Heljan 7mm 31 Painted Sample Arrived

brian daniels

I see there's only 4 Blue central arrow ones left at Blackpool now - seem to have sold like hot cakes - no surprise to me really.

My local Model Shop matched the Tower price, bless 'em, so I was happy to support them instead, and they had to order a second batch as they sold so well, especially the Blue Centre Arrow one. Okay, we're still only talking single figure quantities instead of the amount Tower must sell, but as my Local has had a Deltic on it's shelves for yonks (again matching the Tower price), in comparison the 31 has been much more popular.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Deltic 17,

Which dominoes supplier did you use for the wider version, the locos look fab  thanks

Just thought I'd update a picture of 31278 TE & now 31288 GD with dominoes fitted in the headcode box. 278 deliberately carries the wider dominoes it carried in the late 70's/early 80's. I do like these 31's - still loads to do to detail them further etc....

attachicon.gif1122013 004.JPG

A back dated example from the Heljan model, ie no yellow warning panel,electrification flashes removed and exhaust ports altered for Mirlees engine.Problems from opening the box : gear not engaging on one bogie and motor was moving in its clamp, electrical pickup on one bogie non existent, one flywheel incorrectly fitted causing balance problem, at No1 end only one of the two head code LED's functioning and missing drivers seat at the same end. Tower models supplied missing parts but the owning of a lovely model was spoilt by poor quality control.

Loco now operates perfectly with sound from Howes and via a loksound decoder.

post-5754-0-15391500-1363976883_thumb.jpg

post-5754-0-84861500-1363976944_thumb.jpg

A back dated example from the Heljan model, ie no yellow warning panel,electrification flashes removed and exhaust ports altered for Mirlees engine.Problems from opening the box : gear not engaging on one bogie and motor was moving in its clamp, electrical pickup on one bogie non existent, one flywheel incorrectly fitted causing balance problem, at No1 end only one of the two head code LED's functioning and missing drivers seat at the same end. Tower models supplied missing parts but the owning of a lovely model was spoilt by poor quality control.

attachicon.gifD5537-2a.jpg

Hi MIDAS,

I got totaly fed up with my locos arriving damaged that I now arrange to pick up myself. I watched the Royal Mail bloke literaly throw one of my locos to the ground, and refused to sign and accept delivery. Virtualy everything else that comes by mail order is perfect, but I guess the weight of the loco doesn't  help it to travel well. Also, the words 'Fragile' and 'handle with care' clearly mean nothing.

Your loco looks the business. Picking mine up tomorrow from Ali Pali.

Picked up my loco, looks and sounds great. (Legomanbiffo install) Very pleased I chose green, a tough decision, and if I could afford it, I would definatley buy one in blue.

I did manage to break off a bogie lifeguard when placing the loco on the track. Luckily Heljan provide 4 spares. (My fault for moaning about Royal Mail)

I have a just placed a video on YouTube (my 1st) of my 31 roaming around with sound. Unfortunately, the sound reproduction gets lost in translation, but you get the idea. Also, I have not bothered to show all sound functions.

Rich

attachicon.gifD5537-2a.jpg

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear of the challenges that you have faced with, what outwardly looks, to be a fine model.

I am surprised that none of the mainstream magazines have picked up on the issues with/of slipping gears on the Heljan 7mm locos (or published, as far as I can tell any letters on the subject - of course I wonder if anyone has written in) - which Heljan told us all that this issue had been fixed by the time the Cl33 was released (they havnt as a friend of mine has still had the same problem with his Heljan Cl33).

I have caught sight of the RM 'review' on the Heljan Cl31 which was just a preamble/potted history and a two page spread of very nice photos, yet no substance (other than to refer the reader to an earlier, more ancient, review/article on a Cl31), why is it that modellers of the 4mm scale are treated to a warts and all review for eg. sub £100 loco- in mosts mags - and yet nothing near to the sort is aparent for the likes of 7mm scale locos (which are a bigger investment - 'considered purchase' - and cost many £hundreds)??!

