Heljan 7mm 31 Painted Sample Arrived

brian daniels

Yep - doesn't look right at all does it?

Cheers

Jim

Well it comes very very close, as far as I'm concerned.

For something that certainly doesn't look at all right.... seen on Ebay recently, advertised as

"Lima O scale 33 converted to Class 37 ish..."

KGrHqFHJEgFD26fcvcLBRZ1O8Iqw60_58_zps19e

The indignities some of those old Lima 33s have had to suffer.... :rolleyes: :D

Tower is small fry compared to Hattons. It's just Hattons don't buy as much O gauge stuff... yet! But Hatton's prices are much more favourable, so over time I'm sure things will change. Think HMV, Jessops vs internet sellers.

Cheers

Tom

Yes - you are 100% right there Tom - I was trying to say Hattons were a smaller retailer of O guage but I didn't make it 100% clear - I agree Hattons is a massive model railway operation overall - on this occasion I used Liverpool as opposed to Blackpool due to the price as you say.

I'm also a bit confused with the 'limited edition' phrase used by Heljan on the class 31 - obviously sounds like they've made less?? but this was always going to be a popular engine and they would with certainty sell more of these than say the class 26. It will be interesting to see what it says on the limited edition certificate 1 out of 500? / 1000? - I noted Blackpool were saying the limited edition green class 31 hasn't got many left.

Well it comes very very close, as far as I'm concerned.

For something that certainly doesn't look at all right.... seen on Ebay recently, advertised as

"Lima O scale 33 converted to Class 37 ish..."

KGrHqFHJEgFD26fcvcLBRZ1O8Iqw60_58_zps19e

The indignities some of those old Lima 33s have had to suffer.... :rolleyes: :D

That conversion is laughable - is it a class 37 or is it is a 45/46 or is it a Deltic!! - the answer of course is neither - I trust it was up for £0.99p!!!

Yes - you are 100% right there Tom - I was trying to say Hattons were a smaller retailer of O guage but I didn't make it 100% clear - I agree Hattons is a massive model railway operation overall - on this occasion I used Liverpool as opposed to Blackpool due to the price as you say.

I'm also a bit confused with the 'limited edition' phrase used by Heljan on the class 31 - obviously sounds like they've made less?? but this was always going to be a popular engine and they would with certainty sell more of these than say the class 26. It will be interesting to see what it says on the limited edition certificate 1 out of 500? / 1000? - I noted Blackpool were saying the limited edition green class 31 hasn't got many left.

Good move :yes: As far as the 'limited edition' phrase goes I'd have thought it's just marketing. They're not as limited as the different livery options that Tower commission.

Cheers

Tom

Antics have a few snaps of them on their website, with a link to a few more "on test" on the local 0 gauge mob's test track:

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1238_1_106722922.html

Will have to go in and have a look for myself at some point this week, my suspicion is that a dash of extra yellow on the ends will make quite a difference to the appearance. I'm sure it won't be long until someone does as such...

I agree overall it looks good - I'm BR blue too central logo - it's a shame they have not painted the 3 metal front handrails on each end as they should be yellow- it can easily be done - the headcode font is not good although mine will be converted to a domino so no problem for me. The rubbers on the front cab windows are a bit thin/slightly patchy here and there but could be modified slightly. Atleast they are on there after earlier discussions on this thread. As discussed above I think a fraction of yellow paint is needed touching in near the waistband although very marginal once viewed in the flesh. A cab handrail dropped off mine so be careful everyone - can easily be fastened back.

Yes please, do post some pictures. I don't get mine for a little while as Tower Models are numbering it for me so would be nice to see what I am getting with a production version.

I had a look at Brian's at the Bristol show which was a pre-production version and I thought it looked good.

Some images of my 31278:- numbered today!

post-8300-0-93303900-1360020151.jpg

post-8300-0-78016300-1360020186.jpg

post-8300-0-82930700-1360020216.jpg

post-8300-0-39456700-1360020240.jpg

post-8300-0-33535800-1360020266.jpg

Overall the 31 looks pretty good in the flesh but the yellow end needs painting in a fraction (small but noticeable) on both left hand ends (driver's corners) especially around the waistband and tapers up and down. The right hand corner is fine! Shouldn't be too tricky but not ideal! Front end handrails need painting yellow (certainly on blue/yellow ones).

