What loco would you own?

• RMweb Gold

Having spent a lot of time working on and driving the things it would have to be St5 73096 and 34016 'Bodmin' for me.

Please.

Pretty please.

d9009 "meld"

4468 mallard

& 90001

This is difficult... how radical do we have to be ... how bold or practical. Ok.... I'm with LH for the Diesel... however, just pointing out that D9009, as nice as she still is... is Alycidon, not MELD that was lost in 1981(?) - (D)9003/55003. For me, it'd have to be the racehorse that I (clearly remember I) saw at Finsbury Park when just 8 years old - 55020 Nimbus. Easy

Steam... tricky. Very strong Southern preferences... Bulleid... Hmmm, 35028 Clan Line I think... and pulling enthusiast trains not just VSOE.

And maybe a Class 26... for those more practical runs :yes:

Existing - Any 'Peak', although preferably a class 45. Non-existent, a NBL D600, D6100 or D6300 retro build, or an EE class 23 built exactly to the original plans.

45015 would be a good, but expensive project if the loco still exists and money was no object.

If you posted that on another forum, you'd get the award for "troll of the year"...!!

Steam: I’ve always had a soft spot for Terrier 46 in her guise as W8 Freshwater … many happy memories riding behind her as a child.

Diesel: almost certainly a Duff of some flavour— always liked them

Electric: cheating somewhat, but having spent my childhood on 421s and LUL’s ‘A’ stock, one of each would be definitely go on my list. From further afield, an MX/A from Budapest (1138 in particular) would round off the collection nicely*…

* I’m already working on that last one… in 3.5mm form, anyway

I'd love to have a terrier! Whilst I couldn't steal Stepney from the Bluebell, I would perhaps have saved Morden/Brighton Works I suppose. Or maybe bring back Waddon to the UK!

The alternative would be a 4MT tank. Versatile, attractive locomotives that would be welcome on almost any preserved line, and perhaps a use on shorter mainline excursions. Of course I would want a support coach too! It would have to be 80154 as the last Brighton-built engine. I wouldn't keep it at the Bluebell though - because then they would never feel the need to restore 80100 or overhaul 80064!

I nearly bought a Bagnall fireless locomotive a few years back (Huntley & Palmers Number 1) so that'd be pretty near the top of the list, especially if a steam supply could be arranged.

Other candidates would be 3717 or 9017.

But as I'm a volunteer on a 'small engine' railway in GWR territory, probably a Pannier Tank.

Or, if I was to buy a diesel, probably 'Walrus' from Quainton Road - no practicality, but it'd complete the set!

Richard

Guest Max Stafford

Another one for Green Arrow, although I'd probably paint her black.

The other contender would be a Deutsche Reichsbahn BR 35.10

As a pure fantasy loco, it would probably be an A2/1!

Dave.

Dominion of Canada, and one of the roundhouse stalls that's near home, with a couple of mk 1 BSK's, and around 100 ton/month of coal to play with. I'd assume she'd fit in plate C, but the bridge would need work (darn'd city council...)

James on Vancouver Island

• RMweb Premium

Rather than duplicate what is already still with us I would (theoretically have) spent my money and time keeping D601 Ark Royal as first choice. Any "600" will do but that was the first one I was hauled by and the only one with a two-word name. If there had been just a little more money and enthusiasm we might still have had one with us ..................

Given unlimited options the electric of choice would be a full 8-car train of LT Q-stock incorporating as many different variants as possible from their origins as G, K and M classes not forgetting the CP-stock lookalikes from later years. Only one car survives (G, or Q23, stock, IIRC) with the other types not represented. An 8-car train can also demonstrate the lost art of coupling and uncoupling the "east end" units at Ealing Broadway while D601 rushes through on the main line!

Steam is more of a challenge for me as many types are already represented and I am less familiar with some of the earlier and smaller types. Out of sheer curiosity for what it might have achieved I'll nominate 36001, the only completed Bulleid "Leader", to fill the gap.

• RMweb Premium

Were I to come into a huge amount of money I would be love to have a Hall. There is just something about these locos. Finding somewhere to keep the loco and run it might be more problematic as the local lines are far better suited to tank locos. That said having it running on the main lines would be lovely.

Guest Belgian

30482 - the first "Chonker" and the first of what was to become the classic British Mixed Traffic type of locomotive: a 6' 4-6-0 with outside Walschearts valve gear. Where Urie led, Stanier, Thompson and Riddles followed (even Collett tried to follow, within GWR constraints). And I liked it in BR mixed traffic livery when I were a lad.

JE

First it'd have to be something ex NER.

probably a B16/1 4-6-0 in fully lined NER green along with a T1 4-8-0 hump shunter.

A recreation of the LNER U1 garratt might be interesting.

I'd quite like a Polish OL49 2-6-2 as well, they just look good somehow.

Mike

Diesel probably one of the big Hunslet Bo-Bo's that operate at Scunthorpe.

070610%20057%20corus%20Hunslet%20Bo-Bo%20No.%2071.jpg

I can understand that :) They're very impressive machines and seem to be able shift enormous loads when asked to do so - three loaded tanks single handed up the grade towards Ashby Ville Top is a great sight!

Personally I'd go for one of Scunny's Janus types - no 51 was always my favourite.

Industrial_Diesel_at_Corus_Scunthorpe.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Kris Dumbleton Hall is waiting for your lottery win, it already has a place to live and run.

I know, but I can't see it being sold and in reality is it the right loco for the SDR? Coal costs would be prohibitive for them to use it regularly as has been found with the 28xx

Archived