Stubby47's Garage Layout - Trelothen

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased to say a really positive start has been made.

I've bought another Class 22, D6311, sheded at Laira over 1963, so in my chosen period and quite possibly used in the Newquay/Padstow area.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Except I appear to have ordered a Class 21 D6111, not the Class 22 D6311 I thought I had.

Not happy with myself...

Big shout out to Cheltenham Model Centre for being kind enough to cancel my order. 

Much appreciated. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Except I appear to have ordered a Class 21 D6111, not the Class 22 D6311 I thought I had.

Not happy with myself...

Why not be happy if you have a GER based loco not a GWR one.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Today's haul :) :clapping:

27671935_20210704_1115052.jpg.c0cb80c33a04285ce632302b13bb9f27.jpg

Warflat, Fish van, micrometer & chocolate. 

I'll have the Dark Collection, thanks. You can keep the rest.

Oh, and being pedantic, it's a Verynear gauge, not a micrometer.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Today's haul :) :clapping:

27671935_20210704_1115052.jpg.c0cb80c33a04285ce632302b13bb9f27.jpg

Warflat, Fish van, micrometer & chocolate. 

If you don't mind my saying, you have very strange eating habits in Cornwall...

OK so you've got a meat course, and a fish course, and dessert, but how do you eat with calipers?

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

If you don't mind my saying, you have very strange eating habits in Cornwall...

OK so you've got a meat course, and a fish course, and dessert, but how do you eat with calipers?

Al.

Similar to how you'd use chopsticks.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

With such a long line down to the yard, and not intending to run any more than 5 wagons in a train, I can see a reason to minimise the incline to the platform in favour of a steeper one to the yard.

The long siding to the factory can also rise slightly, just to vary the track levels.

The oil & goods shed locations might be swapped over, depending on actual space available and a viable road access. The oil of course is for the fishing fleet, I just need to source a suitably liveried tanker.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With such a long line down to the yard, and not intending to run any more than 5 wagons in a train, I can see a reason to minimise the incline to the platform in favour of a steeper one to the yard.

The long siding to the factory can also rise slightly, just to vary the track levels.

The oil & goods shed locations might be swapped over, depending on actual space available and a viable road access. The oil of course is for the fishing fleet, I just need to source a suitability liveried tanker.

Can you move the point for the long siding to the left so that there's room to shunt more wagons at a time or is that what CJF used to call an intentional snarl?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting development.  I hope it’s Ok to make a couple of suggestions.  This version of the plan is ‘busier’ so making sure it all fits and looks as you’d like as well as offering more detailed operation becomes the challenge:

B54697C9-2EC7-4B44-9C71-4D7173DC7CB5.jpeg.294e145aaca648214f27eb43c24f2e49.jpeg

To me, the buildings all look very small now - I’d suggest a cardboard mock up of each one might help check they’re still workable.  The red building is very near the running line: is there enough clearance behind it?  Road access for the blue building is a second question to consider: why is it where it is?  I think the green one may be a loading dock, in which case the same question arises.  One way to test an idea like this is a 1/12th card scale model of the proposed layout to check clearances, elevations and fit.  Might be worth it in this case.  Just a thought.  Hope that’s OK.  Keith.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith many thanks for your thoughts.

Firstly the track plan is a theory, so clearances will be determined on site.

The factory (red) is/will be close to the rear line, this is deliberate so it can act as a view blocker to the FY exit. Road access will be from the right (or the left...). The factory itself will be larger than the 'box' shown - currently it's being developed as a kit from my design by a local firm.

The oil (blue) is not for the town but for the fishing fleet, so pipes will run along the wall splitting the two levels, disappearing underground as necessary. It's also placed some way from the town for safety.

The Fish Dock (green) is the least planned area. I need to study Padstow & Polperro to see how the fish was moved from boat to shed, but one idea is a narrow gauge hand cart line, pushed across the road from the right.

@St Enodoc If you mean the point within the loop could be moved to give a longer headhunt, again the actual dimensions are fairly fluid at the moment. As I'm also planning a 1ft extension to the right ( exhibition configuration) , for a harbour scene, so when the extension is not in use ( home configuration) I could use a Fiddle Stick instead.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As for the buildings, as I mentioned the factory is in progress, but the oil depot and fish dock will be built alongside the track planning, to ensure they fit in the space but are also big enough to be believable. 

