What loco would you own?

Hi everyone.

This though just popped into my head recently: given the chance, what full-sized loco or unit would you own - regardless of whether it has been scrapped, preserved, static display or used everyday if it is modern traction.

So, what would you all own? I'll start the ball rolling with LNER B17 No. 2862 'Manchester United' because it combines two passions of mine, railways (especially the LNER) and Football.

Alright, over to you.

Matt.

• RMweb Premium

Steam: Bulleid Leader

Diesel: BRCW 'Lion' or Brush 'Kestrel'

Tornado style replica/new build projects for any of these would get my vote and maybe my financial support as well.

Does it have to be British?

First choice would be a Russki P36, second choice a Czech 475.1.

If I had to buy British, and avoiding those already taken, perhaps a Great Eastern T26 (LNER E4), though for some strange reason I have a "soft spot" for the Ivatt 4MT.

• RMweb Gold

A blue hymek.

It was really tempting to put a Blue followed by loads of returns and then have you all page down thinking the worst, though I would love a Blue Pullman if I was allowed a second choice.

I would probably purchase:

47853 From Rivera Trains - Give it a thorough overhaul and a good repaint, Then purchase all the remaining ex XP64 Coaches and create the XP64 Group...

Then, 47709 & 47712, Refurbish and repaint them into BR Scot Rail livery, and purchase a rake of mk2s & DBSOs - all given an overhaul and repaint into Scotrail’s intercity livery...

And maybe, West Coast Railway Co's privately owned 25, Repaint it either into two tone green or...LoadHaul ( Having once done a photoshopped picture, they do look good in LoadHaul!)

The Mainline all 3 in separate groups...

...Having said that, Still British, but not in England - 2 ex NIR 80 Class - One would go BR Blue Grey as a What If, the other would be preserved in original NIR livery...and both would be re-boiged with ex Southern Region unit motor bogies and B5s - Oh, and they both would gain refurbished Mk2 a's to recreate a 3 Car set.

So a fair few then! :D

• RMweb Premium

Diesel is easy: 33 109. I don't know why but I have a soft spot for this particular Crompton, and I'm glad it's still around.

Steam is less easy: It would be a Stroudley Terrier, but which one I honestly don't know ever since 72 'Fenchurch' was cosmetically converted to look more like an A1. I always preferred it in A1X form. A second place choice therefore would be 662 ('Martello') as that was the first (and currently only) steam loco I've ever actually driven.

It would have to be a Terrier.First choice would be Fenchurch , if not a repatriated Waddon.I'd also like to get the sole remaining E1 tank Burgundy back into Stroudley green and running on the Bluebell.

My lottery win loco would have to be the last surviving Ebbw Vale Steelworks shunter - a glorious 80 ton, 800 horsepower, 0-8-0 beast that lives up on the Pontypool & Blaenavon railway:

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/industrial-railways/bsc-ebbw-vale-locos.htm

I have a couple of OO examples built up from the excellent Judith Edge kits of this loco but would dearly love the real thing.

I'd have a LMS parallel boiler 'Royal Scot' built with eight Stanier corridor coaches and, in cooperation with Arriva, I'd run a Bangor-Manchester 'Club' train. With the money it raised, I'd have a faultless LMS Fowler 7F 0-8-0 built and lease it to whichever company wanted to work loose-coupled freight over Standedge! Then I'd............

Archived