Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Hi Scott,

Looking good,B) hope all goes well Friday. Glad to see 33108 back in use again. I am pretty sure it was 33108 that was keeped around Eastleigh for a while doing local trips and being used as a depot shunter, useful as it saved us lifting and dropping buckeyes. The loco had an intermittent fault and seemed to fail once it got to far from home. :unsure:

Steel wagons look good, maybe try Modelmaster transfers they do wagon transfers.

Cheers Peter.

A Grid on BAAs/BBAs, now that is right up my street! They are lovely wagons those and the Cambrian kits are really nice too. I have 24 BBAs waiting for their bogies to be assembled, stored in the cupboard for the past year and of course Bachmann are releasing them soon. Typical but hey…..I am still undecided as to whether to continue with the kits or buy Bachmann ones!

The transfers you need are from Modelmaster as Peter said, I believe sheet 4866.

Hope that helps.

Morning gents,

Thanks for the transfer info, I shall take a look.

24 wagons Grimley! How much would that cost to replace with Bachmann ones, do the bogies... lol

Peter thanks for the info of 108, its the sort of thing I was planning on doing with it. depot dogs body....

Cheers

Scott

I've done as much as I can now before the visit tomorrow (oh my god is that the time...) Fiddle yard is complete. Track given a bit of a clean and locos wheels cleaned too (sort of)

Hopefully the layout doesn't let me down tomorrow.

The yard is empty, ready for the days workings..

post-6849-0-74186500-1296777980_thumb.jpg

Let the games begin!

• RMweb Premium

Just returned from a day out by the lineside at Bocott where a pleasant day was had by all with the layout behaving itself much to Scott's satisfaction!

One or two pictures are attached of an Exford based loco that is temporarily outbased at Bocott.

post-6922-0-26160400-1296842815_thumb.jpg

'Vanguard' is flanked by two of Bocott's finest having worked in LE.

post-6922-0-47118800-1296842891_thumb.jpg

View from behind the shed.

post-6922-0-45978100-1296842960_thumb.jpg

Later in the afternoon and 50024 is put to work on a lightly loaded spoil train seen heading past Eastbury sidings towards the new Bocott station.;)

Other visitors were spotted but as usual the camera work wasn't good enough!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the day Scott.

Glad you enjoyed it Ian, I have a couple of photos that I will upload tomorrow... The 50 looks at home don't you think?

For those interested, Ian's comment about the new Bocott station refers to a discussion today about moving it to the fiddle yard entrance in the opposite corener to where it is now. This will give a bigger approach with 4 lines and 2 possibly 3 platforms... This is a way off yet but the planners are looking into it.

Kevins suggestions was to extend the sticky out bit (from here on in known as SOB) by a couple of feet which would give more length for a terminus, allowing loco hauled passenger services to arrive...

The layout did behave itself for most of the day, there were a couple of issues with points in the fiddle yard but they were easily rectified using Ian's nail technique!

Overall a good day was had, and as I said to the guests at the time, it was nice to see others "playing trains" on my layout.

Cheers

Scott

Don't worry Kevin, no harm done. It just added to the fun of the day. I'm guessing it was the CV's then with the 47...?

Here are a couple more photos of visiting stock.

Leaford - Whatley empties hauled by a rare loco, never before seen down these parts.. If it was loaded I don't think the 73 would have managed.

post-6849-0-56258600-1296908894_thumb.jpg

37671 awaits the shunters approval before heading off to Exford with a speedlink/enterprise working.

post-6849-0-39218700-1296908878_thumb.jpg

News has it that a 73 may be on the cards to work the Bocott - Bristol TM parcels service in the near future... Watch this space..