I'm still pondering how to ensure a smooth transition from town/goods yard (rh board) to countryside (lh board), without an obvious split in the scenery.  Whilst I'd like some green fields, I might end up with rows of houses instead. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

You could simplify the trackwork a bit by combining the low level run round loop with the run to the factory. That would make the line along the front of the layout more active. That might also allow the gradient down to the quay level to be longer, depending on where you take off the connection to the loop and the quay. (It could be quite far right if you're thinking about using a fiddle stick.)

Something like this sketch:

1358560641_Stubby47Garage2.png.54e57397e69359fef732b76c4aa501ac.png

Green is the (only?) gradient. I haven't used real Streamline templates, just judged it by eye. The curves on the right echoing each other is a nice bonus.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Stu

If your fuelpipe run is (meant to be) of any length, don't forget to include

expansion loops. A bit like squared off omega loops. There used to be

a number where the pipework ran from Avonmouth Docks, to ICI

Severnside, alongside the Severn Beach line.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Stu,

You could simplify the trackwork a bit by combining the low level run round loop with the run to the factory. That would make the line along the front of the layout more active. That might also allow the gradient down to the quay level to be longer, depending on where you take off the connection to the loop and the quay. (It could be quite far right if you're thinking about using a fiddle stick.)

Something like this sketch:

1358560641_Stubby47Garage2.png.54e57397e69359fef732b76c4aa501ac.png

Green is the (only?) gradient. I haven't used real Streamline templates, just judged it by eye. The curves on the right echoing each other is a nice bonus.

Hi Phil,

I've had a think and with all respect will reject your suggestion.

Reasons include the loss of the Fish Dock, or if placed makes it very difficult to shunt to, plus the need to keep the long siding to the factory as a 'separate' area for operation. The front line, as is, will have a kick-back to the goods, but also can have spots for wagons to be left, even if temporarily, which would complicate shunting.  I also quite like the idea of a steepish line up from the yard, another reason to limit train length.

The only change I still need to make to my plan is the inclusion of somewhere for the station pilot - either a Ruston or small Peckett.  This could come off the long siding to the factory , but on the r/h board...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

I've had a think and with all respect will reject your suggestion.

Reasons include the loss of the Fish Dock, or if placed makes it very difficult to shunt to, plus the need to keep the long siding to the factory as a 'separate' area for operation. The front line, as is, will have a kick-back to the goods, but also can have spots for wagons to be left, even if temporarily, which would complicate shunting.  I also quite like the idea of a steepish line up from the yard, another reason to limit train length.

The only change I still need to make to my plan is the inclusion of somewhere for the station pilot - either a Ruston or small Peckett.  This could come off the long siding to the factory , but on the r/h board...

Fair enough but:

• The fish dock could be connected in a few places but it makes more sense on the sea side of the through-line, close to the quayside, doesn't it?
  • The gradient can still be steep if you want - making it longer just means you'd get more elevation, which might be more dramatic.
  • The oil siding could still be inserted on the inland side of the through line, maybe slightly behind the gradient for added interest.
  • The kickback goods is present and spots can be designated for vans and wagons to be left all along the frontmost line if required.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I see where you've assumed the front line is the quay.  It's not.  The quay is beyond the right had side end of the layout.

The red line represents the end of the layout, without the extension for the quay.

trackplan2.png.3ba9be08757fe3da45714e53247930f3.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Ah, I see where you've assumed the front line is the quay.  It's not.  The quay is beyond the right had side end of the layout.

The red line represents the end of the layout, without the extension for the quay.

trackplan2.png.3ba9be08757fe3da45714e53247930f3.png

Yes, guilty as charged. You've explained that before but for some reason it didn't click with me.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

1287214914_20210704_1110584.jpg.2fa979c734b1de74ecd58abfd35c00f9.jpg

The junction with the Par/Newquay branch might be a triangle, to allow direct connections both ways, but as that's off scene I'm not overly worried.

If that junction were west of St Dennis Junction, you could imagine Trelothen as a North Coast china-clay port.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1