Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

I am waiting for the same model.

With seven more versions still to come and stocks of more than ten still showing for the first two I hope they are selling well enough for the order to be completed.

Nothing surprising there i suppose.I can't remember when I placed the order for mine it was so long ago.

I was also interested in the Rails / Bachmann 10000 twins but I may have a zimmer frame before they show up.Just as well I got the Dapol ones instead.

Looks like delivery times have gone completely out the window  :rolleyes:

You could use the DCC concepts MPD lifts.

http://www.ehattons.com/59749/DCC_Concepts_MPD_360_360mm_OO_gauge_loco_storage_box_drive_on_off/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/mpd360-motive-power-depot---small.aspx

OK Very expensive, but if the loco is £199 whats £37.05 to keep it safe and be able to just drive it straight on/off the track?

Thats the small one pictured in the links, might possibly need to go to the medium size, I'm sure hattons would see if it would fit though.

Only a thought!

Cheers

Ian

It's quite straightforward to nail/glue three scrap pieces of MDF or ply and add a cushion of sponge (kitchen cloths are ideal) to make a U-sectioned holder of any length - all for practically nought.

(I must be a Yorkshireman...)

• RMweb Gold

It's quite straightforward to nail/glue three scrap pieces of MDF or ply and add a cushion of sponge (kitchen cloths are ideal) to make a U-sectioned holder of any length - all for practically nought.

(I must be a Yorkshireman...)

......and how do you drive the loco into/onto it without picking it up?

I'm sure it will - I imagine that the BR emblem ones are going to be the most popular.

I have so much enjoyed the fixed-bunker model LMS lightly weathered that I just bought a lightly weathered rotating-bunker version, covering the bases as it were.

Anyone know where I might buy BR emblems and suitable numerals to do my own re-numbering?

I notice that the rotating bunker models still have pony truck brakes, still, these can be removed. I also notice that the valve gear on the Hattons version pictured has something close to the correct negative offset on the return cranks, a quaint ex-Midland quirk (also on Bulleid Pacifics) , but it looks good, even if it is a bit of luck on the assembly line.... reminds me of buying British cars in the 60s! [edit; return crank angle is not so 'right' on the pristine BR version, it's a lottery, just like Bachmann and Hornby on most of their models. also the LMS model is not sitting correctly at the cab end of the centre section, in the photo, but now I'm being picky ]

There is so much uncertainty about delivery dates across the board that I am no longer happy to wait, and wait... must be my age! (63)

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I have so much enjoyed the fixed-bunker model LMS lightly weathered that I just bought a lightly weathered rotating-bunker version, covering the bases as it were.

Anyone know where I might buy BR emblems and suitable numerals to do my own re-numbering?

I notice that the rotating bunker models still have pony truck brakes, still, these can be removed. I also notice that the valve gear on the Hattons version pictured has something close to the correct negative offset on the return cranks, a quaint ex-Midland quirk (also on Bulleid Pacifics) , but it looks good, even if it is a bit of luck on the assembly line.... reminds me of buying British cars in the 60s! [edit; return crank angle is not so 'right' on the pristine BR version, it's a lottery, just like Bachmann and Hornby on most of their models. also the LMS model is not sitting correctly at the cab end of the centre section, in the photo, but now I'm being picky ]

There is so much uncertainty about delivery dates across the board that I am no longer happy to wait, and wait... must be my age! (63)

Cheers,

Rob

Hi there Rob, I hope that regarding the transfers I may be of some help. A quick Goole search has shown that Petersspares.com has the HMRS range of transfers in stock. The sheet in question is number 14P (presssfix). It is priced at £5.79, and has the B.R. steam loco numbers and crests on it. There are also carriage and van transfers on it. I've used these over many years, and always found them to be very good - the transfers I should say.

The postal charge for New Zealand will come under their Worldwide shipping service. This £7.25 for Royal Mail untracked Airmail.

All the best,

Market65.

I look forward to seeing the pictures Rob once you've worked your magic with them.

Just been comparing the models to the pictures in the irwell volume. The BRITISH RAILWAYS one looks right but the LMS block style numbers seem a tad big to me. Maybe it's my eyes though. I can't find a reference pic for the plain tank loco though.

Hi there Rob, I hope that regarding the transfers I may be of some help. A quick Goole search has shown that Petersspares.com has the HMRS range of transfers in stock. The sheet in question is number 14P (presssfix). It is priced at £5.79, and has the B.R. steam loco numbers and crests on it. There are also carriage and van transfers on it. I've used these over many years, and always found them to be very good - the transfers I should say.

The postal charge for New Zealand will come under their Worldwide shipping service. This £7.25 for Royal Mail untracked Airmail.

All the best,

Market65.

Thankyou very much, I have bought from Peter's Spares before and they are excellent. Just received a rare part from them yesterday in fact, about 10 days after ordering but that included part of Easter.

