Heljan 7mm 31 Painted Sample Arrived

brian daniels

Here is pre-production model number 2 painted in Golden Ochre as D5579. Thankfully we managed to find an old jar of Railmatch paint as they do not do Golden Ochre anymore.

I have put the tail lights back in the right way round and glued the lampbrackets up the right way. I filed a bit off the front windows and got them to fit a lot better in the frames. I did not paint the window rubbers where we have them!) as I found them very finely moulded and I doubted my ability to make a good job of it to be honest. I painted the side windows surround black though! and the bars behind in grey. A bit of weathering would bring that underframe up a treat but it's not my model. I made the paper headcodes up with Fox transfers. I believe the model will have a headcode fitted but the headcode glazing will be removable to change it although there will not be a sheet in the box like their earlier ones. The headcode glazing was a very tight fit though, as it has to be a force fit, I had to use a knife blade inside to push the glazing of from the back.

All in all I think it looks very good and I am sure they will be good in the factory finish.

All these little issues have been passed on by the way.

post-6766-0-55661400-1333373901.jpg

post-6766-0-68999300-1333373909.jpg

post-6766-0-85600700-1333373917.jpg

post-6766-0-25374400-1333373925.jpg

post-6766-0-92055000-1333373928.jpg

post-6766-0-88742900-1333373935.jpg

post-6766-0-07671500-1333373940.jpg

post-6766-0-47687000-1333373944.jpg

post-6766-0-49906300-1333373948.jpg

That colour really suits the 31.

Personally I think it looks perfectly hideous... but that's just my opinion, of course - plenty will feel the same about BR Blue!! :rolleyes: :D

The glazing is a vast improvement, for certain! ...and has the 'porthole'/gauge by the water filer steps been tweaked as well..? It looks better than on the previous model, somehow....

I agree F-UnitMad - the port hole / guage looks better in size doesn't it.

Those tail lamps look very 'RED' - they should be a very,very dark red like on all the previous models shouldn't they - or was this something on the golden ochre ones? unlikely? Interesting you've filed the windows Brian but why can't Heljan get them the right size in the first place - can't be too tricky these days - it would be nice if that could be sorted.

Does that headcode box push in from the front Brian? - I notice on this model the 'glass' seems more flush as it should be - on the previous model you painted blue it seemed to sit a bit proud which concerned me at the time.

Glazing does look better now I agree.

All we need now is for them to complete the rubbers around the front cab windows as prev. discussed.

That's a nice paint job Brian. Sadly the cab/face of the model doesn't look any better than the previous model to me. It's hard to say specifically what is wrong but when compared to pics of the prototype it just doesn't seem even close.

Tom

It's hard to say specifically what is wrong but when compared to pics of the prototype it just doesn't seem even close.

Each to their own, of course, but I don't think it's that bad.... especially if it's so hard to define exactly where it looks wrong....

Possibly the very slight curve across the face is still missing? I know one thing - I wouldn't be able to scratchbuild a better job....

As for the rivets, I note that in one of the latest Mags, Pete Waterman has an article on his Diesel fleet. Prominent is a Class 31. Equally prominent were the rivets along the lower body. It can't be a Heljan model, and JLTRT don't do a 31... so who's kit is it?

That's a nice paint job Brian. Sadly the cab/face of the model doesn't look any better than the previous model to me. It's hard to say specifically what is wrong but when compared to pics of the prototype it just doesn't seem even close.

Tom

The top of the cab face looks like it's been pushed in.

The front windows and cantrail should have a slight curvature, but from the pictures it look flat. Also the headcode box is to prominent causing it to come all the way down to cantrail level.

It's difficult to say without seeing it in the flesh and my worry is, if they try to fix it, the model could end up looking worse.

I know nothing about Brush 2's, but looking at the model, that's my thoughts.

Sorry, but hope it helps.

Trevor

I think the 31 that Pete Waterman had was an MMP one but must admit I have not seen the article.

