Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

• RMweb Gold

I buy three Peco lifts to make two, if that makes sense.  I saw one in half and then graft it on to the other whole one using small sized aluminium angle.  

An ingenious idea!

Shame about the damage and poor assembly on your example, but every confidence in Hattons doing the right thing in their usual style. Thanks for the invaluable photo essay.

The strange 'jewellery chain' links on the drawhook: a spontaneous improv. in China when they hadn't got the right three links components on the build line? One of those situations where it is definitely better to leave it off, rather than 'try'.

In fairness, with pick up spread over four compensated axles, a pair in each bogie, over that distance (and it must commoned to both motors since there is a single decoder socket): that is going to be more than adequate as a design if all the wipers are in contact. And with the pick up strips externally mounted any modifier can quickly solder on four more wipers to take care of the centre drivers if they wish.

Hi

I have bought a Garratt from  Hattons , was deliverd 2 days ago.I live in South Africa .I was very impressed with the Loco, however the electrical pick up,s don't all touch the wheels.In the post you mention"the pick up strips externally mounted any modifier can quickly solder on four more wipers to take care of the centre drivers if they wish " .I looked at the possibility but the pickup strips if heated up by the soldering iron will this not melt the plastic ,which they are mounted in. I thinking of soldering on much firmer pick up wires , the present one,s don't have enough spring.Any suggestions please.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I have started to record my Garratt fitted with a sound file from Neil of Olivias. The loco is fitted with a Loksound V4 decoder and I have replaced the 4 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm sugar cube speaker. Its my first attempt at youtubing so please excuse the total lack of film professionalism  :sungum:

http://youtu.be/vKC2c3lqzIY

Anyway, please enjoy. 

Peter

• Like 6

...In the post you mention "the pick up strips externally mounted, any modifier can quickly solder on four more wipers to take care of the centre drivers if they wish " .I looked at the possibility but the pickup strips if heated up by the soldering iron will this not melt the plastic ,which they are mounted in...

That's an untested idea, since I don't own a Garratt, and am not going to; as they didn't operate in my 1957 - 62 window.

The execution of additional pick ups: if push came to shove and there was no way of preventing meltdown in situ with heatsinking or similar, then it would have to be disassembly to enable the job if it proved necessary. Or even a complete revision of the pick up arrangements, which I have done on several RTR models over the years when the maker's pick up concept has proven duff. But I am not in a position to advise on the specifics here as a non-owner.

I would hope that with pick up provided on four driven wheels each side, and paired in bogies for flexibility, that simply adjusting the wipers for full contact throughout the side to side movement of the wheelsets would be enough. That's equivalent pick up to a centre motor BoBo type, and these things are rock solid for current collection with the wipers properly adjusted. I still always check that all wipers make full contact on new models, force of habit over many years buying RTR where typically half the wipers were  ineffective. Although matters have improved of late, there is still often some improvement possible.

Any owners of the tweaking and modifying persuasion had a go in this department?

That's an untested idea, since I don't own a Garratt, and am not going to; as they didn't operate in my 1957 - 62 window.

The execution of additional pick ups: if push came to shove and there was no way of preventing meltdown in situ with heatsinking or similar, then it would have to be disassembly to enable the job if it proved necessary. Or even a complete revision of the pick up arrangements, which I have done on several RTR models over the years when the maker's pick up concept has proven duff. But I am not in a position to advise on the specifics here as a non-owner.

I would hope that with pick up provided on four driven wheels each side, and paired in bogies for flexibility, that simply adjusting the wipers for full contact throughout the side to side movement of the wheelsets would be enough. That's equivalent pick up to a centre motor BoBo type, and these things are rock solid for current collection with the wipers properly adjusted. I still always check that all wipers make full contact on new models, force of habit over many years buying RTR where typically half the wipers were  ineffective. Although matters have improved of late, there is still often some improvement possible.

Any owners of the tweaking and modifying persuasion had a go in this department?

Thanks for the reply.I will surely give it a checkout and decide.

