Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

• 2 months later...

Well they seem to have run out of replacements. I just got an email offering credit for my 3 that were sent back. I think this is a very fair gesture but the problem is the credit is for their online store and anything I would care for is out of stock - especially class 31s.......

Well they seem to have run out of replacements. I just got an email offering credit for my 3 that were sent back. I think this is a very fair gesture but the problem is the credit is for their online store and anything I would care for is out of stock - especially class 31s.......

I too have had the same problem,

I sent two BR green ones in Nov last year had contact from Hornby in April (looking into my case) finally in May Tania from Hornby rang telling me they were unable to repair the two 31's and offered me £200 credit with Hornby. Like you the same problem when asking for models I wanted that were out of stock Tania asked if I would order something that was in stock as they wanted closure on my case. In the end settled on a Thompson 01 and two Gresley full brakes which were of course at full retail price. In the end I suppose I'm happy its all sorted out and I did get some great models.

Ian

I’ve been watching this subject from the side lines while keeping an eye on my D5512. I bought it new in January 2005. It has only recently shown any signs of chassis problems. The front valences are drooping slightly. Quite minor when compared with others seen here but I’m well aware that this won’t get any better.
post-9387-0-51800800-1375633623_thumb.jpg
Clearly this is something that shouldn’t happen but since owning this loco I have replaced a washing machine, a fridge, a cooker, two camcorders, a TV and a car. At what point then do I tell myself that I have had fair service from this item and replace it with a fresh one (possibly a cheap(ish) eBay job and do a body swap while it’s still fundamentally intact)?
If I may be indulged for a moment, I buy a fair bit of broadly pre’68 stuff and my son has post ’68 things in roughly equal number, we have between us well over 200 examples of the locos and units produced over the last 15 years. We have therefore witnessed first-hand many of the described “issues” regarding the quality or otherwise of recent R-T-R products. I try to keep an open mind when reading peoples observations / rants as on the whole I feel I must have been fortunate not to have suffered as much as some. Either that or the “problems” are not always as widespread as we may be led to believe. We have twisted N class 31813, had A1s that couldn’t move themselves, trapped wires parting company the first time a 153 or 2 EPB hit a reverse curve. My favourite was a Princess Royal that would run with any tender other than its own when its tender would run with everything else!
The problems I/we have had are, in percentage terms quite small (my son even has a couple of 4 VEPs that actually move quite nicely) so I have not been keen to get involved in the complaints (or consult my lawyer). Not since the Dapol Pendolino (drive shafts) that so disappointed “little’un” when he was much younger. Pat Hammond published my rant in full on that occasion. All this is strictly off topic of course and I beg your forgiveness for the diversion.
The contaminated Mazak issues are a matter beyond what normal QC would identify but this is a matter in different league from the occasional lemon slipping though the net (Does anyone fish for lemons?). Demonstrably, pretty much all of the D5512, 31270 and 31110 models are doomed
Hornby have “done the right thing” by its customers even if a bit (lot?) of patience may be required. If a similar situation arises in the future, Hornby (and the others) might be better advised to see the problem for what it is as soon as it shows itself and act more quickly.
Personally, I still feel inclined to be a little philosophical about this. I’ve had 8 years out of my 31. Is that reasonable? Should I contact Hornby because my old model will fall apart one day? Should I expect my models to outlive me? I suspect most of them will.
RP

Edited by Roy P
  • Like 1

I’ve been watching this subject from the side lines while keeping an eye on my D5512. I bought it new in January 2005. It has only recently shown any signs of chassis problems. The front valences are drooping slightly. Quite minor when compared with others seen here but I’m well aware that this won’t get any better.

attachicon.gifDSC_2999.JPG

Clearly this is something that shouldn’t happen but since owning this loco I have replaced a washing machine, a fridge, a cooker, two camcorders, a TV and a car. At what point then do I tell myself that I have had fair service from this item and replace it with a fresh one (possibly a cheap(ish) eBay job and do a body swap while it’s still fundamentally intact)?

