Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Only 3 rotary-bunker Garratts of any kind left in Hattons now at 00.36am 18 June.  Early BR part weathered 47995 . There were 10 two days ago.

post-7929-0-19525700-1403048612.jpg

post-7929-0-00993900-1403049303.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Just noticed on Hattons website that 266208, 47996 early emblems on cabsides and numbers on tanks heavily weathered due June, is now shown as put back to July, I was looking forward to receiving this particular model, so I'm rather disappointed with this news. 

Just noticed on Hattons website that 266208, 47996 early emblems on cabsides and numbers on tanks heavily weathered due June, is now shown as put back to July, I was looking forward to receiving this particular model, so I'm rather disappointed with this news. 

At least it gives me me bit more time to set up somewhere to run it.

I'm sure it will be worth waiting a little longer....or at least I hope so.

• RMweb Gold

By my calculation,July is just 10 days from now.Heljan are usually less with the fairies on delivery dates than other manufacturers,so it's fortunate that it's only a month Hattons are quoting,rather than the usual movable feast from,as Andy Y roguishly quotes,Planet Thanet.
  • Like 2

By my calculation,July is just 10 days from now.Heljan are usually less with the fairies on delivery dates than other manufacturers,so it's fortunate that it's only a month Hattons are quoting,rather than the usual movable feast from,as Andy Y roguishly quotes,Planet Thanet.

Agreed Ian.............as delays go, this one from the Hattons/Heljan camp, all but pales into insignificance......I'm very comfortable with this at the moment.

I'm getting quite excited at the prospect of owning a Beyer Garratt pretty soon.  

Myself and a few friends are going to fix a day out to Liverpool when it arrives, and make collecting the loco, part of the day out..........my pals have pre ordered shopping lists of their own, but surprisingly non of them a BG......well, not yet anyway.

And dont they seem to be selling well....!!!!!!!!  I'm thinking a pre order of this particular release may well prove to have been a good idea.

Bob. 

Edited by 250BOB

I've also had Heljan version 266208 on order since August 2011. I emailed Hattons this morning to check the change of expected availability from June to July and sought assurances that it was going to be produced, having been previously let down with the Hattons/Dapol 10000/10001 late BR Green versions. They have confirmed that this version is in production now, which is good news, however I've just sent a supplementary q as if its still in production I can't see the stock arriving into the UK until August, if it isn't yet shipped in China. I'll post an update if I get a response

I had a very quick response from Hattons, there customer support replies are really very fast. They have advised that 266208 will now be shipped with the other remaining versions and they are expecting these towards the end of July.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed Ian.............as delays go, this one from the Hattons/Heljan camp, all but pales into insignificance......I'm very comfortable with this at the moment.

I'm getting quite excited at the prospect of owning a Beyer Garratt pretty soon.  

Myself and a few friends are going to fix a day out to Liverpool when it arrives, and make collecting the loco, part of the day out..........my pals have pre ordered shopping lists of their own, but surprisingly non of them a BG......well, not yet anyway.

And dont they seem to be selling well....!!!!!!!!  I'm thinking a pre order of this particular release may well prove to have been a good idea.

Bob.

I think that is the ultimate lads day out,Bob....good for you !

• Like 1

I had a very quick response from Hattons, there customer support replies are really very fast. They have advised that 266208 will now be shipped with the other remaining versions and they are expecting these towards the end of July.

They are good at customer questions.  But the above could be ambiguous, do they mean 266208 is ready to be shipped now (as in 'will now be shipped') , or  it will now be shipped with the other remaining models towards the end of July?

They have in the last day or two changed 266208 47996 heavily weathered from June delivery to July . Some others are still for June delivery. One has become 'June/July delivery...

I'll stop expecting a nice surprise every day....

They are good at customer questions.  But the above could be ambiguous, do they mean 266208 is ready to be shipped now (as in 'will now be shipped') , or  it will now be shipped with the other remaining models towards the end of July?

