New 20T Brake Van

Rick_Skateboard

There is a photograph of the Railfreight red and grey version in the August 2011 Rail Express Modeller.

Have to give Hornby credit where it's due, it looks to have roller bearings and Oleo buffers, not to mention the pipe runs for the brake conversion.

Have to give Hornby credit where it's due, it looks to have roller bearings and Oleo buffers, not to mention the pipe runs for the brake conversion.

Does it look like a tenner's-worth over the current Bacchie though? (Hoping the answer's gonna be an emphatic 'NO', having bought two of them recently).

Does it look like a tenner's-worth over the current Bacchie though? (Hoping the answer's gonna be an emphatic 'NO', having bought two of them recently).

The difference isnt a tenner now Ryan, there's been a couple of recent mentions that Hornby have reduced the prices (of this and the tippler); RRP is now £13.99 IIRC and Hattons are listing them for pre-order at 12 quid. Whether you think the extra is worth it for the better handrails is a moot point, but it's certainly narrowed the gap, and where the later versions are concerned, I'd say it probably is worthwhile, to save the aggro of changing the buffers and axleboxes as well.

That said, Bachmann's forthcoming SR brake will retail at £12.40 and will surely have wire handrails, and the men from Barwell could easily decide to similarly upgrade the BR van and knock it out at a quid or two more than it is now...

• Like 1

£6 difference on hattons which probably is worth it (£2 buffers, £2 axleboxes + time).

For a bog standard BR brake transition era modeller it needs working brakes and stove to bother buying one over the Bachmann though which is still why i'm miffed they didn't do a better LMS one.

I don't think they had a sample at DEMU as I would have looked closely at the inner end windows and the handrails, the two bits they could improve on the Bachmann.

• Like 1

I don't think they had a sample at DEMU as I would have looked closely at the inner end windows and the handrails, the two bits they could improve on the Bachmann.

They did actually Craig although I was too busy getting excited by the Trout and forgot to give the brake van a good looking at.

Cheers

David

They did actually Craig although I was too busy getting excited by the Trout and forgot to give the brake van a good looking at.

Cheers

David

Ah ok, i'd looked back at the thread hoping someone had taken photos as I couldn't remember. Tbh I wasn't really in a fit state from the night before and Simon Kohler was being bothered by an annoying child at the time so I moved along quickly..

I'd rather hope it did have sprung buffers for the price.

Thanks for the heads up Ian and Craig. What I don't like about the Bachmann model is the glazing and the thickness of the running board brackets (both of which I left alone). The roof is also too thick so I thinned it down and the replaced the rain strips.

Ah ok, i'd looked back at the thread hoping someone had taken photos as I couldn't remember. Tbh I wasn't really in a fit state from the night before and Simon Kohler was being bothered by an annoying child at the time so I moved along quickly..

I'd rather hope it did have sprung buffers for the price.

Photographic evidence of Craig looking worse for wear can be provided at special request! :devil:

• 4 weeks later...

The photo on Rails of makes these look nice.

Am I correct in that B951410 is an unfitted diagram 1/504, and will be completely absent of any type of piping?

It is a pity no one has given a link to the Rails picture because I couldn't find it last night.

No, these diagram 504s were vacuum piped see http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504. Therefore freight stock red when new.

Paul Bartlett

It is a pity no one has given a link to the Rails picture because I couldn't find it last night.

No, these diagram 504s were vacuum piped see http://paulbartlett....m/brbrakevan504. Therefore freight stock red when new.

Paul Bartlett

Try this Paul

http://railsofsheffi...%2018-08-11.jpg

First glance looks interesting...

Now stick a Bradwell underframe beneath it maybe?

Mind if one is that way inclined :jester:

• Like 2

… the inner end windows and the handrails, the two bits they could improve on the Bachmann.

Comparing similar images of both, I don't think that Hornby has succeeded in improving on those areas, although to my untrained eye it looks every bit as good and possibly has finer gaps between the body planking… a feature of the Bachmann that bugs me slightly.

Try this Paul

http://railsofsheffi...%2018-08-11.jpg

First glance looks interesting...

Now stick a Bradwell underframe beneath it maybe?

Mind if one is that way inclined :jester:

Thanks very much, I still don't understand why I couldn't find it - I did try a number of routes. Very nice photograph, far better than usually appear on these trade sites.

Very early, as built livery. The regional allocation marking doesn't seem to have lasted too long.

So roller bearings Wrong!

The one mentioned on Modelfair site as DB954032 Prototype here http://PaulBartlett....an506/e2d4ccaa4 the body has been extensively rebuilt and the model has plain bearings - Wrong!

It looks like Hornby have done two underframes and then mixed them up! Swopping over might work - but they are from very different eras, so shouldn't be used together in the finishes given.

They also appear to have used a lot of my photos in the past, I've never had any contact with them, so don't blame me for their co%k ups :nono:

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It seems that the green version has some nicely moulded OLEOs which would go better with the roller bearings, though (if accurate) might have been a retro-fit for spindle buffers I suppose, the more likely explanation is a confusion on the part of Hornby or their contractors...

Adam

I understand the first of these vans to have Hydraulic buffers have the early 'square' Dowty's (like the BR single bolster wagons) I've been shown three different photos of the same batch of vans with these buffers on but I can't remember if they had roller bearings or not. The next batches had the round Dowty buffer at 1'81/2'' with instanter couplings and then 2'01/2'' buffers with screw couplings. The reason I say this is I've just done the first cast of these and the Oleo pneumatic buffers for release next week. I'd planned on doing one of my vans with the square Dowty's but the axlebox question is bugging me. :scratchhead:

Regards,

Dave Franks