If I may be indulged for a moment, I buy a fair bit of broadly pre’68 stuff and my son has post ’68 things in roughly equal number, we have between us well over 200 examples of the locos and units produced over the last 15 years. We have therefore witnessed first-hand many of the described “issues” regarding the quality or otherwise of recent R-T-R products. I try to keep an open mind when reading peoples observations / rants as on the whole I feel I must have been fortunate not to have suffered as much as some. Either that or the “problems” are not always as widespread as we may be led to believe. We have twisted N class 31813, had A1s that couldn’t move themselves, trapped wires parting company the first time a 153 or 2 EPB hit a reverse curve. My favourite was a Princess Royal that would run with any tender other than its own when its tender would run with everything else!

The problems I/we have had are, in percentage terms quite small (my son even has a couple of 4 VEPs that actually move quite nicely) so I have not been keen to get involved in the complaints (or consult my lawyer). Not since the Dapol Pendolino (drive shafts) that so disappointed “little’un” when he was much younger. Pat Hammond published my rant in full on that occasion. All this is strictly off topic of course and I beg your forgiveness for the diversion.

The contaminated Mazak issues are a matter beyond what normal QC would identify but this is a matter in different league from the occasional lemon slipping though the net (Does anyone fish for lemons?). Demonstrably, pretty much all of the D5512, 31270 and 31110 models are doomed

Hornby have “done the right thing” by its customers even if a bit (lot?) of patience may be required. If a similar situation arises in the future, Hornby (and the others) might be better advised to see the problem for what it is as soon as it shows itself and act more quickly.

Personally, I still feel inclined to be a little philosophical about this. I’ve had 8 years out of my 31. Is that reasonable? Should I contact Hornby because my old model will fall apart one day? Should I expect my models to outlive me? I suspect most of them will.

RP

No, it is quite unreasonable to only have 8 years' use out of a model loco, especially given current prices.

My father and I have been collecting model trains for nearly 60 years and the only one that's needed anything more than replacement brushes/remagnetisation is my old Hornby 101 tank where the nylon gears wore out after 28 years!

Has this been fixed now? I just purchased one of the new Railroad 31s and would hate for it to be affected. 

The Railroad 31's won't be affected, they are the old Lima chassis which is plastic.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC_2999.JPG

RP

I've just checked my blue 31 and it looks like your 5512.

So I must photo it now and then get the body off before it cracks.

I take it that getting the body off is quite straight forward?

Kev.

I've just checked my blue 31 and it looks like your 5512.

So I must photo it now and then get the body off before it cracks.

I take it that getting the body off is quite straight forward?

Kev.

Normally getting the body off is straightforward but if the chassis has expanded it is likely to be tight on the body which will need careful easing off. The cab floors will almost certainly break off if not already detached but they're not part of the body. 

• RMweb Gold

Should a locomotive last longer than 8 years? Does an automobile? In this throw away society I would imagine 8 years is not to bad.

My Scooby is 11 years old and shows no sign of falling apart, SWMBO's old Legacy gave up the ghost two weeks ago, but then it was 16.....

It was corrosion that did for it though :lol:

Edited by RedgateModels

Should a locomotive last longer than 8 years? Does an automobile? In this throw away society I would imagine 8 years is not to bad.

Well, the full-size locos were in service for over 40 years (some still in main line use today!).

But bearing in mind that even allowing for inflation some of today's models cost twice or three times what the previous generation of models cost (see one of my posts in the ModelZone thread), I would regard it as a massively backwards step if locos were only expected to last 8 years.

Last new Hornby loco I bought had a note in the instructions saying the motor (as opposed to just the brushes) needed replacing every 100 hours of use. Whilst I didn't send the model back and ask for a refund, it's certainly made me think twice about buying another.

