What loco would you own?

73110 Red Knight. Standard 5. All black with lining. Kept pristine and run regularly from Weymouth to Bournemouth with excursions to Yeovil. Me driving. Rent it out for other mainline excursions....

Just a million quid needed interest free.

This could work!

Send donations to........

• RMweb Premium

Always fancied getting my hands on a Southern Pacific tunnel motor although for a realistic look I would need at least three and maybe a Rio Grande one thrown in.

If I could just get an EMD delivery run to pick up a few and put them on the next boat to the UK to Southampton Docks, only trouble is they would probably make one hell of a mess of the platform canopies at Southampton Central before grinding to a halt!!

Always fancied getting my hands on a Southern Pacific tunnel motor
Now you're talking John.....And a North American flavoured preserved line based in the UK that would suck visitors from all those tiny Titfield outfits. I'll bring along me Pennsy J1 2-10-4 'War Baby'... ;)

Ironic that so many of Stanier's locos are preserved, when it was him that scrapped the L&NWR locos stored in Crewe.

Jol

Well said that man.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Black Five was referred to during the design stage as the 'Improved Prince of Wales'.

That'll be the same Stanier who - it is widely held - scrapped the last surviving broad gauge locos "to make space" at Swindon while GJC's back was turned?

Iconoclast. Perhaps we should melt down one of the superfluous class 5s, 8Fs or Duchesses to make one of the more interesting locos lost to posterity?B)

• RMweb Premium

If it had to be a loco, in the UK one of Bulleid's CCs - I always thought CC3 looked better, but either of the others would have been good. More topically, one of the RhB Ge4/4 I's [ sorry about the greengrocer's apostrophe, but I think it helps here :-( ]. But, I prefer a unit - a 4-CIG for preference, but the rolling front gangway of a 4-COR has its attractions - and yes, I did contribute a little to the "preserved" Southern Electric 4-COR which seems to have gone approximately nowhere in the 35 years I was away from the hobby.

Of course, the problem with electrics is that they need the juice - itÅ› good to see various CEPs and so forth running on battery power from MLVs, but it's not the same.

ĸen<br><br>[ edit: corrected accented s to apostrophe s - damn this ubuntu keymap with dead keys! ]<br>

• RMweb Premium

An LMS 2P - 40602 was the first loco I ever had a cab ride on.

Of real locos, I'd love to own 71000 so that when I die and meet up with my dad's cousin who hated the loco with a great loathing, I could tell him how good it is now....

Given the all encompassing remit of the original post, It would have to be a recreation of something that no longer exists. Sadly diesels and electrics do not elicit much in the way of an emotional response from me so it would have to be steam. Candidates would be

NER Raven Class Z Atlantic

NER Fletcher BTP 0-4-4T

GWR The Great Bear

BR Riddles 9F with Crosti Boiler!

I'm a sucker for oddments! And I almost went for this...

b15_uniflow.jpg

Class S2 (LNER B15) No. 825 with "Stumpf Uniflow" cylinders! She's a beauty, is she not?

Pushed for a decision and armed with copious wonga from a lottery roll-over it would be the Raven Atlantic, what a handsome beast they were.

A couple of IOW version 02s to supplement Calbourne on the IOW steam railway, probably Chale and Brading.

10000/10001 and the prototype Deltic. Getting those 3 on the mainline would certainly draw the punters....

Next up, the LYR radial tank and the Stanier 3 cylinder 2-6-4T liberated from York.

A 2 cylinder Stanier 2-6-4 tank would have to be built as well, In my eyes the most hansdsome of tank engines.

JF

• RMweb Gold

A couple of IOW version 02s to supplement Calbourne on the IOW steam railway, probably Chale and Brading...

That's one I should have had on my list too Jon. I'd love to see a replica of Chale in her final condition with Drummond boiler, if only to correct history. As for a second IoW replica, I'd go for an E1 in final guise as no.4 Wroxall.

Oh how the older members of the Isle Of Wight steam railway must be kicking themselves, they were offered 31 at the same time as they bought Calbourne, but turned it down because of insufficient funds.

Given the all encompassing remit of the original post, It would have to be a recreation of something that no longer exists. Sadly diesels and electrics do not elicit much in the way of an emotional response from me so it would have to be steam. Candidates would be

NER Raven Class Z Atlantic

NER Fletcher BTP 0-4-4T

GWR The Great Bear

BR Riddles 9F with Crosti Boiler!

Class S2 (LNER B15) No. 825 with "Stumpf Uniflow" cylinders! She's a beauty, is she not?

Pushed for a decision and armed with copious wonga from a lottery roll-over it would be the Raven Atlantic, what a handsome beast they were.

I'd also add an exGC,LNER class S1 with booster, to that list. But must admit I prefer the 'Crusti' in it's final conventional running state.

Sorry, I just meant in terms of looks. Nice looking bit of kit actually!

The Bo-Bo diesel is one of the Hunslet products. I think that it would make an interesting addition to most railways if you kept the radio control. It's my toy train! You could give members of the public a commentry as to what you were doing. Or even use it on propelling moves where as a driver you sit in the front vehicle.

Or even use it on propelling moves where as a driver you sit in the front vehicle.

Nooooo!

You can't go to far away or it might not work! There are a few dodgy parts of he works where radio control contact is difficult. So in such areas drivers tend to stay close.

But drivers do stand on tanks, furthest from the loco, when propelling at Scunthorpe. The first time you see a loco, apparently, moving on its own is rather unnerving!

Archived