Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Garratt No.266210 advertised as having 1949-50 block style numbers on bunkers (lightly weathered) accompanied by a photo showing a real Garratt with standard BR Gill Sans.

No.266212 is correctly advertised with BR Gill Sans numbers (pristine) and a photo of the model shows it so.

So if you want a Garratt with BR standard Gill sans & early totem livery slightly weathered, there ain't one as yet.

Edited by coachmann

E-Mail for me as well, 266203, 266204, 266210 and 266212 now in stock, that's 9 down 3 to go !

Looking at Hatton's Website

266202, 266205, 266206 & 266207 are sold out

266201, 266203, 266204, 266209, 266210 & 266212 are instock ready to bu

266208 & 266211 are still waiting for delivery (which just happens to be the 2 I have on order :O)

I take it they are trying to get the heavy weathering right as thats the ones still remaining to be released

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Hatton's Website

266202, 266205, 266206 & 266207 are sold out

266201, 266203, 266204, 266209, 266210 & 266212 are instock ready to bu

266208 & 266211 are still waiting for delivery (which just happens to be the 2 I have on order :O)

I take it they are trying to get the heavy weathering right as thats the ones still remaining to be released

That is an assumption I would not make.The models in question in all likelihood will already have left the factory and be somewhere in transit."Getting it right" isn't an option at this stage.I'm afraid you'll get what's in the box.

I had a phone call from Hattons at yesterday 8.30pm Australian Eastern standard time (10.30am UK) asking if it was okay to send the parcel signed-for, as they are to be sent that way to overseas customers and to charge the extra GBP3.50.  Now that is service.  I was not likely to say no.  So my 266210 lightly weathered model will be on its way Monday.

great service again from Hattons.

Look forward to running the beast.

Mark in OZ

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mark,

Mine performs faultlessly and the packaging and delivery was first class so I hope you experience the same.

I have just finished wrapping mine up in the DCC Concepts MPD-460 Box (well worth the $54) as the boss and I are heading for Alaska and Canada on Tuesday. (its got to be warmer there)

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info about the DCC concepts mpd-460 box.  I did see that a while ago. 

I have made a box for the Bachmann Blue Pullman which enables me to keep the 3 electrically powered sets together and with out taking it off the track run each half into the box.  So I may do the same with the Garratt, or will look at some other options including the mpd box.

Have a great time in Alaska and Canada.  I presume some train trip are on the list.  I have been to Vancouver and loved the place.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Received my 47992 yesterday.  Seems in full working order - fingers crossed!  The numbers are ludicrously over-sized - a scale 14" high - but since I'll be renumbering it anyway... . 

I notice that in all but one of the new releases the filler cap on the front tank is missing or loose/sitting alongside the filler.

Something to watch. My weathered 47995 of a couple of months ago had its cap loose and free in the packaging.

I too am waiting for the heavily-weathered versions, and do not to be honest expect anything remarkable, the part-weathering on 266210 (early BR 44971) looks similar to the previous part-weathered models, not overly convincing, but a start..

I hope the heavily weathered work will be a general grime effect, including handrails, and not too much fancy water or rust staining except heat/rust around the firebox and especially the ash-pan .... although I daresay we can modify whatever we receive.

And we still have to remove pony truck brakes...

My latest Beyer Garratts arrived on Friday, 266203, 266204, 266210 and 266212, on careful opening of each package i found that on each model the water tank filler cap had come off, luckily i found each one, be very careful,  as i do not believe spare parts are available from Hattons, still running each Garratt in at present, no other problems or faults have shown up as yet so far.

My latest Beyer Garratts arrived on Friday, 266203, 266204, 266210 and 266212, on careful opening of each package i found that on each model the water tank filler cap had come off, luckily i found each one, be very careful,  as i do not believe spare parts are available from Hattons, still running each Garratt in at present, no other problems or faults have shown up as yet so far.

