Model rail 138 December

grahame

Pardon my french but - Anybody else bought the mag for the DVD and instead received a French audio CD in its place?

I kid you not. My copy of the DVD has the correct label picture stamp but actually contains an audio CD of "Paris en Chansons (Wagram) Disc 2". Not a sign of 'Model Rail Experience 2009'.

Perhaps this is a very rare item sure to fetch ??500 on Ebay, or perhaps not ;-)

This then leads on to my asking - where can I get a correct replacement at no cost to myself?

I live in Bridlington and the newsagent I bought it from had the last copy.

• RMweb Gold

Going off a hazy memory but think I read before that the proper term was 'Nightstock' and that Nightstar was something of an assumption made due to the similar name of Eurostar. I may be totally wrong of course!

Most of the time we simply referred to it as 'ENS' although the terms 'Night Stock' (in respect of the rolling stock) and 'Nightstar' (in respect of a potential brand name) were about at various times. But I am sure most 'outsiders' are most likely to call it 'Nightstar' if I mentioned ENS to most peopel I doubt they would have a clue what I was talking about unless the conversation was already centred around the train.

I like Model Rail, but there are times it realy winds me up, I see in this issue that it shows you how to make a Eurostar Cafe car.....

The thing I found odd about this article was that there are no pictures whatsoever of the actual modelling project. Even Railway Modeller in the mid-90s at least had a small photo of the finished model.

I had a problem with my DVD

I sent the following email to the address on the DVD sleeve (modelrail@bauermedia.co.uk)

I am having a little problem with the cover DVD from the December Issue.

The DVD when inserted into my laptop vibrates like crazy emitting a sound

not dissimilar to my electric jigsaw. My wife isn't too happy as it is

spoiling her enjoyment of dross on the tellybox.

Would it be possible for me to get hold of a better balanced copy as I

have read good reports on the DVD contents on the RMWeb Internet forum?

Thanks in advance .....

Sadly the email bounced as undeliverable

Tried again in the morning and again the next day thinking they may have email problems

Both bounced.

Fixed the problem by making a copy of the DVD onto new media.

Anybody else have DVD problems?

What also concerned me was the small print "To minimise any risk to your data, back up your hard disk before loading this DVD"

Is this a normal precaution?

Cheers

More usual is something like "although we have checked this disk for viruses/malware we take no responsibility for problems caused by its use.." but its basically a common legal getout clause.

The thing I found odd about this article was that there are no pictures whatsoever of the actual modelling project. Even Railway Modeller in the mid-90s at least had a small photo of the finished model.

Id agree with that, yet elsewhere in the mag there are plenty of photos explaining how to ballast

I can PROBABLY arrange to replace faulty DVDs until our office stock runs out.

You'll need to e-mail me your name and full postal address.

In order to provide 'proof of purchase' please also look at page 5 of the mag and tell me what I want for Christmas!

Just returned from the Hornby press preview. Lots of good things for 2010 - se the next Model Rail on 30 December.

No, there's no B*** P***man!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Is there much point to an embargo this year? Model Rail will be going to press shortly with the information, and hitting the shelves on 30th Dec - subscribers getting their copies a few days earlier - possibly even before christmas?!

Hornby info goes live on their website at 00.01 on Christmas day. Simon is aware that some copies of MR may be in circulation before that and he's OK with that. However, it would be a rather different thing for me to break a confidence by going public now. I can say, there ARE new locos, coaches and wagons, and it's a good programme which looks forward to the end of the recession with optimism.

CHRIS LEIGH

Is there much point to an embargo this year? Model Rail will be going to press shortly with the information, and hitting the shelves on 30th Dec - subscribers getting their copies a few days earlier - possibly even before christmas?!

I believe Hornby are releasing their 2010 plans just after Santa has dropped your presents off at 12:01am, Christmas day.

Thats what it says on their website.

Generally a good issue. I was particularly pleased with the lining guide as I have a couple of locos I wish to try lining. I had planned to add the straight lines first then the corners. Once I saw the step-by-step guide I could see why the corners first was much better. This is just the sort of thing I like.

Yes, I usually make a point of raising the subject of the Blue Pullman during the meeting. It has become a bit of an in joke! The very encouraging sales of certain multiple units in recent months, and the clear success of Hornby's Pullman cars, suggests to me that one could do worse than bring together the table lamp technology and a nice looking unit, so I'd do either the Brighton Belle or a Blue Pullman. Can you imagine how good either of them would look if done to modern standards.

I've had some successes with my suggestions - the Class 153 (after about 4 years) and this coming year there will be something else that I suggested several years ago. I'm not suggesting that I can sway anything, merely that it doesn't do any harm to put forward things which I know modellers want. Hornby sometimes respond to a well dropped hint!

CHRIS LEIGH

Two items didn't surprise me at all, another was a very nice surprise but perhaps not entirely unexpected, and two more were complete 'curved balls' - although neither of them is interesting to me, personally, I'm sure they will be to lots of people.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived