Model rail 138 December

grahame

To play the same tune the magazine can not use thicker paper in the binding process that is used they can go to perfect binding like RM and BRM but there is cost reason this was covered on the old forum. The price increase for this issue is fair for the DVD that is added on to it. A good issue for me

• RMweb Gold

To play the same tune the magazine can not use thicker paper in the binding process that is used they can go to perfect binding like RM and BRM but there is cost reason this was covered on the old forum. The price increase for this issue is fair for the DVD that is added on to it. A good issue for me

There's another problem with perfect binding - any plans (or pictures that go across the centre fold" would be difficult to use.

i would just like to thank the team at modelrail for producing a great mag .i have been in to model railways for about 4 years and have nearly all the back issues.i find the information so useful.i think chris leigh should be honoured for all the work he has done in railway world.keep up the good work.

• RMweb Gold

I have yet to find one as well. Could be some distribution problems ?

What do you expect - it's Smith's!

Seriously though, on a number of occasions, I've often found my local Smith's (Cwmbran) to be minus a number of major magazines - in a number of different areas.

These magazines have included - Model Railroader - Railway Modeller - Continental Modeller - and Computer Arts - strangely enough, it usually seems to affect the issues where there's been something interesting in the magazines.

On another occasion, all their copies of Elektor Electronics were missing a free circuit board - unfortunately, most of the articles in that particular issue were written around this circuit board!

The bit that always gets me when this happens is them claiming not to have received them - even a fortnight after they were supposed to be on the shelves.

When I ask if they can check, one of two things seems to happen:

1. A copy of the magazine miraculously appears from behind the scenes - followed by dozens more the next day.
  2. They claim to have "sold out" - usually a few days before the magazines were supposed to have gone on sale. This bleat is sometimes followed by them saying that the next issue is due in a few weeks - and asking if this would be an acceptable alternative - NO IT WOULD NOT!!

Like a lot of people here, I'm after specific issues of these magazines - because they cover specific topics - the next one will cover different ground, which might not be of interest.

I've always had mixed views about Smith's - a bit like train companies really. Most of the time, things turn up more or less as expected - when they don't, it seems like they just don't want to know.

The real shame is that a lot of customers - and a number of small suppliers - seem to end up as innocent victims of this nonsense - and it's just not good enough.

Anyway, that's the end of the rant - I'm sure we'd all like to get back to the trains.

Regards,

Huw.

I have yet to find one as well. Could be some distribution problems ? (quote)

As this is a promoted issue, is is particularly important that we know if, AND WHERE, there are distribution problems.

If you are having problems finding the mag in your area (Publication day was 3 December) please let me know by e-mailing:

chris.leigh@bauermedia.co.uk

so that I can present our distribution people with a clear picture of any problems.

Please state in which shops/towns you've been unable to find the mag.

(of course, we hope that it has sold out - but I have my doubts!)

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

i would just like to thank the team at modelrail for producing a great mag .i have been in to model railways for about 4 years and have nearly all the back issues.i find the information so useful.i think chris leigh should be honoured for all the work he has done in railway world.keep up the good work.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed here.

I might have a few niggles about various publishers' business models - but these are really nothing to do with all the decent people who write, edit, or otherwise contribute towards making these magazines what they are.

It's hard, often thankless, work made worse by trying to keep lots of readers (with conflicting interests) on board. There are also a number of other pressures which most of us readers can't even guess at.

Well done Chris - well done Ben - well done everyone connected with ModelRail.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to call this the "sneaky issue". When I flicked through it in the shops, the only reason I bought it was down to the track laying article as I am looking at other techniques for my 2010 challenge layout.

But, slowly but surely other articles have started appealing and I have now read about 3/4s of the magazine. Not sure why it did not grab my attention that well in the shop, but i'm glad it did.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm honoured to do the job I do but 'Lord Leigh of Barnwell' does have a certain ring to it!

We're queueing up to order our City of Truros from the NRM at present - then we're off later in the week to the seaside for Hornby's annual press day.... It's a lousy job but someone's got to do it!

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm honoured to do the job I do but 'Lord Leigh of Barnwell' does have a certain ring to it!

We're queueing up to order our City of Truros from the NRM at present - then we're off later in the week to the seaside for Hornby's annual press day.... It's a lousy job but someone's got to do it!