There are no dominoes in my box as far as I can see F-UnitMad!

Also the black rubber window surrounds are pretty thin and ideally should be thicker - now there's a tricky job for those discerning amongst us!

No worries... what decals did you use for the numbers? They look a very neat job!

Thank you! - I've used Replica Railways (rub-down) transfers 01793 642594 - the only problem is they ran out of them about a year ago & have since removed them from their website - luckily for me I'd bought a lot of sheets as a backups for future projects. The last I heard there were supply problems in the USA - but I believe there are going to be some more produced at some point but not sure when.

Very nice and decent TE machine for us Western modellers to get enthused about. I see what you mean about the slight slope on the yellow, will enquire if the pre-prod samples were like that. For some reason as I said earlier Heljan just do their own thing when it comes to headcodes. Will try and get them to put dominoes in later models but the next ones, 52/disc 40 and 60 don't really need them!

Brian - I am right in thinking that the headcode 'glass' comes out from the front with a knife blade underneath? - it's about time I made some dominoes for 31278 - the plan is it will have the wider dominoes it carried late 70's/early 80's. I can't stand looking at the unusual font on 1A92 for much longer!

Thank you! - I've used Replica Railways (rub-down) transfers 01793 642594 - the only problem is they ran out of them about a year ago & have since removed them from their website - luckily for me I'd bought a lot of sheets as a backups for future projects. The last I heard there were supply problems in the USA - but I believe there are going to be some more produced at some point but not sure when.

Hi,

I have some packs of these to use and they look to be superb, Gareth (RR) told me, back last May, that there were problems with supply, only wish that I had purchased more now!

Knowing the chaps at RR, they will persever in sourcing a new supplier though.

Love what you are doing to your Cl31 BTW. ;) :yes:

I see that Heljan a have reworked the windows(?), yet I hope no one minds me saying, but I would rather that they had left them as they were and someone like Shawplan did an after-market replacement. Sorry to say but the windows/surrounds now look a little strange to me? :scratchhead:  I hope that makes sense.......I'll get me coat :senile:

I fail to understand why when Heljan have someone like Brian to help, and other qaulified help from here, they still choose to plough their own furrow - by and large a nice model nevertheless.

Keep up the good work.

ATVB

CME

They have not changed anything with the windows. To improve on the front rubbers when you have the body off you could push the front windows out and paint the inside edge black, think that will cure the thin black rubber. When you have the body off if you look at the headcode box inside there is a small gap that I think you can get a poky thing into and push the headcode glazing out from inside, better than trying a knife on the lovely finish outside. I think that's what I did, but saying that I did take the lighting out completely later. Try a cocktail stick or similar first though through the little gap.

post-6766-0-28047000-1360095355.jpg

They have not changed anything with the windows. To improve on the front rubbers when you have the body off you could push the front windows out and paint the inside edge black, think that will cure the thin black rubber. When you have the body off if you look at the headcode box inside there is a small gap that I think you can get a poky thing into and push the headcode glazing out from inside, better than trying a knife on the lovely finish outside. I think that's what I did, but saying that I did take the lighting out completely later. Try a cocktail stick or similar first though through the little gap.

Hi Brian,

An optical illusion then....that can be the issue with photo's on t'internet! :O :D

I think that your ideas (above) with ref to the window 'rubbers' will help the 'look' tremendously. :sungum: :yes:

ATVB

CME

Very nice, thanks.

Looking forward to getting my green small yellow panel version.

Will get the Loksound V4 XL for it next week.

Hi,

I'm also going for same livery. Should look great with very heavy weathering once I get my airbrush back from repair.

Whos version of  decoder will you be fitting? Can you let us know how it sounds? 

Mine is being supplied and installed by DC Kits (Legomanbiffo project). Most of my others are from SWD and Howes most of which which I have installed my self. Biffs projects sound so good, I thought  I would try to get the best sound by having it fitted by the chap who created the project.

Rich 

Hi Rich,

I will be going with SWD for mine.

I don't yet have my 31 as its been numbered by Tower Models for me but once it arrives and I can get around to fitting the decoder and speakers I will do a little video for you.

Look forward to it!!

I have been pleased with the SWD decoders, although mine are all on V3.5

Rich

Archived