Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

I haven't ordered mine yet (!) but all these comments abount loose filler caps?

Instead of using glue to fix them in place, use a dab of silicon (bath sealant). This should allow removal if you want to get at the screw which is allegedly under the cap.

Stewart

My 226212 arrived yesterday via Yodel. Front tank filler cap laying on top of tank. Ran perfectly on my rolling road, taking 0.25 amps at 6 volts dropping to 0.2 amps as it freed up. front light dimmer than rear, as mentioned above. Removed the bogie brakes while the trucks were removed to fit the couplings, they are glued Not very evenly. I cannot understand why "Mr Hatton" hasn't asked for then not to be fitted on loco's in post 1933 condition!! They were removed from the Garratts about 1933 at a cost of £ 86.00 per locomotive!!!

Terry

I haven't ordered mine yet (!) but all these comments abount loose filler caps?

Instead of using glue to fix them in place, use a dab of silicon (bath sealant). This should allow removal if you want to get at the screw which is allegedly under the cap.

Stewart

Yep.......or Copydex.

Got my garratt today , unfortunately the rear motor has a lock up point where it stops and is dragged by the front wheels. Expecting a valve gear lock up I gave it a good inspection and although the valve gear was far from perfect it was not the cause of the problem. After taking the rear cover off and turning the flywheel by had ( or finger ) you could feel the gears lock up inside the sealed drive.

So another on its way back to Liverpool.

Ivan

My 226212 arrived yesterday via Yodel. Front tank filler cap laying on top of tank. Ran perfectly on my rolling road, taking 0.25 amps at 6 volts dropping to 0.2 amps as it freed up. front light dimmer than rear, as mentioned above. Removed the bogie brakes while the trucks were removed to fit the couplings, they are glued Not very evenly. I cannot understand why "Mr Hatton" hasn't asked for then not to be fitted on loco's in post 1933 condition!! They were removed from the Garratts about 1933 at a cost of £ 86.00 per locomotive!!!

Terry

It's a mystery that quite basic changes in assembly like 'don't fit brakes to pony trucks' have been overlooked.  Also the number of motor issues adds a certain nervousness to the purchase...  at least replacements are quick, but you get the feeling the price does not bring certainty-of-quality.

I'm confident that buyers will receive every consideration from Hattons.

I just want my heavily weathered version!!!  :)

47992, which arrived four days ago, is still undergoing running in and route testing.   Several problems with the pony trucks derailing have occurred on various types of Peco code 100 points (mainly small radius points in the fiddle yard but also single and double slips).   The wheel back to backs were found to be a little on the low side.  

Adjusting them cured the problems.  The wheels are easily unclipped from the truck. 

Edited by dandg

Just given my 4994 a quick run before the weekend, lovely model. Very mesmeric watching it going around the layout and smooth over pointwork. Same problem with loose filler cap, but a blob of blu-tack should fix it.

Well done Heljan and Hattons :imsohappy:

Regards,

Dan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had a 266210 arrive on Saturday, and that also had a loose filler cap (which I caught before it disappeared for good).  More troublesome though was the front motor usually ran when it was reversing, but only intermittently when going forward.  So it is now winging its way back to Liverpool.  It'll be interesting to see how the replacement runs.

Adrian

That one was sent off Monday tea time, the replacement arrived mid-afternoon today, so fair dos to Hatton's on getting the replacement out.  A quick look suggests that it has survived the journey OK, but it will be Friday before I've got time to get it on some track and see what happens.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

My model of 47992 arrived earlier this week, it's a stunning beast to witness in the flesh.

However as previous posters have mentioned, the filler cap on the forward tender was missing. Email to Hattons sent requesting a replacement. I'd certainly recommend proud owners of this model check that the filler caps are present, as spares in the future may become limited.

Will test run over the next few days.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely a livery issue with the early crest releases the Lion should be facing forward (to the boiler) on both sides, it also looks like the crest are the wrong size too, they look to big compared to those on the real thing

• RMweb Gold

My Garratt arrived on Saturday and apart from a loose filler cap was fine.

However it has been repacked and is on its way back to Liverpool. The fitting and programming of the decoder was easy and it had no problem hauling lots of trucks at low speed. I repaired the bit of track that had been spread by the loco and gave it a faster run. It either stopped at half throttle or ran away at full speed. Initially I suspected something may have needed tweaking on the decoder. I had fitted a Lenz Standard + (as have other RMweb people) and adjusted all that was sensible (turning DC off) limiting max speed and so on. It was just as bad. I was getting grumpy about Lenz decoders (I usually use TCS or Digitrax) but I tried another one. At this point I wondered if it was some strange Lenz behaviour with a 2 motored loco and fitted a Hattons own brand decoder. Identical behaviour. I inspected the circuit board and couldn't see anything obvious so I phoned up, spoke to a very nice lady who emailed me a returns label and off I went to my nearest Collect Plus shop.

I really liked having the loco for a few days and I'm looking forward to its replacement.

Tony

It  does  seem  that  there  have  been rather  more  problems  with  the  Garratts,  than  I  would  have  expected, particularly  as   this will be  a  low  volume  item  ( in terms of numbers  sold)  and  Heljan's  usually  good quality  products  in  UK  0  &  oo  and  Continental H0.

Received my LMS one yesterday. I have a few issues with it though:

The filler cap fell off after a run-in session on the rolling road. Easily sorted.