I found that my model of 47967 (266205) arrived with one filler cap missing and no trace of it could be found in the packaging. I contacted Hattons and they sent out a replacement the following day.  They may have removed one from a returned locomotive.

47992 (266212) was delivered early on Saturday morning (by City Link's Monday to Friday before 1730 service!) and, as mentioned by robmcg, the filler cap for the front tank was resting on top of the tank right next to where it should have been. This model also shed a front step during early testing / running in. It took a fair bit of finding.  All have now been glued in place.

Interestingly both models behave differently when negotiating certain less than perfect sections of track, 47992 being the more awkward of the pair.  The PW gang is being kept busy!

the filler cap for the front tank was resting on top of the tank right next to where it should have been. This model also shed a front step during early testing / running in. It took a fair bit of finding.  All have now been glued in place.

The filer caps are just a push fit to cover the fixing screws if you glue it you won't be able to remove the body.

The filer caps are just a push fit to cover the fixing screws if you glue it you won't be able to remove the body.

To clarify, it was the loose / rotating front footsteps which I glued and not the filler caps.  

Hattons photographs of the two recently arrived B.R. locos show that the lion is not looking towards the chimney on the fireman's side as Heljan have used two left facing crests. 

• RMweb Premium

I notice that in all but one of the new releases the filler cap on the front tank is missing or loose/sitting alongside the filler.

Something to watch. My weathered 47995 of a couple of months ago had its cap loose and free in the packaging.

I too am waiting for the heavily-weathered versions, and do not to be honest expect anything remarkable, the part-weathering on 266210 (early BR 44971) looks similar to the previous part-weathered models, not overly convincing, but a start..

I hope the heavily weathered work will be a general grime effect, including handrails, and not too much fancy water or rust staining except heat/rust around the firebox and especially the ash-pan .... although I daresay we can modify whatever we receive.

And we still have to remove pony truck brakes...

I had a 266210 arrive on Saturday, and that also had a loose filler cap (which I caught before it disappeared for good).  More troublesome though was the front motor usually ran when it was reversing, but only intermittently when going forward.  So it is now winging its way back to Liverpool.  It'll be interesting to see how the replacement runs.

Adrian

Just opened the Garratt - I also had a loose filler cap but everything else was in order - I'll have to fit the chip and run her in tomorrow. Shame about the massive numbers, but other then that it's a very nice model :-)

Groan...........Whilst running in one of my new Beyer Garratt's this morning disaster struck, 266210 47971 BR "lion on wheel" emblems on cabsides & block-style numbers on tanks lightly weathered, failed with a seized motor, has anyone else suffered a similar problem ? A day trip to Liverpool and a few beers is on the agenda for tomorrow !

My LMS version arrived last night.

Loose filler cap as seems usual.

A tiny tip of glue might be in order if people weren't in the habit of taking off the body very often.

Otherwise they might get lost while running on a layout.

I also lost a brake shoe from one of the bogies but I read somewhere that my particular model didn't have them fitted anyway.

Gave it a little run this morning on a rolling road & it seemed to run fine.

One of the lights is brighter than the other but that's not a problem as I won't be looking at both lights at the same time  :crazy:

A very nice model & well worth the wait.

• Like 2

Oops!

was  there  not  some  discussion  years  ago  re  the  facing  of  the  Lion on the  BR  Crests?

Something  to  do  with  the  Heraldic  rules  which  only  allowed in theory  one  crest ie  left  facing?

Must  admit  I did not  take  much notice  at  the  tiime, but  maybe  someone  can  throw  some  light on  this?

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

47971 (with rear-facing Lion on one side) was yodelled yesterday (collected Sunday, delivered Monday) and spent the evening running in prior to receiving it's decoder later today:

post-586-0-20050500-1404219383.jpg

Loose filler cap found lying on the top of the tank and fitted. Loco performing well on the test track, looking forward to seeing on the main line soon.

Keith

• Like 4