I must admit I am not too keen on this livery but just thought we would give it a go as I have not seen another 7mm 31 in this colour.

I thought this was the best model Heljan have done to date with all the subtle curves on the bodyside and cab.

Maybe part of the problem with the glazing being a bit tight in the holes is that bing designed on a computer the tolerances can be very tight whereas you should allow a little bit extra for the thickness of the paint?

I can asure you that the body will not get anymore work done to the shape of it, only to the details if required.

The boiler filler gauge is recessed on this unlike the first sample wher it sat "on the body" so to speak.

yet another great paint job Brian.

Could the answer to the comments above regarding looks be down to the applied colour - it is a pity that identical models could not be painted in green and blue, without any other detailing than has been done to this model and then see what the comments might be?

cheers

Mike

Looking very promising indeed. Good work Heljan, and Brian! Cab interiors are a huge step forward compared to their earlier releases. Hopefully the bufferbeam cowling will be removable! My only possible gripe would be that the cab front radius looks a bit square. Certainly have one anyway, hopefully they'll do a refurbished version too. .

Without looking very closely into details about which I have no knowledge, this looks like a very nice model indeed! I remember the first time I saw the real thing - about the only diesel I 'copped' from nearly a mile away, without seeing the number! (I never saw the Fell!!)

What a beautifully painted model!

Oh dear! Both Heljan and Dapol are providing strong temptation for a major clear-out and change of scale, but with some eyesight and fine co-ordination problems, I'm in a dilemna! Because of the larger size and finer detail on the individual models, does 0 Gauge modelling require very fine detailling on everything - scenery, buildings, people, accessories? N Gauge, from 'normal' viewing distances of a couple of metres or so, it's an overall impression that makes the impact, not the individual daisies! I suppose it's down to questions of exactly which aspects of railway modelling are the most satisfying to the individual!

Richard

I thought I'd lost this photo of D5580 / 31 162 taken at Toddington, then I remembered I'd posted it on my flickr page ages ago so I've retrieved it and put it here...

post-7638-0-71779300-1333448415_thumb.jpg

To my eyes there is a very subtle curve across the top of the cab windows and the model does look a bit 'flat' in this area... I guess it's all a bit subjective though, as others have alluded to further up the thread. Overall I think it's a very impressive model, nice work on the paint job Brian ;) .

As with the Heljan 7mm 47 I'll wager it looks even better in the flesh than it does in two dimensional pictures, something that certainly hit home the first time I laid eyes on Brian's nicely weathered green / full yellow ends 47 in the glass cabinet at Howes Of Oxford last year... my first thought was 'wow!', followed by a closer inspection of the often talked about front windscreen shape which looked pretty damned good.

Back to the 31 - Brian's last pic of it in profile in post #77 looks spot on, and the fact that it's in 'as built' condition makes it all the more appealing... a nice early WR one in pre-Tops blue would be easy to do, Old Oak's 5530 would be a doddle or the same shed's ETH fitted 5842. Although these two examples were kept quite clean when in blue livery, I can't help thinking that all those grilles, windows and panel lines would lend themselves to some carefully applied weathering here and there.

The top of the cab face looks like it's been pushed in.

The front windows and cantrail should have a slight curvature, but from the pictures it look flat. Also the headcode box is to prominent causing it to come all the way down to cantrail level.

It's difficult to say without seeing it in the flesh and my worry is, if they try to fix it, the model could end up looking worse.

I know nothing about Brush 2's, but looking at the model, that's my thoughts.

Sorry, but hope it helps.

Trevor

Hi Brian,

The mould lines of the headcode box in your first picture running down to cantrail level don't help the appearance of the front end and I'm sure a couple of strokes with sandpaper would rectify this, although under normal viewing conditions it probably wouldn't even be noticed.

