Heljan 7mm 31 Painted Sample Arrived

brian daniels

If I had to choose then I do like the DJH one, it is there best kit, especially the disc one that I did as 31418 at the start of this workbench thread. It's the depth of the bogie detail that a kit built model scores every time. But give Heljan credit for this 31 as the bogies are done with seperate brake blocks and leaf springs. When you consider the class 47 bogie sideframes were a one piece moulding they have improved a bit.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be pedantic, but was the yellow panel ever applied to D5579 while in golden ochre livery?

Maybe my memory is shot, but I cant recall seeing a photo of it like that.

Attached is not my photo, and if the copyright holder objects then I will remove it pronto, but it illustrates that as delivered there were also no blue star symbols on the white stripes.

Yep - http://www.flickr.com/photos/7541633@N08/6803312529/

Gave this sample a run today on the old Holiday Haunts layout. Does it look better with a bit of scenery round it?

Hi Brian,

Yes it looks much better when viewed in context, and the glazing improves the look of the model no end - lets hope that Heljan carries on with the 'continuous improvement' then we will get a cracking model.

I thought that I liked to look of the DJH 31's better, without wishing to be/sound sycophantic, I particularly liked yours in front of 'A' Shop etc., yet the Heljan seems to be coming along well, if not quite there just yet, depends on how much more fettling Heljan feel inclined to do, how much the tooling can be changed, cost wise etc. etc..

I was wondering if Holiday Haunts was still in one piece - will it ever be exhibited again?

ATVB and thanks for Posting.

CME

I was wondering if Holiday Haunts was still in one piece - will it ever be exhibited again?

It is still in one piece but it won't be going to any exhibitions anymore. It's at Sir William McAlpines private museum/garden railway. I did want to photograph this on "A" Shop but that was locked out of use at the moment.

It is still in one piece but it won't be going to any exhibitions anymore. It's at Sir William McAlpines private museum/garden railway. I did want to photograph this on "A" Shop but that was locked out of use at the moment.

Hi Brian,

That's a shame as the 'A' shop photo would have been great.

I had an invite to that collection once, I was promised it by a magazine publisher, I got all excited, then I never heard anymore :sadclear:

Holiday haunts was a nice layout.

ATB

CME

Brian,

I'm glad you mentioned about the painting of the black rubber windows seals to Heljan - hopefully they can paint them in production neatly to save us struggling to do it ourselves - it will really finish the model off in my eyes as long as they don't do them too thick! It really makes the difference especially on a yellow front end. Their Class 33 had nice black front window seals so hopefully they can do similar here although I think that had a slightly different window set up (the glass was very flush - which is what we need in this Class 31 ideally instead of 5-10 degrees sloping backwards windows which I fear is the present situation).

If you like the 31 in Golden Ochre I see Howes Models in Oxford will consider doing a limited run of it. So if you want one get in touch with them and let them know if there is demand out there. http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/Railways/viewProducts.php?SubCatID=253

I assume/hope the price quoted is the full retail and will be adjusted later?

If you like the 31 in Golden Ochre I see Howes Models in Oxford will consider doing a limited run of it. So if you want one get in touch with them and let them know if there is demand out there. http://www.howesmode...hp?SubCatID=253

I assume/hope the price quoted is the full retail and will be adjusted later?

Great paint job there Brian. That's a very unique and strangely attractive prototype.

It's a shame the 31s didn't make it over to the Western Region until 1969, a bit earlier and I'd have been really tempted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have made a video of it on youtube. Shame I could not fit it with a Howes sound decoder but they are out of stock at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBDqxd8sfnk&feature=youtu.be

I have never realised it before but Its very un-nerving watching a driverless train - It would seem that at this scale a driver or two in the cab would be a necessity :)

• 3 months later...

Unfortunatly they won't be available at Telford, to the best of my knowledge anyway.

Here are a couple of pictures of 5809 in gren with full yellow end. Maybe as with the Golden Ochre 31 if you want a limited edition green with full yellow end get in touch with Heljan or Howes or tell them at Telford. I do not think enough people showed an interest about the Golden Ochre one yet but who knows once you see it in the flesh at Telford enough people might show an interest to make it viable.

Before anyone say's, yes we know the headcode font is wrong! Forgot to say that I painted the cab interior in green with a cream upper. Heljan wil do it in all-over cream for the green locos and light grey for blue era ones.

post-6766-0-09377100-1345034941.jpg

post-6766-0-05602400-1345034947.jpg

post-6766-0-05144100-1345034955.jpg

Archived