CHRIS LEIGH

I'll swap then Chris - you do my lorry driving job and I'll do yours :lol:

I like Model Rail, but there are times it realy winds me up, I see in this issue that it shows you how to make a Eurostar Cafe car.....I worked with Eurostar when it was being built, as one of the On site (and off site such as France / Belgium) BRB Resident Engineers, and during all the time that I worked with Eurostars vehicles the R6/13 was NEVER referred to as the Cafe car, it was always the Bar Car.

It had one of the most annoying cherry wood panels to the front of the bar, which was curved.....some of the time, as it used to straighten out in the warm!

These minor yet annoying misquotes of what things are actually called, keep creeping in though, my other pet hate is the term "Wipac" light clusters, wipac never made them, they only supplied the lamp unit, BMAC made the clusters!

And dont start me off on the inaccuate term "Nightstar".............

R

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ringo

This is interesting. I've used the "wipac" before to describe the light clusters because everyone knows what the phrase means but if it's wrong I'll change it no probs. What does BMAC stand for? Or just company initials?

And what's wrong with "Nightstar" - I always thought that was what the sleeper services were going to be branded...

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

And what's wrong with "Nightstar" - I always thought that was what the sleeper services were going to be branded...

cheers

Ben A.

Going off a hazy memory but think I read before that the proper term was 'Nightstock' and that Nightstar was something of an assumption made due to the similar name of Eurostar. I may be totally wrong of course!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ringo

This is interesting. I've used the "wipac" before to describe the light clusters because everyone knows what the phrase means but if it's wrong I'll change it no probs. What does BMAC stand for? Or just company initials?

cheers

Ben A.

Then trouble is, as you say, the word "Wipac" is the one commonly used in railway modelling, irrespective of whether it's technically correct or not, so changing to "BMAC" would just confuse people.

The price for a typical one-hour plus broadcast-quality professional DVD over the counter in this business is around ??20. An extra 69p is surely a bargain? MR has recently been the cheapest of the mainstream mags and has only gone to ??3.99 for one issue.

As to the use of terms like Nightstar, WIPAC and Cafe car, the railway publishing business, the railway hobby and the professional railway have been at odds over the names of equipment since the dawn of railways. (Railwaymen HATE the term Jinty, for instance, but pretty well every enthusiast knows what a Jinty is) We generally use either the names provided by PR/press agencies or the names by which enthusiasts know the item. WIPAC clusters are widely known, as are Nightstar coaches - everyone knows what's meant by such terms. With the greatest of respect, many of the terms used by railwaymen to describe their equipment are not repeatable in a magazine!

CHRIS LEIGH

Four current examples

Jan 2010 Mdl RR ??3.60

Nov HM ??3.45

Dec RM ??3.45

MRJ 195 ??3.75

If 50p or thereabouts over all the other mags is a rip off, then perhaps a visit to the local library will be better. They will get a copy for you and it'll be free to read.

As another example the magazine Games Workshop publish, White Dwarf has now reached ??4.50 a month. That is slightly more than the average and you don't normally get freebies!

• RMweb Gold

With the greatest of respect, many of the terms used by railwaymen to describe their equipment are not repeatable in a magazine!

Quite right! 'Tea and bad language'.... ;) :lol:

Now then, perhaps I'd better pop back downstairs from the Tower and get a copy from Smiths on the station after all....

• RMweb Gold

I remember a driver on a class 40 using his hands to indicate to us in the box that a class 40 was f... - err broken, I would love to reproduce that scene but I have a feeling the decency pilots would get me :blink: :lol:

(of course, we hope that it has sold out - but I have my doubts!)- quote

It appears that Model Rail 138 has sold out in some places. I've had complaints of non-availability in Basildon and Bournemouth WHS. Both stores have had copies and sold them. If you can't find the mag in your local store, please ask, as they may simply have not replenished their shelves.

CHRIS LEIGH

speaking from the Retail side, we do try and keep the shelves stocked as best we can, but can't magic up the stock from somewhere else if the warehouse is empty. Shame we at Hobbycraft dont sell Model Rail, then I could get it cheaper then! :lol:

NL happy reader of Model Rail since 1998!

Archived