Yes...I'm waiting for the later BR weathered versions,too.As I posted a couple of weeks ago the thing that bothers me about investing in one is the tricky business of railing and re railing this lengthy beast.A solution IS available from DC Kits & Hattons but that adds considerably to the cost.Looks to be one of those "essential accessories".....similar to buying a new car.Admittedly,in these times,the Garratt is outstanding value for money.

I have found that lifting gently/replacing into the cradle the loco was delivered in works well for me. I then place it on a flat surface (large flat hardcover book) alongside. Then move the book to a position alongside a piece of track, and do the same gentle lift/replace. Might be slow and ugly but that's what Garratts are all about?

• RMweb Gold

I have found that lifting gently/replacing into the cradle the loco was delivered in works well for me. I then place it on a flat surface (large flat hardcover book) alongside. Then move the book to a position alongside a piece of track, and do the same gentle lift/replace. Might be slow and ugly but that's what Garratts are all about?

Fortunately I was at Alexandra Palace this year and observed Andy Y's demonstration of Garratt removal from the track. I don't think it was videoed for posterity though!

Tony

I agree it's good value, and even on a diorama it is a very impressive model when in motion.  My two examples have excellent low speed on DC with my Spectrum Magnum controllers.

I have to imagine the 87 loaded coal wagons though...

Another nice thing is that the plastic shroud/inlay is accurately made and protects the model well when in storage.

Can't wait for the heavily-weathered versions!

Just checked Hattons website and on the Beyer Garratt page it shows 26602 LMS 4978 lightly weathered as being sold out, so this has scupperd my plan of obtaining all twelve models, i have however ordered 26606 LMS 47972 an hour ago and was informed after my purchase that their is now only one left.

I'm actually rather pleased that the models are not clogging the shelves, and I expect the heavily-weathered versions will sell very well. That said, its very hard to please every buyer with weathering.

I'm actually rather pleased that the models are not clogging the shelves, and I expect the heavily-weathered versions will sell very well. That said, its very hard to please every buyer with weathering.

I  agree.it is good news that Hatton's  Garrett  venture looks to be a success.. 

I am eagerly awaiting the heavily weathered  47996. and have bought the MPD so I don,t drop it !

Hattons have it   listed as June delivery. Does anyone know anything better.?

Any more pics  from Nouvelle Zelande ?. 

Still listed by Hattons as June, another heavily weathered version for July, fingers crossed.

I will certainly be photographing my pre-ordered examples of each in due course.

Now that the LMS lightly-weathered version has sold out, perhaps I will be allowed to show these 2 pics again...  which really show off the nature of the beast...

post-7929-0-12380600-1400883465.jpg

post-7929-0-93660000-1400883383.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

266205 No 47967 with BRITISH RAILWAYS on tanks now sold out at Hattons

Those last six people left it until the last moment !

I am led to believe that 47967 might be dispatched this next week..

I am in hospital at the moment having had a new knee fitted which is excellent.

So this morning I had the all important lesson with the physio on how to get up and down stairs.No problem at all.So when I get home next week I will be able to get up the stairs into my roof space to test the loco.

I can now relax.

• Like 1

Hi Monjac,

47967 ? this is not shown on the Hattons website, I'm waiting for 266208 No 47996 heavily weathered, hoping, fingers crossed that this is released in the next week or so.

Me too Brian..........just hoping the weathering is a good job.

I grabbed the very last 266205 BRITISH RAILWAYS version early this morning!

Thanks to the earlier poster alerting me to the fact there were only 6 left, by the time I woke up this morning it was down to 2, by the time I remembered my Hattons account login just the 1 in stock....phew that was close.

This was the version that appealed to me the most, good job for Hattons that we are all different!

Many thanks to Rob for the excellent and inspiring photoshop pictures.

Will update when it arrives, which should be Tuesday as I took the Yodel 24 option. Fingers crossed my model will be OK as it was the last one.

What a turnover Hattons must have, that's 6 models at £199 in a little over 24 hours and that is just one of their many thousands of products.

Best Regards

Ashley

• Like 1