Hornby Horseboxes

Ed-farms

Brossard, I do believe you're right about the body being the wrong way round - how depressing! You say it's possible to reverse it, but won't you also have to move all the footboards?

Hmmm you may be right, never thought of that. Here's me thinking I am so clever. Will check into it. The step details are all separate pieces and secured with weak glue so it may not be too difficult to correct.

John

Point of information: PMP's model is of a different diagram [N12?] to that modelled by Hornby [N16]. The principal differences are that the N16 has flat ends and no turnunder and that the gas cylinders are on opposite sides.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The problem with Tatlow's NPCS volume is that there is no N16 diagram, no N16 picture (apart from a little of 641) and the number sequence is incomplete!

Not a good starting point for a reference I would have thought.

Also the restored example in the link: http://www.gwsr.com/gwr-175/on-the-running-line/gwr-rolling-stock.aspx does not match the photos in Russell as regards painting detail. (GWR condition only!)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Also the restored example in the link: http://www.gwsr.com/gwr-175/on-the-running-line/gwr-rolling-stock.aspx does not match the photos in Russell as regards painting detail. (GWR condition only!)

Keith

I would have thought an exhibit in Steam musuem would have the correct livery which is what Hornby have copied.It has brown ends in the photo.

I would have thought an exhibit in Steam musuem would have the correct livery which is what Hornby have copied.It has brown ends in the photo.

As far as I know, there's no GWR horsebox in Steam museum (Swindon). The vehicle you're linking to appears to be on a preserved railway.

Preserved vehicles, even those in museums, are not necessarily reliable indicators of original livery, unless they have never been repainted.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know, there's no GWR horsebox in Steam museum (Swindon). The vehicle you're linking to appears to be on a preserved railway.

Preserved vehicles, even those in museums, are not necessarily reliable indicators of original livery, unless they have never been repainted.

CHRIS LEIGH

You're right but it was there once before Chris ,as stated in the photo taken by Mike Pember [bottom Right].

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned earlier in this topic there are two photos in Russells GWR Coach Appendix Vol.2 showing full face and threequarter views of No. 546 (as modelled by Hornby) in ex-works GWR condition and the painting of the preserved example does not match it as regards end colour, some of the iron work and position of roundel. Therefore the preserved example should not have been used as a guide unless Hornby are showing it in preservation! AFAIK 546 is not preserved.

Keith

• Like 1

STEAM will have showed it for the opportunity to have a horse box on show and might not have been completely pedantic in checking the livery. The NRM has also hosted some dubious liveries.

The GWR page I linked to did have the name of the owner and notes about following pictures and drawings so an email might clear up which photos were used for the paint job..

I have just ordered a set of four GWR liveried Horseboxes for St Cuthbert's (to join some horsebox kits and an old Lima horsebox model awaiting "improvements"). I've been following this thread with some interest as I will need (at very least) to renumber at least two of the four models. So all posts regarding livery, underframe gubbins etc. etc. have been very timely indeed.

I wonder if Hornby would sell the underframe (which looks very nice) separately, as this might be a fast way to upgrade the Lima model.

F

p.s. if you really want to get pedantic, you could spend time on specifying what sort of horse should be carried in such wagons.... (no to Dobbin, yes to RedRum?)

The fastest way is to speak to those genial chaps at Parkside, and ask for a chassis kit for their N13 kit (PC79), letting them know its for the Lima model. Here's one I dun earlier (2009), a very simple conversion, the roof vents I got wrong and they've been changed, but its a fast, cheap way to a good quality model!

So what diagram is the Lima model based on please? I have 2 Hornby 'boxes on order, N16?, a Parkside kit, N13?, and two Lima examples partly detailed years ago.

Cheers, Peter C.

Lima = Dia N16 IIRC

The one in your photo has straight ends with no tumblehome so it is N16, but note that as chrisf pointed out in #57 above, unlike the earlier diagrams N16 has the gas and vacuum cylinders on opposite sides. Some modification of the Parkside chassis will be needed to get this right.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

So what diagram is the Lima model based on please?

Cheers, Peter C.

Not only is it a also N16, in fact in GWR livery it is the very same number 546 as Hornby have picked for one of their GWR liveried versions!

To me it suggests it is meant to be a re-tool rather than a completely new model, although it doesn't look like a re-work of the Lima one.

Keith

...To me it suggests it is meant to be a re-tool rather than a completely new model...

The existence of good photos and drawings of this particular vehicle in Russell's books is surely sufficient explanation? Though I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "re-tool" here. Are there any parts of the two models in common?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Not whatsoever Nick. The new Hornby model is a, erm ... new model ;)

I don't want to start a rumour mill ;) but maybe the siphon g will be too as it would have been out by now if it was old tooling perhaps.Fingers crossed .

• RMweb Premium

It just seems odd that they should use the same diagram (N16) and number (546) as the Lima and notwithstanding the Russell pictures get it wrong, livery wise!

I wasn't suggesting that it was anything other than new tooling but it gives the impression otherwise.

Personally I think Hornby should have done an earlier diagram, unless there were insufficient survivors for a BR version.

Keith

I'm inclined to agree, Keith. The earlier N12-N15 are all very similar to each other and would have given the possibility of a third livery variation. Although some certainly survived into BR ownership, I've no idea how many. Still, we do have the Parkside N13 kit and the 51L N6 kit :rolleyes:

Nick

Its possible Hornby inherited a portfolio on the N16 when they bought Lima. The preserved one would have helped too..

Perhaps somebody would be kind enough to summarise (agian...) the diagrams of the Lima, Hornby and Parkside models, their number series and key differences between them?

Many thanks,

Bill