You are bang on the money when you mention QC as and issue with Heljan 7mm scale locos (I have several and of course many friends do too and most have experienced/reported some sort of QC issue with their locos) it is exactly that - the question on my mind is this down the Denmark or China? Either way, at this price point (even with discounted pricing) such is unacceptable and IMHHO such shows a certain amount of contempt towards the customer on the part of the manufacturer.

I hope that yours is running well now - cracking looking loco.

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

The gears were not slipping the motor clamp was not holding the motor tight enough to stop it  moving upward pulling the gear out of mesh. Apparently I was not the only one with this problem or with the missing drivers seat. It would mean taking of the body to see these problems so I suggest China rather than Denmark. Tower models were very helpful and I now have a box of spares as I was sent a complete sprue of parts just for one seat. All the other stuff was easily fixable its just annoying when out of the box it did not run properly. My other Heljan loco's 20,26,33,37 and 47 have worked impeccably. The 26 was received numbered and sound chipped and operating in an exhibition within 4 days of being informed it was in the country and being dispatched. I have 2 30/31 kits to build so I have a standard that I need to build to as the body is great and it now runs superbly.

Terry

Hi CME,

The gears were not slipping the motor clamp was not holding the motor tight enough to stop it  moving upward pulling the gear out of mesh. Apparently I was not the only one with this problem or with the missing drivers seat. It would mean taking of the body to see these problems so I suggest China rather than Denmark. Tower models were very helpful and I now have a box of spares as I was sent a complete sprue of parts just for one seat. All the other stuff was easily fixable its just annoying when out of the box it did not run properly. My other Heljan loco's 20,26,33,37 and 47 have worked impeccably. The 26 was received numbered and sound chipped and operating in an exhibition within 4 days of being informed it was in the country and being dispatched. I have 2 30/31 kits to build so I have a standard that I need to build to as the body is great and it now runs superbly.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Glad to hear that your problems are all resolved. :-)

I agree the likes of Tower and Howes are very helpful, superb in fact, just a shame that slipshod workmanship and poor QC is left for the retailers to pick-up the pieces let alone the customer having to fix such, it wouldnt happen (a customer fixing the faulty product) with a high street product such as a Hi-Fi or TV....

My comments were made as an open critique of the manufacturer - some of the retailers dont like having to deal with them, because of the issues (and others I have mentioned). It still seems to me that, in some regards, RTR 7mm scale products are still somewhat under par.

It is such a shame to hear that - after, Brian Daniels wonderful input on getting the model to look right - several have QC/running problems, I wonder what Heljan's 'accepted failure rate' is, as that may provide the answer, ie. that such examples of QC issues are indeed 'acceptable' even if they do cause the customer inconvience (which BTW breaches statutory rights).

I notice in the RM 'review' that one of the fly-wheels in their Cl31 sample is fitted upside down! LOL, will it never end?! LOL!! RM refer the reader back to an article in RM from 1997 (the reader can purchase a copy of such) seems that pretty piccies and 'sound-bites' rule LOL!

I see, though, that there is a pretty good review in Hornby Magazine (Issue 70 April 2013), still not sure if those fly-wheels are poorly fitted (one upside down) I shall have to look at my Heljans when next of a mind to :O :scratchhead: :dontknow:

Glad to hear that your other Heljan models have worked well, sadly this isnt the same for quite a few other customers. I know one fellow, that, after a very short period of time, all of his Heljans, with very little running, all had gearbox failures (slipping gears), he has now, after repairing them, sold the lot (3-4?) and gone back to kit building!

Glad to see and hear that your Cl31 is sorted now though.

Enjoy!!

ATVB

CME.

• 1 month later...

Thanks BT4

And Domino dots?

I'm pushing it I know, but it seems all the post-Tops are out of stock...

Randall

Thanks BT4

And Domino dots?

I'm pushing it I know, but it seems all the post-Tops are out of stock...

Randall

I doubt it but you may be lucky.

Anyways here is a link to a double arrow tops 31

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5557568379/sizes/o/in/photostream/

• 1 year later...

Archived