They have in the last day or two changed 266208 47996 heavily weathered from June delivery to July . Some others are still for June delivery. One has become 'June/July delivery...

I'll stop expecting a nice surprise every day....

Hi Rob,

I think we both need to take another one of those calming tablets..!!!!

Looks as if my Liverpool trip will be put back a few weeks.

Bob

Apologies if my last post was ambiguous about the expected date of arrival of version 266208 with Hattons. The reply I had from Hattons is that they are expecting this version to be received by them in July and it is most likely it will be towards the end of July. Hope that helps

With the P2 from Hornby, the heavily weathered Garratt(s), I will be spoilt anyway.

I well remember when Hornby made about 5 BR engines in 3-rail days, Duchess, A4, Standard 2-6-4T and N2, then Bristol Castle the last with a Ringfield motor which ran for a week or something equally remarkable. Then I think the Stanier 8F 2-8-0 came along... what more could one need?

I will still be regularly sneaking a look at the Hattons 'new products' section regardless.

With the P2 from Hornby, the heavily weathered Garratt(s), I will be spoilt anyway.

I well remember when Hornby made about 5 BR engines in 3-rail days, Duchess, A4, Standard 2-6-4T and N2, then Bristol Castle the last with a Ringfield motor which ran for a week or something equally remarkable. Then I think the Stanier 8F 2-8-0 came along... what more could one need?

I will still be regularly sneaking a look at the Hattons 'new products' section regardless.

Remember them well........I also had Sir Nigel, The Duchess, the N2 and Bristol Castle with the plungers under the tender.

And guess what.......I still have them....55 years later.

Bob.

• Like 2

..and in 1960 or 61 Kitmaster made the Garratt, not a bad model either. Hornby had gone on from 3-rail to 2-rail and as far as I know was beginning to have some problems, not that I was aware of that aged 10-11yrs., I bought a 2-rail R1 tank engine and thought it was great.

Kitmaster models became my interest and were mostly great too, but not a patch on the Hattons/Heljan models of today. I'm quite forgiving of the detail things on the Hattons models (like leaving the pony truck brakes on BR versions) because they are such impressive models and I think if you have any quality issues replacement is made immediately by Hattons. It has been a good few years for RTR 00.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that in the mid 1980s, Dapol (in the David Boyle years) proposed a ready to run LMS Beyer Garrett, but abandoned the project a couple of years later. I never knew if it was due to technical problems or financial, as by then they had gone on a model tooling buying spree buying up the ex Airfix/GMR and some Palitoy/Mainline tooling with oodles of stock that took years to shift and their new model plans seemed to evaporate. They had also bought significant amounts of old Dr Who model tooling at a time when the programme franchise was on the wane.

Yup 250 I still have my original Bristol Castle three rail and it runs sweet as.

So do some of you guys still have a 3 rail layout on which to run these locos...?/

I have a box full of points and track, and a whole load of coaches and wagons too....perhaps I should get it out and lay it on a baseboard and have a retro play....sounds like fun.

Bob

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So do some of you guys still have a 3 rail layout on which to run these locos...?/

I have a Hornby Dublo 3 rail shelf layout higher up on the wall above my main layout. The 1950s and 1960s Dublo technology was designed to run for ever, and the locomotives and track perform as well today as they did when new. If you are thinking of getting your old Dublo out again, I say "go for it".  There's lots to be had at reasonable prices on E bay if you want to expand.

Two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1vJ8tuoaUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpubNaDfE04

I got my first Dublo from Father Christmas in 1957. Here it is on the same talbe at my Mum's house on its 50th Birthday in 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SemQO3idM

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 5

....perhaps I should get it out and lay it on a baseboard and have a retro play....sounds like fun.

Or even use a flexitrack system and add a DIY third rail, so that they are not having to negotiate radii too tight even for 0-4-0T's. Seen this done (with switching to enable the layout to be worked either of two rail or three rail operation) and have never seen H-D run better.

• Like 2