I'm not out to be critical of the loco and think Heljan have done an excellent job. Close up photos being two dimensional always bring the worse out in a loco and I'm sure seeing the actual model will give the wow factor!

Trevor.

Does that headcode box push in from the front Brian? - I notice on this model the 'glass' seems more flush as it should be - on the previous model you painted blue it seemed to sit a bit proud which concerned me at the time.

Forgot to say earlier that the first blue sample the headcode box was not put together very well whereas this one has the same bits but a much better fit. I did think the first sample was put together in a hurry as there was glue everywhere. This one was much better. The glazing should pop out with a knife blade from the front but even I would be wary of doing that as the gazing is quite a tight fit. I managed to get a knife blade down the front of the illumination box in the cab and give the glazing a small push out from the rear

The cab interior is really nice on this loco. The model will be painted in cream for the green model and grey for the blue ones but bare in mind it will be a base colour without all the details picked out in seperate colours like I did here (got to leave you something to do!)

It would benefit from a nice bit of weathering in the grills but if I did that then someone would think their model should be "weathered" as well even though this is a pre-production custom painted model.

Each to their own, of course, but I don't think it's that bad.... especially if it's so hard to define exactly where it looks wrong....

Possibly the very slight curve across the face is still missing? I know one thing - I wouldn't be able to scratchbuild a better job....

As for the rivets, I note that in one of the latest Mags, Pete Waterman has an article on his Diesel fleet. Prominent is a Class 31. Equally prominent were the rivets along the lower body. It can't be a Heljan model, and JLTRT don't do a 31... so who's kit is it?

I think that it's a DJH kit as those had fairly prominent bolts/rivet detail on the lower body side....

Forgot to say earlier that the first blue sample the headcode box was not put together very well whereas this one has the same bits but a much better fit. I did think the first sample was put together in a hurry as there was glue everywhere. This one was much better. The glazing should pop out with a knife blade from the front but even I would be wary of doing that as the gazing is quite a tight fit. I managed to get a knife blade down the front of the illumination box in the cab and give the glazing a small push out from the rear

The cab interior is really nice on this loco. The model will be painted in cream for the green model and grey for the blue ones but bare in mind it will be a base colour without all the details picked out in seperate colours like I did here (got to leave you something to do!)

It would benefit from a nice bit of weathering in the grills but if I did that then someone would think their model should be "weathered" as well even though this is a pre-production custom painted model.

Hi Brian,

Nice work as always, not my fav colour though :mosking:

Lets hope for a continuation of Heljan's 'continuous improvement' of it's models prior to release.

Will they be paying more attention to getting rid of 'flash' prior to painting?

How do you think it compares to the DJH version when finished/painted?

ATVB

CME

Looks superb, as ever Brian. Perhaps the only thing I would play around with is running some black paint or a marker pen around the moulded window rubbers, then I think it would look pretty spot on. That aside I have to agree with you, this has got to be up there in their best 0 gauge offering to date. I look forward to the release of this. Dare I say it but for your next attempt you need to give the model an overhaul and repaint into an ice cream van livery! ;-)

Martyn

Sounds like a good idea that Martyn, it works well on 4mm diesels.

Picked up Model Rail #168 this morning and had a quick skim through a mate's Rail Express Mag too, their photos of Brian's hand painted blue 5682 look great, particularly so the REX one B)

Not seen either of these mags so can't comment on what pictures they used. But you saw it here first on RMweb :declare:

I did think about doing the rubbers black but my black pen is a bit too thick for the job. I have mentioned it to Heljan that they might find it difficult to paint them black as the rubbers are very fine.

Not seen either of these mags so can't comment on what pictures they used. But you saw it here first on RMweb :declare:

I did think about doing the rubbers black but my black pen is a bit too thick for the job. I have mentioned it to Heljan that they might find it difficult to paint them black as the rubbers are very fine.

Hi Brian,

Any thoughts on the DJH/Heljan 31 comparison - which is your fav?

ATVB

CME

Archived