I sent my 31 off to Hornby to have it looked at after noticing the mazak cracking and bulging the buffer beam. I heard nowt for a while but I knew they were waiting for replacement bodies and chassis to be made (Dutch 31110). Decided to email them and ask where it was and they had already sent out a cheque reimbursing me for postage but left a digit off my house number... they resent that first class and gave me a £125 code for their website which I am sure was a fair bit more than the original cost of the loco.! I know mistakes do happen and shouldn't but Hornby were brilliant with their service :)

I sent my 31 off to Hornby to have it looked at after noticing the mazak cracking and bulging the buffer beam. I heard nowt for a while but I knew they were waiting for replacement bodies and chassis to be made (Dutch 31110). Decided to email them and ask where it was and they had already sent out a cheque reimbursing me for postage but left a digit off my house number... they resent that first class and gave me a £125 code for their website which I am sure was a fair bit more than the original cost of the loco.! I know mistakes do happen and shouldn't but Hornby were brilliant with their service :)

If you ring them and say you had a cl31 and would like to have a cl31 they will up-grade you to one of the cl31's they have in stock (currently around £150)

Luke

Well, the full-size locos were in service for over 40 years (some still in main line use today!).

But bearing in mind that even allowing for inflation some of today's models cost twice or three times what the previous generation of models cost (see one of my posts in the ModelZone thread), I would regard it as a massively backwards step if locos were only expected to last 8 years.

Last new Hornby loco I bought had a note in the instructions saying the motor (as opposed to just the brushes) needed replacing every 100 hours of use. Whilst I didn't send the model back and ask for a refund, it's certainly made me think twice about buying another.

I agree... 8yrs or 100hrs is not very reasonable... regardless how you look at it. 

Look at the Wrenn or Doublo items... even a lot of the older Hornby and Lima items from the 1980's... still run strong today with all their original components. 

My Dad has a Hornby Class 47 that, although no longer in regular service, still runs as good today as it did when he first got it (with a little servicing).  And it's almost 35yrs old!

Well full sized loco were not made in China. Things just aren't made like they used to be.  Look at the price of a cell phone, by the end of a 3 year term they are outdated and generally cannot hold much of a charge.  The price to buy one outright though is ludicrous. 

I seriously don't think that 8 years of usage is that bad considering the technology and how things are made. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

So what is the current situation regarding Hornby class 31s with mazak chassis issues?

Do Hornby still replace the chassis block?

Or have they given up on chassis repairs and instead offer a voucher to buy something else?

I'm curious as my 31270 now has issues with the buffer beams and cracks developing in the body. At the moment I think body is recoverable.

If I contact Hornby, i really want the chassis block replaced, because specifically want a BR Blue 31 for the early - mid 1980s period, which is a model that hasn't been in the catalogue for a good few years.

my Hornby 31110 (Dutch) has developed a slightly different problem. the screw lug plastic has corroded away inside the bodyshell and now the screws fall out! chassis seems fine though!

This was a problem seen in the several that I used to own, with at least one per loco breaking.

So what is the current situation regarding Hornby class 31s with mazak chassis issues?

Do Hornby still replace the chassis block?

Or have they given up on chassis repairs and instead offer a voucher to buy something else?

I'm curious as my 31270 now has issues with the buffer beams and cracks developing in the body. At the moment I think body is recoverable.

If I contact Hornby, i really want the chassis block replaced, because specifically want a BR Blue 31 for the early - mid 1980s period, which is a model that hasn't been in the catalogue for a good few years.

Last month I had problems with 31110 ,both chassis and body problems and received a £100 voucher ,{which has to be used on Hornby website,} with covering letter as having no spares or replacements

• RMweb Gold

Last month I had problems with 31110 ,both chassis and body problems and received a £100 voucher ,{which has to be used on Hornby website,} with covering letter as having no spares or replacements

I think that confirms my thoughts, I'm going to retrieve the chassis from my 2, cut out the corroded bits and stick them under a Lima body. I feel yet another project coming on!

Mike.