run behind 'Fearless' the old girl sat down at Hatfield Peveral with a blown oil cooler gasket. She dumped her oil everywhere.

• RMweb Premium

Green certainly on odd choice for a Hoover, especially as they were all originally banger blue, quite what green has to do with Elgar is anyones guess?

It was painted green, i.e pseudo GWR green, and renamed as part of the GWR150 celebrations. I have nothing against the green per se (although I prefer blue on a 50), it was the renaming I disliked. 50007 was assumed to have been chosen because the number is almost the reverse of the Castle Class 7005 which carried the same name. To rename it back to its proper name of Hercules and be authentic to its BR service, it has to lose the green too.

Then there is Remembrance -LB&SCR's 4-6-4T. A unique layout and quite fast, apparently.

Simon.

A man after my own heart - apparently a good loco wrecked by the SR when they were rebuilt into N15Xs in the mid-30s. But then what would you do with them once their main use was superceded by electification?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the biggest crimes of the 20th century on the railways in my mind was the scrapping of the three WW1 memorial locos, Patriot, Remembrace and Valour. Out of honour to those who gave their lives for us I would have them rebuilt (and the fact that all 3 were magnificent locos too)

If I had anything left over then a GSWR Robert Wightlegg 4-6-4T. What a stunning loco they were. Amazingly purely by chance I bumped into Robert Wightlegg's grandson at the GCR. We were talking about the forthcoming Heljan Beyer Garrett and he told me his connection. I think he was quite suprised to learn I was a hugh Whitelegg fan!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest nzflyer

I don't believe anyone has said a Great Western 1400 0-4-2T tank engine yet. In my opinion it is one of the nicest looking locomotives that came out of Swindon. Either that or a Terrier (with suitable rake of LBSCR four-wheelers behind) or even one of the Cambrian Railway 2-4-0 tank engines (after Swindonization). Might plan to have all three run on a future model railway.

Mine would be a double chimneyed Caprotti Clan running fast over a reopened Millers Dale viaduct and passing my other loco, a twin cab LNG fired 2-10-0+0-10-2 garrett based on two 9f's slogging along with a heavy aggregate train..............

As both "Russell" and the L&BR Manning Wardles are still with us in one form or another, the FR appears to be over-run with Fairlies of various descriptions and the Penryn Ladies are thriving, the various Colorado 2-8-2 classes are in service AND on the basis that money is no object, then I would go for one if the Colorado 3' gauge 2-6-0 or 2-8-0 classes

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Having been involved in preservation, there's no way I would want to own a loco in the real world. But in the fantasy world where it wouldn't be akin to setting fire to £50 notes, I'd have me an ATSF Alco PA-PB-PA set. In warbonnet, obviously.

And a USRA 0-6-0 switcher.

And an EMD E6. And...

• RMweb Premium

Money no object? Black Prince 9F

Common sense? J52 - the first loco to be preserved (now in the NRM) or maybe something along the lines of a J72.

Somewhere in the middle? Maybe something along the lines of a Jubilee....

Archived