Garden on the track at Bodmin Parkway

D1041

• RMweb Gold

Pretty sure at one point thet had tomatoes growing between the sleepers (could be wrong).

Twenty years ago there were several tomato plants (with fruits!) growing in the four foot on the up platform road at Totnes. We didn't fancy eating them though!

I seem to recall yonks ago they used to set controlled fire to the embankments to the east of Shenfield station (and probably in a ton of other places too). I believe that the problem was with the word "controlled" which stopped that.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Twenty years ago there were several tomato plants (with fruits!) growing in the four foot on the up platform road. We didn't fancy eating them though!

Not an unusual ocurance, East Croydon had them too. Aparently our guts are unable to digest the seeds so they get deposited on track with a bit of fertaliser to help them grow ;)

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall yonks ago they used to set controlled fire to the embankments to the east of Shenfield station (and probably in a ton of other places too). I believe that the problem was with the word "controlled" which stopped that.

Best, Pete.

Standard procedure on the Western was to burn off embankments/cutting sides etc every March and September (although i don't think it was necessarily always done). The increased use of cabled signalling circuits led to the S&T protesting about the procedure as not all of their cables were buried and tehre were incidents of controlled seasonal burning leading to damaged signal cables. And then of course the local gangs vanished so there was little or no labour to do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Story about tomato seeds from 1980s - at Minworth, the sewage treatment works for Birmingham, posh guy asked for some treated waste cake, and got it, free. Spread it on his huge, pristine lawn. Couple of months later comes back complaining that his (formerly) pristine lawn is sprouting hundreds of tomatoes.

• RMweb Gold

Went there myself last week whilst passing through on work business, and took this view of the B&WR branch connection waiting for a down express from Paddington:

post-57-0-71399000-1318794804.jpg

Very nice atmosphere there, quiet autumnal afternoon, with the DMU just chuntering gently to itself in the branch platform...

Archived