There is a pipe of some sort loose underneath the bolier. No problem on thr rolling road but it would have broken off if running the loco on a layout.

The pony brake rigging is fine at one end, but at the other, it is bent far away from the wheel. Probably a scale 12"!

Worst of all, the bunker-end chassis is not straight. It rocks on the centre axle so all 6 wheels can never be in contact with the rail. I'm not sure if I should or even can fix this??

Edited by Pete the Elaner

was  there  not  some  discussion  years  ago  re  the  facing  of  the  Lion on the  BR  Crests?

Something  to  do  with  the  Heraldic  rules  which  only  allowed in theory  one  crest ie  left  facing?

Must  admit  I did not  take  much notice  at  the  tiime, but  maybe  someone  can  throw  some  light on  this?

I think BR had 'incorrect' crests for a while on one side, and several early crest engines were not fixed for several years. Photos would be the only answer.  It may be that rearward-facing crests on the fireman's side did occur?

As to the size of the crests, they look maybe 10% large compared to some photos in Irwell's book of the LM Garratts, and about right for others, and most pics they are dirty, so that might affect appearances. I'm not aware that Derby or Crewe used BR emblems which varied by this smallish amount, given the clearly large or small early crests used around 1950.  So my guess is that they could have varied slightly, the model erring on the large size.

Edited by robmcg

Received my LMS one yesterday. I have a few issues with it though:

The filler cap fell off after a run-in session on the rolling road. Easily sorted.

There is a pipe of some sort loose underneath the bolier. No problem on thr rolling road but it would have broken off if running the loco on a layout.

The pony brake rigging is fine at one end, but at the other, it is bent far away from the wheel. Probably a scale 12"!

Worst of all, the bunker-end chassis is not straight. It rocks on the centre axle so all 6 wheels can never be in contact with the rail. I'm not sure if I should or even can fix this??

I think it might be necessary to ask for a replacement, sadly.  The broken rod under the smokebox is apparent in the shop website pics too, I think it is a brake rigging rod?

The pony brakes never existed on the prototypes after about 1935  possibly earlier, so they can be safely removed on most versions.

A pity about a warped chassis,  not an axle with swarf or something?

My sympathies.

• RMweb Gold

I think BR had 'incorrect' crests for a while on one side, and several early crest engines were not fixed for several years. Photos would be the only answer.  It may be that rearward-facing crests on the fireman's side did occur?

It did happen occasionally, which usually meant the pair of crests where the wrong way round on Both sides. All the photo's I've seen of the LM Garratts with crests, they have crest on the Fireman's side facing forward. It's a screw up somewhere in the production process.

I think heavy weathering would be a pragmatic answer. [joke]    I haven't seen a photo of a rearward-facing crest on a Garratt either...   but I think that loose brake-rigging, wrong brakes on pony trucks (i.e. shouldn't be there), and most important, mechanical question-marks are more of a worry.

That said, a good one is worth £199.

I think heavy weathering would be a pragmatic answer. [joke]    I haven't seen a photo of a rearward-facing crest on a Garratt either...   but I think that loose brake-rigging, wrong brakes on pony trucks (i.e. shouldn't be there), and most important, mechanical question-marks are more of a worry.

I wonder  if  it  is  too  cheap?  There  are  some  who  would  dispute  this,  but  in  view  of  the  Garratt's  more limited  appeal due  to its  real life  regional limitations, it will not generate high volume  sales,  and  considering  that   the Garratt is in effect   almost  2 locos  for  £199, when the price  is  compared  with  other  locos, it is exceptionally cheap,

Compare  the   listed  discount  price  for  Heljan's  'Tango' 2-8-0 for  example.  ( £148  Hattons)

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

47971 (with rear-facing Lion on one side) was yodelled yesterday (collected Sunday, delivered Monday) and spent the evening running in prior to receiving it's decoder later today:

attachicon.gifBeyerGarrattBR-01.jpg

Loose filler cap found lying on the top of the tank and fitted. Loco performing well on the test track, looking forward to seeing on the main line soon.

Keith

It's a rather murky morning and a rather grotty 47971 has completed it's running in and is ready to take over it's first service train:

post-586-0-40323400-1404462438.jpg

post-586-0-35014700-1404462467.jpg

.....maybe 4978 is off to get a repaint into BR livery....wonder which way the lions will be facing?.......

Keith

• Like 1

As noted by an earlier poster, when we actually had steam locos in routine service, details of the totem were the last thing I would have been looking at. I am just too young to have seen and remember a Garratt operating in the UK, but am quite certain that had I seen this locomotive equivalent to the 'pushmepullyou', the engine unit at each end would have taken up all my attention, and then some.

Regarding the price point, it seems well judged to me. It's the equivalent of two medium sized outside gear tank engines, with a detailed body piece with no running gear to link them. There are savings in packaging and distribution, in that it isn't shipped as three separate pieces, but as a single unit.

...Hit the 'go' button by accident...

Comparing the price to the (Heljan) O2 isn't very helpful. That model will have been planned in the context of future operational conditions, with allowance made for anticipated increases in labour, materials and other costs. If it is to the same standard as the Garratt that's still good value for anyone wanting an OO RTR model of the class, which is what matters most.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

As a matter  of  interest  Heljan   list  a 4-6-2  SJ  Loco Litra F1271  ref 10045331  Priced  at  DKK3195  ( danish Crowns)  which is  around   £340.00  Naturally it  would most  likely be poss. to purchase somewhere at  discount!