I think we can expect photos from me in about 2 weeks.. or a bit longer if transfers are applied with various methods to ameliorate any errors in my aim!

While I am sure Hattons will stand by their £199 RP for now, and probably all in their first batches, one has to wonder about the cost of future production runs.

Best,

Rob

All the best,

Market65.

Personally I would always use Methfix over Pressfix - they have a thinner glue layer so sit 'flatter'. However they are a tad more difficult to apply

Tony

Well, ease of application appeals to me, the last time I applied transfers was to Kitmaster models from around 1961 and Airfix up till 1966.

Not much before that and we had 1949-50 condition BR 47995... a relaxed driver, pondering the nature of things as this mostly private-owner-wagon train makes its way along a Midland main line.

post-7929-0-95211200-1399011537_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My heavily weathered version is now scheduled for July. I was sorely tempted to cancel, but I have waited this long so another two months will not make a huge difference. It is sad these days how unreliable delivery dates and timelines are.

Personally I would always use Methfix over Pressfix - they have a thinner glue layer so sit 'flatter'. However they are a tad more difficult to apply

Tony

I would recommend Fox Transfers. They post to me in NZ and are excellent quality, easy to apply

I agree, 7013, my impatience led me to buy both lightly-weathered versions (LMS and BR), and I'm very happy with them.

Still have two heavily-weathered versions on order, one in June one in July perhaps... I'm hoping the weathering will be quite good, otherwise I might cancel the second one.

Has anyone built a model of Hasland shed?

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg

My heavily weathered version is now scheduled for July. I was sorely tempted to cancel, but I have waited this long so another two months will not make a huge difference. It is sad these days how unreliable delivery dates and timelines are.

Disapointing  but  thinking  back  over  the  years,  at  some  of  the  'BIG NEW' releases, very  few  actually  arrived  on schedual.

I am  waiting  for  some Bachmann 0n30 Whitcombe  Diesels,  initially  announced  for  Oct 2013  delivery,  and  since  that  date  has  been put  back several times  now  due  around  July apparently,

Coversley  the 0n30 2-4-4-2 Mallet  was  released  a couple of  years  back, was  announced  and  on  sale within 3 months!

• RMweb Gold

I agree, 7013, my impatience led me to buy both lightly-weathered versions (LMS and BR), and I'm very happy with them.Still have two heavily-weathered versions on order, one in June one in July perhaps... I'm hoping the weathering will be quite good, otherwise I might cancel the second one.Has anyone built a model of Hasland shed?Cheers,Rob

FOUR ,Rob ? You moving house,then? Impressive!

FOUR ,Rob ? You moving house,then? Impressive!

I think it quite essential to civilised living to have at least three Garratts on hand at any one time. You never know when one will have run hot or be out of service. <g>

47994 was a favourite of mine because it was the one illustrated as the last survivor in my 'Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain' 1958 by H C Casserley... my cherished Christmas present for that year, when I was nearly 8yrs old. It was the only one running I think in early 1958. A fine example of everything British, in a way...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could use the DCC concepts MPD lifts.

http://www.ehattons.com/59749/DCC_Concepts_MPD_360_360mm_OO_gauge_loco_storage_box_drive_on_off/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/mpd360-motive-power-depot---small.aspx

OK Very expensive, but if the loco is £199 whats £37.05 to keep it safe and be able to just drive it straight on/off the track?

Thats the small one pictured in the links, might possibly need to go to the medium size, I'm sure hattons would see if it would fit though.

Only a thought!

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian,

Based upon your suggestion I contacted Haootons and was advised (virtually by return!!) that although the Garratts would just fit in the smaller MPD 360 Hattons would recommend using the MPD 460 so that you would not have the buffers and couplings protruding from the end of the case.

An order has been placed with Hattons which should arrive next week. I'll post a pic once everything has been set up.

Thanks, Ian, for the information about the MPDs. I was not aware that DCC Concepts had produced these items. RMweb scores again!!

Keith

• Like 1

My British Railways one arrived Thursday all present and correct just a tender filler cap loose in the box not a problem it is just a push fit to cover a fixing screw. Superb runner straight out of the box and near silent mechanism.

Garrett2_zpsf593e642.jpg

It does need a few tweaks.

The pony truck brakes are moulded as part of the truck so unless they have tooled up two trucks they are all going to come with them, but it takes seconds to snip them off with a pair of side cutters.

Not so keen on the amount of side play of the pony truck wheels to allow the truck go around tight radius curves. As I have minimum 3' radius curves I've modified mine with a 7mm length of 2mm id tubing crimped to the axle.

Img_0500_zpsa278d8e8.jpg

The five link couplings have to go. Mine just pulled out without a problem. Just need to know what to fit. Being a Southern man anybody know the story of the couplings most picture suggest plain three link but I have found one picture of 4997 with what look like screw couplings?

http://loco.skyrocket.de/img/lms__4997__1.jpg

• Like 4