Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Put simply, I don't have an infinite amount of time available. It takes a lot more time and effort to produce a fully worked up kit, the easy bit is producing and selling the etched parts.

In the last 18 years we have expanded from nothing to a range of more than 50 kits, we have also done many of these in different scales - and this isn't even my full time job.

The range of "etches only" grew out of my selling off (via RMweb actually) some spare etches which I had produced for my own use and this promptly snowballed into a significant part of Judith's business. While there is a demand for these etches we will keep on supplying them.

Thank you for the answer, Michael. I confess, it was pure curiousity on my part. You are a very prolific creator of kits and hope you continue to be so for many years to come. Thank you for everything you do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As an aside to the discussion on the Stanier 2-6-2 I have updated my workbook with the extra information on bunker strengthening that was added later in their lives. 

Also from Flickr I have put together a gallery of those found on there. A gallery of Stanier 2-6-2 tanks (96 as at 2nd April 2020)

These were done to help me with my desire for an accurate model and hopefully others to get more accurate models of these pretty, if poor performing tanks

Stanier 262 tanks details update.xls.xlsx

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff Duncan. Thank you for taking the time to put this resource together and for making it available.:good_mini:

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 65179 said:

Great stuff Duncan. Thank you for taking the time to put this resource together and for making it available.:good_mini:

Simon

Your welcome Simon, it seemed daft to have done all that and then not share it. Its going to be great seeing all these Stanier tanks being built over the coming months, even if they could not in reality pull the skin off a rice pudding.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2020 at 08:32, t-b-g said:

Hello Mike. If you have a list for the C14 I would love to have my name on it for 4mm and 7mm scales if it could be done in both. Another lovely GCR loco to add to the kit drawer!

I presume you have scrounged the chimney and dome from the spares box. They look close but to me they don't  quite capture the appearance of the real thing as well as the rest of the loco. I know time is a big factor but with your turning ability, I am sure you could get them much better.

I know it is considered poor form to quote your own post but I would just like to point out that I have just found the 7mm C14 I obtained some time last year! The old memory isn't what it used to be!

But I would still like a 4mm one as and when they appear.

Tony.

• Like 1

I’m down for a C14 in 4mm when they become available. I would be quite happy at purchasing it as an ‘etches only’ kit, as the various castings are generally available from other suppliers. Paul Barker (Stevenson carriages)  for example seems to do quite a few GCR bits, as I got a set of white metal castings at a very good price to complete my N5 etched only kit. It would appear much of the bits from the N5 would also suit a C14. Gibson, 247 etc ranges also worth looking at.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2020 at 11:08, clowe999 said:

I’m down for a C14 in 4mm when they become available. I would be quite happy at purchasing it as an ‘etches only’ kit, as the various castings are generally available from other suppliers. Paul Barker (Stevenson carriages)  for example seems to do quite a few GCR bits, as I got a set of white metal castings at a very good price to complete my N5 etched only kit. It would appear much of the bits from the N5 would also suit a C14. Gibson, 247 etc ranges also worth looking at.

More details of your N5 bits, please!

• RMweb Premium

The LNER C14 (it's getting confusing, moving on to building an LSW C14 now) is in the paintshop now, i wanted to see how the cab roof had worked out.

IMG_0770.JPG.daf047cf6a403475fa960d4d71478840.JPG

Looks very smooth and reasonably well formed, it's very difficult to see without a coat of primer.

IMG_0771.JPG.dfa215b0494c58c1d9ad41fc1eba5fe4.JPG

Not enough light here but it is possible to see that the roof has the correct shape inside as well. I've put the ventilator on closed but the centre part has the hole etched in it so it would be possible to model it open.

Plenty of interest in this but I have to repeat that we can't do anything about production until everyone else gets back to work.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I found (after much searching) the other test etch for the Stone-Faiveley pantograph so my AL1 now has two pans as built.

IMG_0775.JPG.dd2c30b790a7a4c445fe2a6a307dba5a.JPG

The second one (on the right here in the down position) was built slightly differently, mostly in the way I altered the etches for the support frame.

IMG_0773.JPG.50ce33ea09f9845e731718f8a9aa7a9c.JPG

I've now found a way of adding the additional linkage which keeps the head level. I can't work out from drawings or photos of exactly how this is pivoted but this gives a good impression of it. It needs to be there even if it doesn't work since it's quite clearly visible. A small vertical dropper (chopped off some spare brake gear) is added to the centre of the head with .3mm wire through the hole. The other end is simply passed through the space under the knuckle assembly.

IMG_0776.JPG.752d3fab253eb3c17d5008c412cbcada.JPG

In the down position this extra link conveniently hooks under the end of the wire forming the parallel link. This important for the early electrics because when they had two pans only the trailing one was raised.

I'll probably do another test etch including components for the air motor and get this into production as soon as we can. The moving parts of this proved relatively easy to design, most of the difficulties have been in arranging the fold up/overlay parts for the frame.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I found (after much searching) the other test etch for the Stone-Faiveley pantograph so my AL1 now has two pans as built.

IMG_0775.JPG.dd2c30b790a7a4c445fe2a6a307dba5a.JPG

The second one (on the right here in the down position) was built slightly differently, mostly in the way I altered the etches for the support frame.

IMG_0773.JPG.50ce33ea09f9845e731718f8a9aa7a9c.JPG

I've now found a way of adding the additional linkage which keeps the head level. I can't work out from drawings or photos of exactly how this is pivoted but this gives a good impression of it. It needs to be there even if it doesn't work since it's quite clearly visible. A small vertical dropper (chopped off some spare brake gear) is added to the centre of the head with .3mm wire through the hole. The other end is simply passed through the space under the knuckle assembly.

IMG_0776.JPG.752d3fab253eb3c17d5008c412cbcada.JPG

In the down position this extra link conveniently hooks under the end of the wire forming the parallel link. This important for the early electrics because when they had two pans only the trailing one was raised.

I'll probably do another test etch including components for the air motor and get this into production as soon as we can. The moving parts of this proved relatively easy to design, most of the difficulties have been in arranging the fold up/overlay parts for the frame.

Put me on the waiting list for a pair please Mike.

• Like 1

Mike - When the 7mm S-F pantograph becomes available as a kit I could really do with a few for my class 309/1 set kits. Could you keep me in mind please?

Arun

Edited by Arun Sharma

Hopefully it might not be too long till you get the etches for the 3P Roger and just to tickle your tastebuds here is what I've managed so far.

1844192002_3Pboiler.JPG.d652e924b66cc9c894ee4aca137bdf04.JPG

The blue/black mark on the boiler is from annealing the metal for rolling on the electric cooker ring for a few minutes, it will polish off no problem. I've added a few details of my own like the cab bunker details, the washout plugs and the half round beading.

I'm enjoying the challenge and things have gone okay so far.

Dave.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3