Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

A few pictures of my revolving-bunker early BR version 47995, without editing, except background. Right hand side only so far. Looks alright to me. I look forward to doing more pics... and I notice that the return cranks on each set of Walschaert's valve gear are correct. Will remove pony truck brakes in due course. The light weathering is just fine too, to my eye, but heavily weathered would of course me more typical for everyday BR existence..

post-7929-0-95051200-1399428467.jpg

post-7929-0-09251700-1399428494.jpg

post-7929-0-87303200-1399428526.jpg

post-7929-0-41937500-1399428562.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

right hand side, as before without editing except painted background.

post-7929-0-41162500-1399508760.jpg

post-7929-0-86049600-1399508781.jpg

and back to the busier side...steam-pie-wise, the couplings and brakes will come off soon. Enough pics for now, methinks. Test ran it on a short length of straight track and smooth and quiet.

post-7929-0-53137900-1399530248.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Just a note Rob to say thanks for the photos - It's really great to see the beast from so many angles and in a 'natural setting too'. I do appreciate you taking the time to share this stuff with us. Certainly makes me look forward to getting my BR one when it arrives!

Rob,

If possible can you do a close up of the lifting lugs on the top of the 'water' end of the Garratt and a front top 3/4 view of the rotating bunker please?

Cheers Tony

Coming up in about an hour after coffee...

here they are;

post-7929-0-51511300-1399588213.jpg

post-7929-0-48411200-1399588244.jpg

post-7929-0-60208800-1399588308.jpg

post-7929-0-52783600-1399588339.jpg

Cheers, off now to remove brakes, couplings, add numbers, emblem etc.

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

Yes, presumably, although I didn't notice, also a filler cap was loose in the box, and I broke off a step under the bunker-end yesterday when I entangled it in some wires feeding the test track.

The model was lifted from its cradle gently and moved gently. I don't see how the 2 handrail knobs would have been broken. Assembly issue?

Edited by robmcg

Here is the model with 3-link coupling, no pony truck brakes, and BR crest and numbers. All note done with editing.

Looks the part... note handrail on front tank and step on nearside rear fixed.

post-7929-0-60391300-1399600679.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

as you discovered the steps are fragile and one of mine came adrift at a derailment (going too fast through a set of leading points). I found the pieces and as a result (apart from speed restrictions) I have added a tiny drop of superglue on all four steps to better secure them. I also put some more twists in the wiring loom to the front section and now invisible as the loom nestles up under the loco. The front lamp was not as bright and discovered the "dummy" lamp had a large dob of glue obscuring the output from the LED so I cleaned that off and it now appears brighter.

Peter

Thanks Rob,

The assembly looks much better than my 'first batch' one - the lifting lugs are fitted almost flush (as they should be) whereas mine are at all kinds of angles. Those handrail knobs look like they have just 'popped' out of their holes and will push back with luck

cheers Tony

Thanks Rob,

The assembly looks much better than my 'first batch' one - the lifting lugs are fitted almost flush (as they should be) whereas mine are at all kinds of angles. Those handrail knobs look like they have just 'popped' out of their holes and will push back with luck

cheers Tony

Thanks Tony [and Peter in previous message]  yes they look fixable, I found the step which broke off and plan to attempt a small bead of polystyrene on the bottom of the arm and then slide the step into place with it sitting on a suitably-thick slab of something and let the bead and step join and 'set'.  Ugly and slow...     that's my method. I might have to think about buying spectacles for close up work, at 63yrs. The handrail staunchions (is that the right word?) appear to be just careless assembly and or vibration in transit, which was 5 days from Liverpool to my door in NZ. One is very tight on the rod, I must use gentle methods.

I have new pics coming...

So, overcame/re-attached the detached step, although I think the foot-rest was originally drilled , a bead of poly and the detached step was slid into place just below the vertical rod, moved on top of a ruler and piece of card to fine-tune it, and it was easy...

post-7929-0-06717500-1399677338.jpg

then I edited another pic to show appearance with very mild weathering and no pony truck brakes, 3-link coupling, and sandboxes and pipes added.   Another lovely result, 47969 not long out of shops.

post-7929-0-25076600-1399683076.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You can't have because I got the last one at about 10.30  :yes:

They must have found another one as mine arrived yesterday. Works as described in other posts but it is a tight fit in

the box so take care when removing it to avoid damage.

Warning for EM and P4 users - you have to file the base to get the wider gauge. Have fun with that.

DCC Concept's attempts to get you to buy more are financial madness. E.G. multiple purchases to use as storage boxes or to use to ship models.

I'll just have the one for servicing locomotives.

They must have found another one as mine arrived yesterday. Works as described in other posts but it is a tight fit in

the box so take care when removing it to avoid damage.

Warning for EM and P4 users - you have to file the base to get the wider gauge. Have fun with that.

DCC Concept's attempts to get you to buy more are financial madness. E.G. multiple purchases to use as storage boxes or to use to ship models.

I'll just have the one for servicing locomotives.

Mine arrived yesterday as well.

I bought the 560mm size as I reckoned I could use it for Dmu's etc which I didn't want to separate.

I also have a Rivarossi Big Boy which is a bit awkward to handle so it will fit that as well.

Did you get hold of your Garrett yet ?

That would be for the best I think.

A few people on the LNER forum have found some shots of these behemoths at Peterborough of all places. Is there any evidence they got any further south on the ECML than that? Just out of interest. I can't justify one really with my modelling interests and the price is out of my range (but may I emphasise, I don't believe its overpriced just out of my budget!)

That would be for the best I think.

A few people on the LNER forum have found some shots of these behemoths at Peterborough of all places. Is there any evidence they got any further south on the ECML than that? Just out of interest. I can't justify one really with my modelling interests and the price is out of my range (but may I emphasise, I don't believe its overpriced just out of my budget!)

They definitely went further East, to Whittlesey, if that helps. A wartime thing I believe, to lessen the the clogging up of the Peterborough yards with traffic. Somewhere I have a postwar picture in a book.

Stewart

And as Ian suggests, lets return to talking about the Hattons/Heljan Garratt and their LMS and BR days...

That's what inspires me, the models are impressive, their history is interesting.

Can't wait for the heavily-weathered versions.

Cheers,

Rob

p.s. as a matter of interest I have now accumulated a nearly complete set of Irwell Press 'The Book of....' series and these offer marvellous descriptions of many of the locos I 'paint' ... (oops, there I go again. Is that about the model or the prototype?)

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Yes...I'm waiting for the later BR weathered versions,too.As I posted a couple of weeks ago the thing that bothers me about investing in one is the tricky business of railing and re railing this lengthy beast.A solution IS available from DC Kits & Hattons but that adds considerably to the cost.Looks to be one of those "essential accessories".....similar to buying a new car.Admittedly,in these times,the Garratt is outstanding value for money.

I've found my Garratt goes on the track OK using the long Peco rerailer - a lot easier I might add than getting a recalcitrant Big Boy or Cab Forward on the rails.  As for the loco lifts, I use them on most of my American artics, I buy three Peco lifts to make two, if that makes sense.  I saw one in half and then graft it on to the other whole one using small sized aluminium angle.  Admittedly I call on my brother to mill down one side so it doesn't foul the rail; I use some small self tappers to fasten it and this seems to work OK for me.  Not as elegant as the MPD beauties, I agree,  but functional and a damn sight cheaper.