Cheers for now

Scott

Thanks for your comments Leon and a good question Leon, as certain locos went over a couple of points in the fiddle yard they would stop completely, I cleaned the blades but it didn't cure the issue. Ian suggested that the point may not be dead flat, a gentle push in the middle of the point did show a bit of movement. The answer was quite simply to tap a track pin (No idea why i said nail!) in the centre of the point to hold it down and hey presto no problems anymore. Very simple but I had been thinking it was the blades and a dodgy connection somewhere and would probably have replaced the point. I could kick myself. :D

The beauty of a fresh pair of eyes.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

Looks like you had a good day B)

Great pictures, the poor 73 having to have to use it's diesel engine as there is no juice rail, no wonder she was struggling :D ;)

Good updates keep them coming,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi,

What did you use to weather your track? Looks great, and liking the class 70, its rapidly growing on me :) just got some in stock at the shop I work at - Buffers model railways, so I may have to get one soon, also where did you get your containers, im slowly buying more and more every now and then but still need a few more.

James

Thanks for your comments Leon and a good question Leon, as certain locos went over a couple of points in the fiddle yard they would stop completely, I cleaned the blades but it didn't cure the issue. Ian suggested that the point may not be dead flat, a gentle push in the middle of the point did show a bit of movement. The answer was quite simply to tap a track pin (No idea why i said nail!) in the centre of the point to hold it down and hey presto no problems anymore. Very simple but I had been thinking it was the blades and a dodgy connection somewhere and would probably have replaced the point. I could kick myself. :D

The beauty of a fresh pair of eyes.

Cheers

Scott

I have one or two dodgy points which I thought was dodgy electrics or paint on the blade, I will try Ian's method. Anyway Scott Im looking forward to your next progress and pics.

Hi all, thanks for your interest and comments, I will try and answer the questions raised..

The track in the main yard is just sprayed with Railmatch sleeper grime, the main lines are as yet untreated and the depot area is quite simply Mig powders (black) brushed in with a stiff paint brush, I thenuse Railmatch weathered black paint on top of that in areas to represent wet oil spillages, which seems to work ok for me.

The 70 is a nice model and completely out of place on my layout which is why it is back in its box, I do plan on making a portable layout at some point to incorporate the 70. The main containers at track level are the Bachmann inter modal ones off of teh wagons, the containers on top of the retaining wall are just printouts off the computer. they are the same size as the Bachmann ones so all I have done is cut them out and stick them to foam board. It was only a quick trial and they seem to have come out ok..

Lewis, the operational interest compared to the original Bocott is obviously a lot better, this layout is quite big compared to that one. The good thing about it is that If I'm on my own,which is normally the case, I can have trains running on the main lines whilst I shunt the yard or play musical locos in the depot. I'm definately the happiest I have been with the layout, as I'm sure you have read, the journey to this point has been a varied and frustrating one..

Leon, it's worth a try.. I also clean the inside of the blades with a cotton bud soaked in at the moment airbrush cleaner but I have just received some IPA so I will try that. You will be amazed at the dirt that comes off.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read my ramblings...

Scott

Hi Scott

Glad to hear your enjoying your layout,it can be quite a challenge to get a layout that your pleased with and operates well at the same time. Ive just seen that Hattons have 70006 in stock. How does the Bachmann 70 compare in terms of operation quality compared to the Hornby class 60 you have?

Regards

Lewis

To be honest Lewis I haven't given the 70 much of a run, but first impression are that it runs smoothly at various speeds, much like the 60 I suppose. The thing that bugs me about the 60 is the couplings, it seems to enjoy derailing wagons when hauling. I wouldn't have a problem with buying another 70, put it that way.

Thanks, Im considering buying a 70 but want to get an idea of how they perform compared to other locos I operate, the Hornby 60 being the most numerous. For improving the class 60 coupling issues, have a quick look on Caueway Junctions website as that has a page on some minor modifications to prevent derailing wagons ;) .

Regards

Lewis

Hi Scott, can I ask where did you get the prints of the containers, which site? I have a space between warehouses that needs filling and until I can afford 20 or so containers the prints will work fine. Hope to get into my atic later this evening, DIY day today .....angry.gif Ps those new steel wagons were a bargin and look great with the covered ones in the siding...Im still waiting to get my first, Hurry up Bachmann ! Otherwise I will be sending my two steel locos out on coal and oil trains......or worse still transferred.....to the box..lol

Kind Regards

Leon

Archived